I am graduating this summer from undergrad at UCONN. I faced some personal issues during my sophomore year that caused me to take the spring semester off, and I probably jumped back into a full course load too soon because I struggled to get passing grades the returning semester and into the next year of school. Ultimately my GPA really suffered and I went from a 3.7 down below a 3. I am working to boost my gpa as much as possible before I graduate, but I know this will be the real cause of issue while applying to PA schools in the future. I have already accumulated over 1000 hours as a CNA in assisted living and hospital settings and I will have much more by the time I do apply. However, I know the real red flag of my application will be my horrible GPA. I am currently looking into applying to get a masters degree in biology or something in hope that it will show that I am capable of handling the rigor of PA school. If anyone has any suggestions on what major to apply to grad school, if this is even a beneficial idea, or anything to help I would greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by caroline2021
On 1/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, ANESMCR said:

You don’t necessarily need to go get a MSc. That also won’t erase your BSc Gpa. Why not just retake or continue taking prereq’s for another semester or two and get your Gpa >3?

Many schools now accept graduate GPAs. That is why I was advised to apply to a masters program. However, in your opinion, would it look better then instead to retake those prereqs for a better grade that to have a masters. 

1 hour ago, caroline2021 said:

Many schools now accept graduate GPAs. That is why I was advised to apply to a masters program. However, in your opinion, would it look better then instead to retake those prereqs for a better grade that to have a masters. 

You could take either road and be fine. Depends on your goals. You have to weigh each option appropriately. What would a MSc in biomed/biology/etc do for you in regard to being a PA? Probably absolutely nothing. Would it open up opportunity to apply to med school or perhaps a nonclinical/lab occupation, sure. Would it serve in place of your undergrad Gpa? Absolutely. 

If you only plan on becoming a PA, I personally don’t see the benefit vs retaking classes and taking additional supplemental prereq’s.  

Edited by ANESMCR

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kyrah1988
      Hi all,
      I am a third time CASPA user and I am looking for some slither of hope. I didn’t do well at all my first three years of Undergraduate. My cGPA is 2.4 and sGPA is 2.75. Not any better. I am a non traditional student and have not attended school since 2014. I also have over 11000 HCE. I wanted to know are there any PA programs out there that have grade replacement or grade forgiveness. I wanted a more updated list. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Stay healthy my people. 
    • By EdeeLeslie
      Hi!
      I'm new to this forum and desperately need the help of people who has knowledge of what it takes to become a PA! I'm a current undergrad student, a sophomore majoring in Global Public Health with a possible minor in Biology. I'm on the road to obtaining all my prerequisites, but I'm really struggling with the patient care experience hours needed. Most schools I'm viewing need 1,000 plus hours which seems insane to me. I feel like most of the jobs acceptable for direct patient care contact are things that need even more schooling, such as an MA or EMT. I've applied many places to become a Medical Scribe, or PT Aide but haven't heard back. Am I doomed to take a gap year after I get my bachelor's? I don't know how to get the needed experience without prior experience. I wrote on all my applications I'm open to complete volunteer work but still nothing. 
      Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 
    • By masval2
      Hello!
      I have browsing this forum for awhile and appreciate everyones time and advice.
      To explain a little about my situation, I have a BA in Kinesiology that i completed in 2016. I became a personal trainer after school and really fell in love with client interactions, but felt as though I could do more for myself and my career. I went back to complete some science pre requisites for Physical Therapy school but realized DPT wasn't for me. I decided to leave my job at the commercial training job to work with partners/friends at a private training gym that we started together. This was tough at the time, and unfortunately COVID ruined our business, and lost my job.
      I was lost, bitter and decided I no longer wanted to be a trainer anymore. I hate the business side of it after grinding in that sector for years, but love working with patients and healthcare. I wanted more for my life. My family is full of medical professionals and always loved the healthcare environment. I decided to go back to school online while locked down to keep me busy and learning more about health. I was accepted into an MS of kinesiology and have been realizing that its not as fun for me as it used to be since I want something different. I am fully intending to apply to PA school next year after I finish my masters and remaining pre-reqs this summer.
      With that being said, I currently have the option to switch my graduate focus from MS Kinesiology to MS Health Sciences, which has courses in Epidemiology, Global Health, Theories and models of health behaviors, Program design and evaluation, etc.
      I emailed my advisor to make the switch as I feel as though it will make my application stronger for PA school, but am now unsure if it will make a difference between MS Kine or Health Sciences. 
      Any thoughts or comments?
      Thank you so much for your time
    • By itskimchi
      I'm looking into PA school requirements and have seen that most require Human Anatomy & lab, and Human Physiology & lab. My current university (UCSD) only offers a Human Physiology lecture course. Most of the city colleges I'm looking into in order to fulfill this pre-req only offer Human Anatomy or Human Physiology as a single course of lecture and lab, rather than having separate lecture and lab courses. Do PA schools accept lecture & lab combination courses or do they want each lecture and lab to be a separate course?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More