Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I saw a job listing for a cardiology NP and applied. I am one of 11 PA's in the country who has completed a cardiology residency. I've worked 4 years in the CCU and 2 years in OP cardiology. I would imagine that I'm qualified for the position.. I was told that the job posters " can't consider a PA". Friggin b*llsh*t. 

Edited by bike mike
Link to post
Share on other sites

So they advertised for a PA, but then told you that they can't consider you because you're a PA? Sorry for your experience with this. Did they state why? I've seen practices, hospitals that prefer NPs (and that's another discussion). I would love to know why in this case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

So they advertised for a PA, but then told you that they can't consider you because you're a PA? Sorry for your experience with this. Did they state why? I've seen practices, hospitals that prefer NPs (and that's another discussion). I would love to know why in this case.

Sorry, typo. Yes, they advertised for an NP and denied my application because I'm a PA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bike mike said:

Sorry, typo. Yes, they advertised for an NP and denied my application because I'm a PA. 

I've gotten to where like bikeMike I apply to NP jobs now.  Most are just leaving PA's off all their ads...a few will still consider you as a PA even though the ad says NP.

I swear I have been the voice in the wilderness about this for 10 years and all I get is..."everything is fine, just move states...bs".  This is the new normal and we can't even decide to drop "Assistant".  FFS it makes you want to just scream sometimes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a quick scroll through those jobs and there is some real crap in there. Some with hourly rates as low as $45. Having  used Indeed before I can attest many of their "active" postings aren't.

Yes there are 129 jobs listed but you'd have to dig through them a bit to see how many are actually active and how many are even worth serious consideration. A UC in the metroplex looking for a contract PA for 55-65/hr? Garbage.

Edited by sas5814
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PickleRick said:

For Cid:

 

Physician Assistant Jobs, Employment in Dallas, TX | Indeed.com

 

 129 PA jobs within a 25 mile radius of Dallas, Tx.  Quit your bullshit.

 

 

.

 

 

.

The problem is that there is a job in my field, in my desired area, with MUCH better pay than I am getting now and I'm "not qualified" simply because I'm a PA. Yes, I could get another PA cardiology job somewhere else but the fact that I'm being denied a job because I'm a PA is total bullsh*t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Annoying and frustrating. Similar issues in my area - particular health systems seem to have a preference for NPs over PAs (evidenced by having NP only postings and when a position is listed for a PA it is dual listed for NP). And these are positions where any sort of independent practice advantage that a NP may have would not even be a factor as they are hospital based.

But despite what one poster insinuated this isn't a state for federal policy that needs to change - it is a hospital systems based one. The people that run these systems and departments know very well the capabilities of a PA, but for one reason or another have a NP preference. Life sucks sometimes.

 

To the OP - maybe you can figure out who the top doc is at this site and email them directly with your CV and explain that you would love to work with them. Perhaps he/she will have HR create or edit the job posting to include PA eligibility? Tough situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dphy83 said:

But despite what one poster insinuated this isn't a state for federal policy that needs to change - it is a hospital systems based one. The people that run these systems and departments know very well the capabilities of a PA, but for one reason or another have a NP preference. Life sucks sometimes.

I think one big driving force is the number of nurses in admin vs PAs. They look after their own. At my last position the CNO was at the top of the food chain for all the NPs and PAs. She was an RN. When I asked the (physician) VP why he just shrugged.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I think one big driving force is the number of nurses in admin vs PAs. They look after their own. At my last position the CNO was at the top of the food chain for all the NPs and PAs. She was an RN. When I asked the (physician) VP why he just shrugged.

Bingo. There's a nurse behind this most likely.  This is why it's important for PAs to get into admin roles so they can fight this kind of thing.  Folks who are looking to get out of clinical practice in a few years ought to look into getting a master's of health care administration or an MBA degree and make some really money in admin.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
9 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I think one big driving force is the number of nurses in admin vs PAs. They look after their own. At my last position the CNO was at the top of the food chain for all the NPs and PAs. She was an RN. When I asked the (physician) VP why he just shrugged.

I would have raised hollllllyyyy heck

 

no way as a PA am I going to fall under a CNO - nope nadda, not gonna happen....  I would recommend splitting off and joining the other medical model providers (the doc's)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dfw6er said:

.....This is why it's important for PAs to get into admin roles so they can fight this kind of thing.....

"Assistant".   

Good luck as long as this is the case.  Even the AAPA consulting group recommended a complete change to "Practitioner".  As long as we have "Assistant" or "Associate" in our name, we will never advance in mass into leadership roles.  It really is that simple.

Edited by Cideous
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

4 hours ago, Cideous said:

"Assistant".   

Good luck as long as this is the case.  Even the AAPA consulting group recommended a complete change to "Practitioner".  As long as we have "Assistant" or "Associate" in our name, we will never advance in mass into leadership roles.  It really is that simple.

MDs don't even get hired. 

 "Young ER doctors risk their lives on the pandemic’s front lines. But they struggle to find jobs." https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/04/er-doctors-covid-jobs/

Hospitals are closing, physicians are out of jobs. This is why physician organization such as AMA and AAEM are calling us incompetent. 

We are screwed if we continue to be with tied down with the physicians. 

Get rid of assistant in our title and get rid of physician in our title as well before it is too late. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More