EMT w/ AMR or Medical Technician at COVID Facility

Hello,

which is better experience for PA school?

EMT w AMR:

911 gig seeing all sorts of patients in busy 911 system in CA

COVID facility:

ive been doing this work as an EMT/medical technician for almost a year, and I’m comfortable w it now. Working w lots of covid patients who are receiving up to 15 LPM, covid drugs like decadron, remdesivir, helping w ADLs, initiating oxygen therapy, etc.

I believe the EMT w AMR would be better experience because I’d see a greater variety of pts. It would involve a huge pay cut but money isn’t the objective here, experience is. I’d like to work as an ER tech and I believe the EMT w AMR job would help me prepare to get a job as an Er tech. I also want to get a phlebotomy certificate because I believe that’ll help me become an Er tech.

anyway, what do you think?

• Like 1

Variety is the spice of life, and regarding PCE I think this is doubly true. Of the 3 options you listed, I would rank them as: ED>>EMS>COVID.

There's not much you can learn as an EMT in the field that will "prepare" you for working in an ED. The ED is a better choice for experience w/ your license because you'll see a greater number of patients with a greater variation in pathology (compared to EMS). In addition, you'll be around physicians and PAs which can be leveraged for additional knowledge, and possibly LORs/rotation sites.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Apollo1 said:

Variety is the spice of life, and regarding PCE I think this is doubly true. Of the 3 options you listed, I would rank them as: ED>>EMS>COVID.

There's not much you can learn as an EMT in the field that will "prepare" you for working in an ED. The ED is a better choice for experience w/ your license because you'll see a greater number of patients with a greater variation in pathology (compared to EMS). In addition, you'll be around physicians and PAs which can be leveraged for additional knowledge, and possibly LORs/rotation sites.

That's agreeable. Thank you

Out of the two options youve listed, I would go with AMR. Ive worked with AMR before and you are exposed to so many different types of patients, and you definitely get comfortable with the pre-hospital side of medicine. I disagree with the above poster, you learn a lot in EMS that will prepare you for the ED if you ever get a position in the ED. I went from AMR to the ED and a lot of what I learned from AMR has helped me get accustomed fast to the ED. If you have any questions about AMR let me know!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Patricia5827 said:

Out of the two options youve listed, I would go with AMR. Ive worked with AMR before and you are exposed to so many different types of patients, and you definitely get comfortable with the pre-hospital side of medicine. I disagree with the above poster, you learn a lot in EMS that will prepare you for the ED if you ever get a position in the ED. I went from AMR to the ED and a lot of what I learned from AMR has helped me get accustomed fast to the ED. If you have any questions about AMR let me know!

Yeah i'm sure a position w AMR would prepare for a job as ER tech. Just depends how you look at it... Thank you for your insight.

19 hours ago, Joemonkey said:

Hello,

which is better experience for PA school?

EMT w AMR:

911 gig seeing all sorts of patients in busy 911 system in CA

COVID facility:

ive been doing this work as an EMT/medical technician for almost a year, and I’m comfortable w it now. Working w lots of covid patients who are receiving up to 15 LPM, covid drugs like decadron, remdesivir, helping w ADLs, initiating oxygen therapy, etc.

I believe the EMT w AMR would be better experience because I’d see a greater variety of pts. It would involve a huge pay cut but money isn’t the objective here, experience is. I’d like to work as an ER tech and I believe the EMT w AMR job would help me prepare to get a job as an Er tech. I also want to get a phlebotomy certificate because I believe that’ll help me become an Er tech.

anyway, what do you think?

Hi!! 

Check out job requirements for ER Techs, sometimes you don't need an EMT license or road experience. See if what experience you have qualifies you! ER Tech is a great job, and I definitely feel more prepared for PA school as an ER Tech!

• Upvote 1