What makes the pediatric specialty SPECIAL!?

Hello I am a PA student at Howard University and I am currently taking an intro to PA course and I have an assignment to speak with some PA's in a specialty I am interested in, pediatrics, to get an opinion on why pediatrics is special. If you are working in, interested in, or just have experience in pediatrics please share with me why you love the specialty and what is unique about it. THANKS!!

I have been in pediatrics combined (Resp. Therapy and PA experience) for over 18 years now. I was amazed at how resilient children are when it comes to serious illness. It is still amazing to me how a child out of cardiac surgery wants out of the crib into their loved ones arms. Also, most of what happens to a child is not due to their own fault. I don't have to lecture them about cigarretes and asthma (although lots of parents get the lecture when their child comes in w/ asthma exacerbation). Not everyone is made for pediatrics, but those who are enjoy it despite the crying, the sometimes annoying/demanding parents, and sorrow when a life is hanging by a thread or there is little to offer in terms of treatment. What gets me through is hearing the contagious laughter while being tickled, the awe at seeing something new and interesting, or the simple look of gratitude when you have helped ease the pain or fear of a child just by talking to them about Dora the Explorer or Elmo. Good luck to you!

People who choose peds often say they find kids easier to treat because they didn't make themselves sick. (well, usually not) I can appreciate this part of it...and I agree that for the most part it is amazing how well kids bounce back from illness or injury. I could never do straight peds because, while I like kids, I do not like parents. (Same reason I could never be a veterinarian.)

I have worked both part time and full time in the ER for years, both between and during my CV Surgery jobs. Most of the ED's I have worked, the PA see's the kids. I currently work in an ER with a dedicated peds ER staffed by Pediatric ED doc's and PA's. I have a personal policy that with kids I do not lie to them. If I am going to give them Xylocaine prior to suturing up a laceration I tell them yes this medicine is going to sting and burn some but it is over quickly. I do this despite the usual parent that is standing behind the kid shaking their head and waving their arms like they are directing a jumbo jet to land saying Nooooooo... But what I have found is that they might cry and not like what you are saying to them but when it is all over and done, they too, appreciate being told the truth. Remember if the helathcare provider taking care of them (PA, MD, DO, or ARNP) lies to them, then they will never know who to trust.

Just my 2 cents worth

CVT PA

Archived