How to Become More Competitive - Emergency RN to PA

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some insight on how to become a more competitive applicant.  I'm only looking to apply to MEDEX in Seattle or Tacoma, which has <10% acceptance rate.  I know it's better to apply to a wide variety of places, but I don't want to move out of Seattle.  Given the low acceptance rate of most schools, and the fact I'm only applying to one, I want to find other ways to increase my competitiveness. MEDEX doesn't have expirations for prereqs but recommends they're in the last 5-7 years.  Some of mine are older than that.  I've also heard MEDEX gives preference to military/veterans, which I am.  Thanks so much for any insight or advice, I appreciate it!

Prerequisites 

• Physiology - A (Fall 2017)
  • Microbiology - B (Fall 2017)
  • Chemistry - A (Spring 2016)
  • Anatomy - A (Spring 2016)
  • English 2 - A (Spring 2016)
  • Statistics - A (Spring 2011)
  • English 1 - A (Spring 2011)
  • General Biology - B (Fall 2010)

Recommended Prerequisites

• Sociology - B (Spring 2010)
  • Psychology - B (Spring 2010)
  • Anthropology - Not Taken
  • Genetics - Not Taken
  • Biochem - Not Taken

GPA

• Nursing School - 3.91
  • Last 60 Units - 3.91
  • Prereq GPA - 3.75

Clinical Experience (at time of application in May)

• Registered Nurse, ER & Trauma - 2,000+ Hours
  • ER Tech - 1,275 Hours
  • Nursing Assistant, Trauma/Neuro PCU - 150 Hours
  • EMT, 911 Ambulance - 300 Hours
  • Patient Care Tech, Med/Surg/Tele - 475 Hours
  • Total Hours - 4,200+

Letters of Rec

• One ER Doc confirmed
  • Another ER Doc and ER PA likely 

GRE

• Haven't taken 

Other Background

• Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), 2020
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Management/Accounting, 2015
  • Honorably discharged US Army Veteran
  • 9 years of law enforcement experience as a police officer prior to nursing
    • During this time, taught a BLS, First Aid, and tactical combat casualty care (TCCC) course with a PA to officers
  • Minimal to no volunteer experience
  • Shadow experience with a PA in a clinic years ago, currently work with many PAs in the ER
Edited by surfca40
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Apollo1 said:

Be prepared to answer why you went through getting a BSN in 2020 but then applying to PA school + 1 year later, considering you had enough hours to apply to PA school beforehand.

That's a good point, thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by surfca40

You have an exceptional CV. You will still need a wicked personal statement that so many take too lightly. This is arguably the most important part of your application.Think of your stats as a completely separate entity. Should be a piece of work that is edited over several months and read by many, ie go ahead and start it. GL

You should get in on your first attempt as long as you come off as genuine in your interview. Folks with great grades and experience who don't get in usually are weeded out because they come across as entitled to a spot or thinking they are better than all the other applicants. not saying this is you, just be a normal person at the interview and let other people talk in the group exercises, etc. I precept for medex and would be glad to have you as a student. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

You should get in on your first attempt as long as you come off as genuine in your interview. Folks with great grades and experience who don't get in usually are weeded out because they come across as entitled to a spot or thinking they are better than all the other applicants. not saying this is you, just be a normal person at the interview and let other people talk in the group exercises, etc. I precept for medex and would be glad to have you as a student. 

This. Based on your CV, you’re likely in barring a crappy PS, LOR, or coming off as cocky in the interview, which I’ve seen happen with impressive CVs. Considering you are here asking for assistance, I doubt that is the case with you

-PA, RN

• Like 1

I applied to MEDEX this cycle and haven't heard back (with either a rejection or an interview invite) so I most likely didn't get in but again my CV definitely does not look like yours. I agree with everything everybody stated above as long as you have a good personal statement and rock your interview you'll be sure to get in. Although MEDEX says they don't do rolling admissions they actually do so apply and submit the first day the cycle opens. 

A couple of other things I would recommend that other haven't is to:

1. Attend one of their information sessions so you can tailor your application to them and what they are looking for

2. If I remember correctly their supplemental application is free so I would take a look at that beforehand and work hard on that because I believe they ask for more detailed questions.

3. Why you want to go down the PA route instead of NP will probably come up so you will need tackle that the best you can. 

4. This probably is not the case but make sure both your english classes are English COMPOSITION classes otherwise you won't pass the first screening and you'll get an email from them stating so. I appealed their decision and they reconsidered but it was an issue that came up quite frequently during this cycle judging by the forum posts.