Any success stories after applying with UCSD Extension courses?

Hi guys!

I'll be a first time applicant this coming April and have taken Medical Terminology and am currently taking Biochemistry at UCSD Extension online. I am thinking of also taking genetics using this same program because of how expensive other universities are during the pandemic and how great UCSD Extension courses are. I am wondering if anyone knows any success stories about any applicants who have been accepted to PA programs with UCSD Extension courses on their CASPA application because I know UCSD Extension is a school on the dropdown menu when inputting coursework grades. I'd hate to throw money away only not to have them accepted by any programs. All my other pre-reqs have been completed at a 4 year university.

(Also on the UCSD site these courses have course codes that deem them 400 level science courses) 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Happy applying :) 

Hi! I did genetics through UCSD in the fall and really liked it. Very manageable amount of work, no lab, no midterm/final. Also, opportunity for extra credit. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I did 5 other prerequisite classes online (not UCSD though). First cycle applying and got into my top choice. Good luck!

Edited by SparkleDuck87
  • Like 1

Congrats on your top choice!! That's so awesome! I'm currently enrolled in their biochemistry course and am really enjoying it - I was just worried about taking both biochem and genetics and not having them accepted by any/most programs but your answer cleared it up. 

Thank you so much and good luck this coming PA year!! 🙂

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, SparkleDuck87 said:

Hi! I did genetics through UCSD in the fall and really liked it. Very manageable amount of work, no lab, no midterm/final. Also, opportunity for extra credit. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I did 5 other prerequisite classes online (not UCSD though). First cycle applying and got into my top choice. Good luck!

Any recommendations for online prerequisite courses?  I've looked into UCSD extensions, however trying to find more affordable courses. 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:42 PM, MirandaVta97 said:

Any recommendations for online prerequisite courses?  I've looked into UCSD extensions, however trying to find more affordable courses. 

So a few of the prerequisite courses I did required labs, and were considerably more expensive than UCSD (no lab). I think it depends what courses you still need, but UCSD was the cheapest I could find. I’ve only heard good things about doane, but I’m not sure of their cost. Not sure of your exact circumstances, but would a local community college course be an option for you? I looked into it, it was way cheaper, but I work two 24 hour shifts so it didn’t work with my schedule 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, gabmar said:

Hi guys!

I'll be a first time applicant this coming April and have taken Medical Terminology and am currently taking Biochemistry at UCSD Extension online. I am thinking of also taking genetics using this same program because of how expensive other universities are during the pandemic and how great UCSD Extension courses are. I am wondering if anyone knows any success stories about any applicants who have been accepted to PA programs with UCSD Extension courses on their CASPA application because I know UCSD Extension is a school on the dropdown menu when inputting coursework grades. I'd hate to throw money away only not to have them accepted by any programs. All my other pre-reqs have been completed at a 4 year university.

(Also on the UCSD site these courses have course codes that deem them 400 level science courses) 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Happy applying 🙂

Question- do you work full or part-time?? I am looking to take a chemistry class with them this summer but I am nervous because I work full-time!