Verbal Offer = Job Secured?

I recently interviewed and accepted a verbal job offer with a staffing firm for an EM job.  I am a new graduate, so still have the process of obtaining licenses, credentialing, etc, ahead of me, and know that it will be at least a few months before I have a formal start date.  During my last correspondence with the recruiter, I asked about obtaining a written contract and any contingencies about the offer that I should consider. He did not address my questions directly, but has told me they consider the position filled with my offer and thus won’t be considering other applicants. I know they are contacting my references and a formal salary negotiation will take place at a later date. While I very much feel it is a great position, due to my unfamiliarity with how staffing agencies/ED hiring processes are conducted, I am unsure if should I still be applying to other jobs/making plan “B” preparations. At what point should I feel sure I have truly landed the job? Thanks for the insight.

They likely have other candidates in consideration until a written offer is presented and signed. Verbal offer means squat, especially through a third party, and prior to a salary negotiation. A lot of ERs are staffed through ER staffing groups such as a locums companies, EmCare, TeamHealth, etc. This may likely lead to a job but I would have at least a plan B and C. If this plan A works out, you can gracefully withdraw consideration from B and C with no hard feelings.

Edited by wookie

Ok

so they “said they want you”. “Through a recruiter”

no you do not have a job.  You can politely ask them fir a contract so that you can stop your job search.  Do not feel bad about this.  Be polite and professional.   But until you have a contract and ALL things negotiated, and work first day, you do nit have a job.   

their used to be a little honor in the staffing world.   COVID took even that little bit away.  

protect yourself. Have atty review all contracts.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the information, your insight is helpful. I have an upcoming tour of the ED with the staff, but I will directly ask for a contract soon after from the firm. The hiring process is not very transparent to me, but it sounds like if this truly is a committed offer, then I should have a contract in no more than a few weeks?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Apollo1 said:

Do y'all in EM try to find out what the starting rate is with a certain group vs. what is marketed by a recruiter? Rumor has it that it's not unheard of for a recruiter to list a lower starting and pocket the difference.

honestly, this would not surprise me. I have never used a recruiter to find an EM job. All the good ones are word of mouth. 

• Upvote 1

If you are in touch with the hospital/practice, and not communicating strictly through the recruiter, I would say just email them (ALWAYS have a written record!! Email serves this purpose perfectly for this) and tell them you haven't received a contract or letter with formal offer yet, and ask them when they will be providing you with this.

You don't have to ask whether or not you should continue looking for jobs, but you could tell them that without a contract or formal letter of hire you will have to continue pursuing other opportunities. Be polite, be professional.

How long ago was it the recruiter told you they are hiring you? And when, in these communications, did you get the tour scheduled?

Based on the premise that these things weren't in the last day or so (should be at least a week), you could email something like:

"Dear (Hiring Manager),

I was delighted to be informed by my recruiter of your intention to hire me, and I am looking forward greatly to my scheduled tour on (date). 

I have not yet received a contract or a formal letter of hire, so since I of course have many feelers out for a suitable position, I would greatly appreciate it if you could get that to me as soon as possible.

Thank you,

(You)".

You can cc it to the Chief PA or attending who has been primarily working with you , like whoever it was that scheduled or is conducting your tour, etc. Or you could just ask them (email) about when you should expect the contract.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1