Any success stories after applying with UCSD Extension courses?

Hi guys!

I'll be a first time applicant this coming April and have taken Medical Terminology and am currently taking Biochemistry at UCSD Extension online. I am thinking of also taking genetics using this same program because of how expensive other universities are during the pandemic and how great UCSD Extension courses are. I am wondering if anyone knows any success stories about any applicants who have been accepted to PA programs with UCSD Extension courses on their CASPA application because I know UCSD Extension is a school on the dropdown menu when inputting coursework grades. I'd hate to throw money away only not to have them accepted by any programs. All my other pre-reqs have been completed at a 4 year university.

(Also on the UCSD site these courses have course codes that deem them 400 level science courses) 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Happy applying :) 

Hi! I did genetics through UCSD in the fall and really liked it. Very manageable amount of work, no lab, no midterm/final. Also, opportunity for extra credit. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I did 5 other prerequisite classes online (not UCSD though). First cycle applying and got into my top choice. Good luck!

Edited by SparkleDuck87
  • Like 1

Congrats on your top choice!! That's so awesome! I'm currently enrolled in their biochemistry course and am really enjoying it - I was just worried about taking both biochem and genetics and not having them accepted by any/most programs but your answer cleared it up. 

Thank you so much and good luck this coming PA year!! 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, SparkleDuck87 said:

Hi! I did genetics through UCSD in the fall and really liked it. Very manageable amount of work, no lab, no midterm/final. Also, opportunity for extra credit. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I did 5 other prerequisite classes online (not UCSD though). First cycle applying and got into my top choice. Good luck!

Any recommendations for online prerequisite courses?  I've looked into UCSD extensions, however trying to find more affordable courses. 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:42 PM, MirandaVta97 said:

Any recommendations for online prerequisite courses?  I've looked into UCSD extensions, however trying to find more affordable courses. 

So a few of the prerequisite courses I did required labs, and were considerably more expensive than UCSD (no lab). I think it depends what courses you still need, but UCSD was the cheapest I could find. I’ve only heard good things about doane, but I’m not sure of their cost. Not sure of your exact circumstances, but would a local community college course be an option for you? I looked into it, it was way cheaper, but I work two 24 hour shifts so it didn’t work with my schedule 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PAStobe24
On 1/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, gabmar said:

Hi guys!

I'll be a first time applicant this coming April and have taken Medical Terminology and am currently taking Biochemistry at UCSD Extension online. I am thinking of also taking genetics using this same program because of how expensive other universities are during the pandemic and how great UCSD Extension courses are. I am wondering if anyone knows any success stories about any applicants who have been accepted to PA programs with UCSD Extension courses on their CASPA application because I know UCSD Extension is a school on the dropdown menu when inputting coursework grades. I'd hate to throw money away only not to have them accepted by any programs. All my other pre-reqs have been completed at a 4 year university.

(Also on the UCSD site these courses have course codes that deem them 400 level science courses) 

Happy applying 🙂

Question- do you work full or part-time?? I am looking to take a chemistry class with them this summer but I am nervous because I work full-time!

On 1/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, gabmar said:

Hi guys!

Happy applying 🙂

I am planning on taking the biochem course at UCSDE at the end of this month. How was the course? I work full time but am needing it for a program I would like to get into and need to do well! 

Thanks! 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, PAStobe24 said:

Question- do you work full or part-time?? I am looking to take a chemistry class with them this summer but I am nervous because I work full-time!

I work 2 jobs and both courses I've taken are super manageable! Biochem takes a bit more extra time for lectures and researching for discussions but I'm still about to finish with an A despite working full time with super wonky hours. Totally recommend!

On 3/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, Sabrinacage said:

I am planning on taking the biochem course at UCSDE at the end of this month. How was the course? I work full time but am needing it for a program I would like to get into and need to do well! 

Thanks! 

I'm finishing up their biochem course this week and I totally recommend it! I work full time with super late/super early hours and I still found the course very manageable. Weekly discussions and weekly quizzes without a final. The lectures themselves, depending on the chapters, take some time but overall I really enjoyed the course layout and how well it worked with peoples' schedules. I hope that helped!

Guest PAStobe24
10 hours ago, gabmar said:

I work 2 jobs and both courses I've taken are super manageable! Biochem takes a bit more extra time for lectures and researching for discussions but I'm still about to finish with an A despite working full time with super wonky hours. Totally recommend!

thank you so much for your reply!! this was definitely helpful

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, gabmar said:

I'm finishing up their biochem course this week and I totally recommend it! I work full time with super late/super early hours and I still found the course very manageable. Weekly discussions and weekly quizzes without a final. The lectures themselves, depending on the chapters, take some time but overall I really enjoyed the course layout and how well it worked with peoples' schedules. I hope that helped!

Quick question, I am considering taking UCSDE biochem without having taken Chem 2 or Ochem, do you think this is a terrible idea? Did you have both chem 2 and O chem prior to taking biochem? I am currently enrolled in their chem 1 course and am enjoying it and have taken another basic chem course. Thanks in advance! 

Sean

6 minutes ago, Seanb said:

Quick question, I am considering taking UCSDE biochem without having taken Chem 2 or Ochem, do you think this is a terrible idea? Did you have both chem 2 and O chem prior to taking biochem? I am currently enrolled in their chem 1 course and am enjoying it and have taken another basic chem course. Thanks in advance! 

Sean

I did take chem 2 and ochem 1 prior to the biochem course but that was out of pure coincidence. I think having taken chem 1 is honestly enough for how my own class was taught. Some basic knowledge of ochem was likely helpful (just really when looking at structures) but the course wasn't incredibly dependent on it (still got an A+ despite a horrible grade in ochem lol).

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, gabmar said:

I did take chem 2 and ochem 1 prior to the biochem course but that was out of pure coincidence. I think having taken chem 1 is honestly enough for how my own class was taught. Some basic knowledge of ochem was likely helpful (just really when looking at structures) but the course wasn't incredibly dependent on it (still got an A+ despite a horrible grade in ochem lol).

Hope that helps!

Thank you!

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, energizer said:

for the UCSD biochemistry course, was the grade only on weekly quizzes?  no exams or midterm or final?  was it open note online class? Is it an easy A course? 

Also for the UCSD genetics class, were there exams?  Was it an easy A course?  

Incredibly easy courses. Both with weekly quizzes, no final. Can be open note bc it's not proctored. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, SparkleDuck87 said:

On 3/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, gabmar said:

Hi,

Who were your professors for biochem and genetics?  I think professors may have changed from last year..

Were there any exams in genetics?  Were there any exams in biochem or just quizzes/discussions?  

On 9/19/2022 at 9:39 PM, energizer said:

for the UCSD biochemistry course, was the grade only on weekly quizzes?  no exams or midterm or final?  was it open note online class? Is it an easy A course? 

Also for the UCSD genetics class, were there exams?  Was it an easy A course?  

Hey. I took Biochem with Dr. Tam and Genetics with Dr. O’Keefe this year. Both classes have the same format for assignments. There is a weekly discussion board (due date varies) and weekly quiz (due Sunday). No final or midterm. It is open note. They have recorded lectures for each class. I found biochemistry to be more challenging than Genetics. I was not a fan of the PowerPoints they provided for biochem. Genetics lecture notes were more thorough and well organized. The classes are not easy As. But if you complete your work on time, and study efficiently, you will do fine.