Mustache

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK: I'm old! And I had a mustache for almost 30 years, until it got gray before my hair did so I shaved it off. It was a disorienting day for my kids -- then in their 20s --  who had never seen me without it.

That said, I have to wonder: if someone is concerned enough about their interview appearance that they are considering shaving but then they don't, does that mean that their mustache was more important to them than their gut feeling?

I'm not saying that a mustache matters; how could we ever know?  As a student of individual behavior, it's just interesting that someone would follow their gut and maybe pick a different tie for their interview "just in case" but not shave.

It's just hair: it will grow back! Why go to an interview wondering if you're maybe down a couple of points just because of some hair?