Interesting COVID realty

A little over 400k Americans died in WW2 and we are approaching that number fast.  But yeah...it's a hoax...it's just like the flu...it will go away "like a miracle".  This has been the biggest failure of a presidential administration in the history of this country and it has cost Americans hundreds of thousands of deaths.  And while hospitals are getting crushed right now....our president golfs.  Nothing else...just golfs.

Disgusting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Saw Marc Eckstein (LA Fire Med Dir./former FDNY paramedic) on ABC News tonight and I was surprised to hear him say that they hadn’t ever gone to a non-ROSC/terminate care policy like some other municipalities.  I think we all know that trauma CPR cases essentially don’t survive.  I frankly don’t have an issue with this policy even in a non-COVID/divert setting.  I didn’t hear anything about field O2 rationing though I have heard it mentioned previously.  One guy tonight, waiting on a bed, said he was fortunate to have gotten O2 via NC.  What a mess.  One of the major health networks here in N. Texas terminating elective procedures again with occupancy rates around 25% in the metroplex.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Saw Marc Eckstein (LA Fire Med Dir./former FDNY paramedic) on ABC News tonight and I was surprised to hear him say that they hadn’t ever gone to a non-ROSC/terminate care policy like some other municipalities.  I think we all know that trauma CPR cases essentially don’t survive.  I frankly don’t have an issue with this policy even in a non-COVID/divert setting.  I didn’t hear anything about field O2 rationing though I have heard it mentioned previously.  One guy tonight, waiting on a bed, said he was fortunate to have gotten O2 via NC.  What a mess.  One of the major health networks here in N. Texas terminating elective procedures again with occupancy rates around 25% in the metroplex.

They are only giving o2 to folks with sats below 90% according to an NPR story today. I would have no issue about not transporting medical codes without rosc after 20 min of field resuscitation attempts. Trauma codes close to a major trauma center(like within 10 min to a level one or two) probably deserve a chance for a trauma surgeon to do a miracle, but out in the stix....nope. 

• Upvote 1

It's weird, LACFD protocols already had a strong recommendation against transporting without ROSC other than ECMO qualifiers (which has been put on hold)

Not sure why they are making such a damn big deal out of it, find it annoying and sensationalist especially for NPR. No oxygen for SpO2 >90 I'm totally ok with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MediMike said:

It's weird, LACFD protocols already had a strong recommendation against transporting without ROSC other than ECMO qualifiers (which has been put on hold)

Not sure why they are making such a damn big deal out of it, find it annoying and sensationalist especially for NPR. No oxygen for SpO2 >90 I'm totally ok with.

Maybe this was what I was thinking of.  I seem to recall that he was one of those at the annual Eagles EMS conference in Dallas w/ UTSW that didn’t have an issue with the non-transport decision.

I know I’ve brought it up in the past, but when things get back to a semblance of normal and you have CME bucks to spend and are in EM/EMS, treat yourself to attending this conference once and be on the cutting edge of decision making and new ideas in this field.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Maybe this was what I was thinking of.  I seem to recall that he was one of those at the annual Eagles EMS conference in Dallas w/ UTSW that didn’t have an issue with the non-transport decision.

I know I’ve brought it up in the past, but when things get back to a semblance of normal and you have CME bucks to spend and are in EM/EMS, treat yourself to attending this conference once and be on the cutting edge of decision making and new ideas in this field.

Yeah I mean outside of ECMO CPR candidates it's really considered best practice not to transport folks in. Multiple studies have shown it, I actually just did an SGEM podcast on a JAMA article covering this with Ken Milne.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2770622

Observational trial but matches all the other ones out there. While doing research for it though I was a little surprised by some of the stuff out there regarding CPR quality during transport etc.