LECOM APAP

23 hours ago, NavyEMPA said:

I interviewed and was not impressed with the APAP program. I have a couple of buddies who went through the program so I feel like I’m aware of a lot of the struggles, but the guy who is in charge of the program clearly doesn’t have any respect for PAs. 

of note, you rank which program you want. So if you want to do the 4 year program you can rank it #1 instead of APAP. 

Did you end up finding a seat in med school?

Also, the idea of doing the 4 year program after applying for APAP puzzles me because IIRC LECOM also has a 3 year traditional Primary Care track for premeds. Why not give them a slot there too. 

I also applied at LECOM a 2 years ago and was turned off by their program and ended up taking a spot at a traditional 4 year program.  IMO the 1 less year at LECOM is not worth the downsides of the program in the long run. The cost savings of LECOM was appealing but in the grand scheme of things, med school and residency is a long path no matter which way you go.  Taking an extra year but having holiday and summer breaks makes it tolerable. I could not fathom doing med school straight through without the time off. On top of that, LECOM did not seem like a collaborative environment. Take this with perspective, I was there for a weekend interviewing and this is what I garnished.

If you are 100% committed to primary care, LECOM might not be the worst idea. However, lack of cadaver lab, dress code, mandatory lectures (not sure if this is still a thing), and lack of any breaks/time off due to accelerated curriculum timeline sounds miserable.  I did decide to go DO and am happy with my decision.  

Best of luck to all PAs going back to med school.  It is not easy, but if you love medicine and have a vision for what you want your practice to be, you will succeed and do well.  

All programs have their respective quirks and downsides, mine included. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PAtoMD said:

Did you end up finding a seat in med school?

Also, the idea of doing the 4 year program after applying for APAP puzzles me because IIRC LECOM also has a 3 year traditional Primary Care track for premeds. Why not give them a slot there too. 

I got into LECOM but ended up declining. I ended up applying to a couple other schools and haven’t been invited for interviews or rejected, so who knows. I didn’t have an MCAT score until October so I think that’s an issue for this cycle. Also the military won’t let out for next year so I’d have to request deferral anyway. How about yourself?

7 hours ago, NavyEMPA said:

I got into LECOM but ended up declining. I ended up applying to a couple other schools and haven’t been invited for interviews or rejected, so who knows. I didn’t have an MCAT score until October so I think that’s an issue for this cycle. Also the military won’t let out for next year so I’d have to request deferral anyway. How about yourself?

Yeah, I was able to get off a waitlist a few weeks before my program started. Just a few more weeks of my first semester. Crazy how time flies.

Best of luck to you as things go on. Its nice that you have an MCAT score now. If you don't get in this cycle you'll be able to submit early this coming summer which is super beneficial. 

21 hours ago, Kanaha said:

I also applied at LECOM a 2 years ago and was turned off by their program and ended up taking a spot at a traditional 4 year program.  IMO the 1 less year at LECOM is not worth the downsides of the program in the long run. The cost savings of LECOM was appealing but in the grand scheme of things, med school and residency is a long path no matter which way you go.  Taking an extra year but having holiday and summer breaks makes it tolerable. I could not fathom doing med school straight through without the time off. On top of that, LECOM did not seem like a collaborative environment. Take this with perspective, I was there for a weekend interviewing and this is what I garnished.

If you are 100% committed to primary care, LECOM might not be the worst idea. However, lack of cadaver lab, dress code, mandatory lectures (not sure if this is still a thing), and lack of any breaks/time off due to accelerated curriculum timeline sounds miserable.  I did decide to go DO and am happy with my decision.  

Best of luck to all PAs going back to med school.  It is not easy, but if you love medicine and have a vision for what you want your practice to be, you will succeed and do well.  

All programs have their respective quirks and downsides, mine included. 

There's a bigger problem if you are doing cadaver dissection in PA school but not medical school. However, I heard that some DO programs don't offer dissection.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, NavyEMPA said:

Congrats on your acceptance and current success in medical school! And thank you for the encouragement. I think next cycle will be more fruitful with having everything submitted early for sure. Just don’t make me take the MCAT again lol. 

Please reach out if you want me to look over any part of your application and keep us all updated!