How many schools did you apply to ?

How many schools did you apply to?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How many schools did you apply to?

Wow 31 schools... I'm sure my opinion doesn't count, but with such a stellar GPA--it wouldn't have been such a bad idea to take a year off and rack up on experience hours. Would have saved a lot of money. I don't even want to calculate how much 31 Caspa applications would cost...

Have some more confidence in yourself. :-)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-it wouldn't have been such a bad idea to take a year off and rack up on experience hours. Would have saved a lot of money.

I have to disagree with this. Although I think applying to 31 programs with a 3.8 is overkill and probably a waste of thousands of dollars, getting to be a PA a year earlier would definitely make you a lot more money. The average starting salary is around 80,000 for a PA so taking a year off and making around 25,000 as an EMT-B to save 2-3 thousand in application fees is not a great strategy if you have the money now to apply and a decent app.

I think the more you apply to, the more dedicated you are. Though I don't mean to say people who apply to one aren't dedicated. However, there is a point of diminishing returns. Like PAMAC said, you aren't really researching it thoroughly at 31. You may really want to be a PA, but you aren't caring enough about the training along the way and becoming the best PA possible. I could be totally wrong. What it definitely does say is that someone has too much money laying around.

I feel like I've talked this one to death, but..

I applied to four schools, all within driving distance of my home. Going into the application cycle I remember being fairly confident I would get in someplace. I had good grades, years of healthcare experience, and a proven ability to interview and write, so I didn't see why not. I joined this forum the summer I started classes, and I think it would have seriously f-ed up my confidence if I'd been on here reading during the application process. :)

I ended up interviewing at two of the schools, declining an interview to a third, and am attending my first choice.

Students who do their research and understand their own strengths and weaknesses shouldn't have a problem finding a fit someplace. I don't see anything crazy about applying to, say... 10 schools if you're casting a wide net and don't mind moving. If I didn't have family tying me here I might have done something similar, just to roll the dice and see where I landed, go on an adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied to 17 programs. My science GPA was a little bit lower but mostly I applied to that many school because I really wanted to go to PA school and didn't want to apply a second round. I did my research and applied to programs that I thought could be a good fit for me. I was offered 4 interviews but after being accepted into the program I wanted, I turned down the other three interviews. I don't regret applying to so many programs. I'm happy to be in a good program and if I had only applied to the programs in my area I wouldn't be a PA student right now.

Archived