Staff at major hospitals “skipping the line” for COVID shots

I find this troubling. I had this sense close to the beginning in mid-December, as I watched people without direct patient care posting selfies of their vaccine cards, that something might not be quite right. My hospital seemed to be doing the right thing, but then today I heard about vaccinations going to staff who are 100% telework and without other qualifying demographics. Just working for a healthcare institution does not justify a healthy young person without increased risk receiving this vaccine ahead of the elderly and high risk. I know for a fact that the nursing homes in my area haven’t been fully vaccinated. Even some of the inpatient nurses on non-Covid floors haven’t gotten shots yet, and they certainly qualify as “essential.”

I don’t know where this communication breakdown began between the CDC, states, and institutions, and it’s enraging that this is being so poorly managed on such a wide scale.

NYT article

Workers who have nothing to do with patient care, and who are not 75 or older, have been offered the shots. Some of the institutions were among the first recipients of the limited supplies in the United States.”

“The only reason that they have as much vaccine as they have was because they were custodians of vaccine — because they have cold storage,” the official said. “It wasn’t N.Y.U.’s vaccine to use for N.Y.U.”

I can't comment about this specific situation, but there have been some vaccine providers that have had to open up vaccines to folks not on the current list because of insufficient response from those eligible.  The whole process has been less than ideal in many states/counties, with many local administrators trying to make sure no doses go to waste.

• Upvote 1

When the Pfizer vaccine was made available the local newspaper posted a picture of the Chief Executive Officer at the University of Iowa Hospitals and his staff being first in line to get the  vaccine by the head of pharmacy on the first day it was available. It then went on to say that all the pharmacists and lab personnel received theirs also that day. Their rationale was that they wanted to set the example.

Really peeved me when they knowingly jumped the line over boots on the ground personnel that should have been first.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper but it wasn't published. Must not have been deemed as interesting as the legalize marihuana  letters that has dominated the local news spin cycle.

And so my father in law sits in a Extended Care facility without COVID protection and these low risk people are vaccinated

And so it goes. Could have seen this coming a mile away

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I can't comment about this specific situation, but there have been some vaccine providers that have had to open up vaccines to folks not on the current list because of insufficient response from those eligible.  The whole process has been less than ideal in many states/counties, with many local administrators trying to make sure no doses go to waste.

Yeah our hospital now has a “standby” list so no doses are wasted at the end of the day. But it’s only open to employees. There’s no mechanism to take those doses into the community.