in MASS we are not even permitted to work in this setting.  There was legislation which enabled/set up these little clinics and PA were not listed as providers able to staff them.  We now have the backing of Minute Clinic and trying to get regulations/legislation changed.   

granted these are not great jobs - but as we have seen the job market can dry up- and then "any port in the storm" can be true and not be considered for a simple job sucks.....

Another example of where "Assistant" not old did not help us, but hurt us....

Not that I want to work in a minute clinic, but this needs to change!  Looking at their career website, 11 postings for PAs and 91 postings for NPs.  What doesn't make sense to me is why PAs are not considered in certain states where NPs are not independent?  I'm in Ohio and I can't understand why they won't consider PAs.  NPs are not independent here.  So, what is the deciding factor on excluding PAs? 

I don't know but it happens. There is a new UC being built in my small town and the ad for a provider was for NPs only. Why? Well as it turns out the company is based in a NP independent state and has lots of clinics in NP independent states so that is what they know best and prefer. It is sort of "bleed over" into a state where we both have the same practice act.

I dropped a resume just to shake things up even though I'm not looking for UC work. I thought if I break the ice it might open them up to PAs.

9 hours ago, ventana said:

in MASS we are not even permitted to work in this setting.  There was legislation which enabled/set up these little clinics and PA were not listed as providers able to staff them.  We now have the backing of Minute Clinic and trying to get regulations/legislation changed.   

granted these are not great jobs - but as we have seen the job market can dry up- and then "any port in the storm" can be true and not be considered for a simple job sucks.....

Another example of where "Assistant" not old did not help us, but hurt us....

I work per diem at an urgent care in MA. From everything I've read I am much happier at the UC then at minute clinic where I would have to do all my own intake, cleaning the room, swabs, etc. At UC the medical assistants and secretary do all of that which saves a ton of time. Plus the pay at UC is great.

Edited by MedicinePower
15 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

I work per diem at an urgent care in MA. From everything I've read I am much happier at the UC then at minute clinic where I would have to do all my own intake, cleaning the room, swabs, etc. At UC the medical assistants and secretary do all of that which saves a ton of time. Plus the pay at UC is great.

Very true

BUT

The fact of the matter is that YOU CAN NOT WORK IN A MINUTE CLINIC IN MASS.   No matter your qualifications, or abilities you are not allowed, but some new grad NP can......  sad and needs to change.

• Upvote 1

Funny enough I recently applied to Minute Clinic just because I'm looking for UC work in Mass, here is the email response-

"Hi -----,

Thank you for your interest in an opportunity with CVS Minute Clinic.  I left you a voice mail and thought I would follow up via email as well.  At this time we are not able to hire Physician Assistants in Massachusetts.   We only have 9 states where we can hire PAs at this time which is MD, MN, NE, NC, MN, RI, TN, CT and TX.

Thanks so much again!"

On 1/19/2021 at 8:33 AM, ventana said:

Very true

BUT

The fact of the matter is that YOU CAN NOT WORK IN A MINUTE CLINIC IN MASS.   No matter your qualifications, or abilities you are not allowed, but some new grad NP can......  sad and needs to change.

Is this a law or minute clinic rules?  

43 minutes ago, Monte said:

Funny enough I recently applied to Minute Clinic just because I'm looking for UC work in Mass, here is the email response-

"Hi -----,

Thank you for your interest in an opportunity with CVS Minute Clinic.  I left you a voice mail and thought I would follow up via email as well.  At this time we are not able to hire Physician Assistants in Massachusetts.   We only have 9 states where we can hire PAs at this time which is MD, MN, NE, NC, MN, RI, TN, CT and TX.

Thanks so much again!"

Sick...

While its great to have equity under law and policy, as the OP says these are not positions you'd want. I know one person who did it for a while and they were pressured to push all kinds of OTC things on the "customer." It's a dirty business in some places.

2 hours ago, CJAadmission said:

While its great to have equity under law and policy, as the OP says these are not positions you'd want. I know one person who did it for a while and they were pressured to push all kinds of OTC things on the "customer." It's a dirty business in some places.

More than not wanting these jobs is the desire to keep a roof over your head, eat, and make school loan payments on time.

• Upvote 2