Hpsp scholarship: salary after graduation

I am in the process of hiring on at the VA and I'm not sure anyone can tell you what your salary would be because the VA has a weird system of hiring. 

First you have to interview, be accepted,  and be given a provisional offer which doesn't include a salary offer. Then You have to do everything...interviews, background check, credentials, fingerprints...the whole schmear...and then they tell you what you salary offer is.

I am 8 weeks into the process and have spoken to the medical director twice (and she acts like I'm already an employee) and my paperwork will go to credentials on the 6th (maybe). After I'm credentialed some group or board will look at my education level, experience, and interview scores and determine where I fit on the pay scale. Then there is a regional adjustment based on comparative salaries in the region so the VA will be making competitive offers. THEN I'll find out what my salary offer is.

I can only guess a salary range right now. I'm anticipating having to try for a sign on bonus to keep my earnings where I'd like them to be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sas5814 said:

I am in the process of hiring on at the VA and I'm not sure anyone can tell you what your salary would be because the VA has a weird system of hiring. 

First you have to interview, be accepted,  and be given a provisional offer which doesn't include a salary offer. Then You have to do everything...interviews, background check, credentials, fingerprints...the whole schmear...and then they tell you what you salary offer is.

I am 8 weeks into the process and have spoken to the medical director twice (and she acts like I'm already an employee) and my paperwork will go to credentials on the 6th (maybe). After I'm credentialed some group or board will look at my education level, experience, and interview scores and determine where I fit on the pay scale. Then there is a regional adjustment based on comparative salaries in the region so the VA will be making competitive offers. THEN I'll find out what my salary offer is.

I can only guess a salary range right now. I'm anticipating having to try for a sign on bonus to keep my earnings where I'd like them to be

Weren't you retiring?

14 minutes ago, CJAadmission said:

I wonder how many people walk on the basis of the salary? Seems like a potentially colossal waste of time for all parties.

VA pay is pretty competitive and consider that they also paid for PA school and/or will be paying off loans. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...