New Graduate Plastic Surgery offer - help

Guest CAdreamer

Guest CAdreamer

Hi All, 

I am a new grad who is being offered a position in a plastic surgery office. I will be meeting with the Doc and office manager soon to discuss compensation and contracts. I need help with what to look for in the contract as well as how to ask for fair compensation. I dont have experience and would have to do a few months of heavy training before I can see patients on my own. The doctor is very supportive and understands this is needed and is happy to train. Once I am well versed and ready, he also wants me to take on the position of being a liaison between him and the clinical staff. 

According to Zip recruiter, the average pay for a Physician Assistant in Plastics in California is $130,000. Is it fair to ask for this much or do I start with less since I am a new graduate? 

What other things should I be looking for/asking when it comes to the contract? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to do this before. 

4 hours ago, CAdreamer said:

Hi All, 

I am a new grad who is being offered a position in a plastic surgery office. I will be meeting with the Doc and office manager soon to discuss compensation and contracts. I need help with what to look for in the contract as well as how to ask for fair compensation. I dont have experience and would have to do a few months of heavy training before I can see patients on my own. The doctor is very supportive and understands this is needed and is happy to train. Once I am well versed and ready, he also wants me to take on the position of being a liaison between him and the clinical staff. 

According to Zip recruiter, the average pay for a Physician Assistant in Plastics in California is $130,000. Is it fair to ask for this much or do I start with less since I am a new graduate? 

What other things should I be looking for/asking when it comes to the contract? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to do this before. 

Best options for you would be to obtain a copy of the AAPA salary report and take a look at that the going rate is in your locality and planned specialty. 

Next reach out to the academic faculty of your program and ask for some advice, they have a responsibility to your class to set you up for success in the career hunt.

There are just too many things for the online world to try and tell you, but:

Salary vs hourly, is there OT? Is there an element of production? Bonuses available and the criteria for obtaining? Are you expected to take call? Is there extra call pay or is it rolled into your package?

401K? Is it matched? When is it matched, is there a vesting period?

Benefits? Health? Vision? Dental? Employer provided? What's your contribution?

CME? How much? Do you have days off available for it? Are you restricted in your time to when your surgeon takes time off?

Is there PTO? How much? Sick days?

Strongly recommend you take a look back through this subforum for the last couple of years, review others' contracts and see what the good ones look like as well as the bad ones.