Why did you become a PA vs. MD?

I was just curious why YOU chose the PA path.

I noticed that a typical PA program is around 108 weeks long where as Medical school program is around 153 weeks. When there is such little difference between the schooling (I've heard you take courses with med students anyway at some schools), and there is only about 48 weeks more of schooling for med school, what made you decide to go the PA route instead?

I've had people say to me, "why don't you just go to med school if you're going to invest that much time post bachelor's"? Or they say, "why would you want to be the assistant when you can be the doctor"? etc. etc. Have you ever had anyone say that to you before or after school and how do you respond?

Also, what are some of the pros and cons of being a PA?

Additionally, if you could give any advice to a future PA student, what would it be?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Lisa would be the one to talk to about the differences between PA and Med school. She is in the first class of PA to DO's at LECOM. From what she has said there are some pretty substantial differences. I just want to practice medicine. My son is due around Halloween, and I don't want to miss the years that he still actually wants to hang out with Dad because i'm in MS III-IV and residency. When I was deployed I realized that time with family is THE most important part of my life, so this gives me the best of both worlds. I'm a provider, but i'm not in school forever. Sure i've had people ask why I would just be an 'assistant' when they think i'm 'smart enough' to finish an MD. That's why I don't even say Physician Assistant anymore, I just say PA. I say I will be a licensed medical provider after completing the Masters degree. Seems to work for most.

Acebecker,

I have done research on it but I'd like to see more responses. There are only so many opinions out there on PA vs. MD and I'd like to get a wider audience. Plus you can't generalize with sample populations, I just want varying opinions. Also, I tried to do a history search for other possible questions on this forum but I couldn't find any older postings on this topic. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

I also hope I didn't offend anyone because I wasn't implying anything about MD being better than PA by what I saying, I was actually quoting people that have said that to me.

One other question though is, do you think a lot of PA's might go the med route with the pending 3 year medical degree programs, when PA programs are 2-2.5 years and it would only be an additional 6 months to a year for med program?

jsfelder0417,

I can understand the route you are taking for family. However, I'm not having children nor do I want children (we had that taken care of with vasectomy), and I'm kind of at a crossroads because, I've heard so many people say great things about both areas.

Like you, I don't think it's a matter of me not being able to do med school, but that I want to start practicing medicine right away. I don't want to have to be in school for a long amount of time (I'm 30 and not getting any younger lol). This is a career change for me and I'm trying to do the right things to get to where I need to be.

I'm still up in the air with what area I actually want to practice in (which is why you'll probably see a lot of postings about my various interests in specialties).

I just wanted to hear some pros and cons of the actual process (what it's like to be in PA school, and then the pros and cons of what it's like to be a professional PA).

IMO, if you are under 35, have all the prereqs, debt not holding you back, no prior HCE, especially if you don't have/want kids, and have to think MD vs PA, go MD no question. Impatience should not factor into it. Go to a three year med school for primary care specialties and then you'll be practicing medicine almost just as soon as a PA (and with the same autonomy) by being intern/resident. Then after residency you can actually move up in the world. Open your own business, hire your own PAs so you can have more home time, be a FP and take shifts in the ER without finding a new SP, ect, ect.

Yep, go to med school.

I chose PA school at a relatively young age (25) because I have a child and want to go into surgery and not spend 4 years of med school plus 5-7 years of residency and am okay with first assisting and doing perioperative care. Sounds like you'll regret not going to med school.

I have a pretty hard time imagining myself regretting time with family over getting an MD/DO. Maybe when my kid is older, say grade school age there will be more PA to MD/DO programs out there (Hopefully in someplace warmer than Erie, PA) and I will jump in one. Right now, I am very happy where I am at. I'm a 25 year old veteran with an expanding family, 2 houses and the GI Bill to pay for my Masters degree. I believe i'm doing pretty good.

Archived