'What to call a PA' thread on SDN

Hilarious read, I recommend it! There's a 'Dr' saying that we should be called Mr./Mrs etc ... I love how he takes it upon himself to represent our own profession lol ... no one ever suggests just calling us PA so and so ... a few sort of reference that, but in hushed tones of fear ... never mind calling us what we are, with respect given to our last names ... I got a good kick out of the thread.

This is soooo weird to me. Docs (about 30 of them) I work with in ER all love and respect PA's. Quite a few of them even say that PA is a smarter pathway to practice medicine. Every single one of them trust PA's like they were fellow physicians. They only go see patients after PA's because it's required, and so they can chart it. I've yet to see a physician stay in a room more than 1 or 2 min after the PA, unless the patient is very critical, or demanding, or has a long story to tell. Those folks on SDN are super weird and have a stick up their butts. I hope most docs in the REAL world aren't like that.

They only go see patients after PA's because it's required, and so they can chart it. I've yet to see a physician stay in a room more than 1 or 2 min after the PA, unless the patient is very critical, or demanding, or has a long story to tell.

Wow ... if those are longtime PAs with prior experience, that sounds like a hellish job. Why don't the PAs chart on their own patients? Aren't they capable of listening to long stories from their patients?

Wow ... if those are longtime PAs with prior experience, that sounds like a hellish job. Why don't the PAs chart on their own patients? Aren't they capable of listening to long stories from their patients?

No no no! They do chart. History, ROS, Physical, any procedures, prescribe meds, and discharge. Docs have to chart that "pt was seen by a PA and me" sort of thing. Just a little blurb in doc notes. It seems to be quite a nice job but I am not a PA there so I can't really comment. All of them seem to like it. As I said before, it's pretty independent and they can see everything from ankle sprains to MVC, SOB, and CP. The only things PAs don't touch are critical trauma patients when trauma team of surgeons is called (we are level 1 trauma center), STEMI, and CPR's.

FWIW most em pa jobs do not require a doc to see or chart on all of your pts.

TA-the thread is in the clinicians forum:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=917992

my personal preference in a perfect world would be PA last name like in the military, first names in casual conversations with staff. I personally hate Mr. last name because it is generic; "Mr. smith will be helping out with your procedure by monitoring the sedation while I reduce your elbow fx" makes no sense. is he the janitor? I don't know.

FWIW most em pa jobs do not require a doc to see or chart on all of your pts.

TA-the thread is in the clinicians forum:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=917992

my personal preference in a perfect world would be PA last name like in the military, first names in casual conversations with staff. I personally hate Mr. last name because it is generic; "Mr. smith will be healping out with your procedure by monitoring the sedation while I reduce your elbow fx" makes no sense. is he the janitor? I don't know.

AGREE

We should be addressed by our title

PA faculty (IMO) should have no problem with you addressing them by their title

PA Smith doesn't have any ring to it because it's infrequently used

When I was in PA school we all addressed our faculty by first name

But there is no inappropriateness to addressing a PA as PA Smith in the office OR at the bedside

IMO

I have been using PA Joelseff's Last Name lately at work for the past month and really getting used to it. Even our greeting now has "The Office of Dr. Thus-and-such and PA Joelseff's Last Name"

(Joelseff's Last Name isn't my real last Name):D:p

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

i introduce myself by my first name...*shrug*

As do I, because being a PA is but one of my many skillz/credentials. My other skillz include being a husband, welder, medic, A$$hole, carpenter, cynic, father, motorcycle builder, crooner, nurse, veteran, counselor and skeptic.

Practicing medicine as a PA is but one of the many things I do... its NOT who I am.

So I too introduce myself by my first name.

YMMV

I introduce myself as first name and last name and add that I am one of the PAs on their team and then encourage them to use my first name. I have found that when I round with a surgeon that a patient will often tell the surgeon that they don't have any questions but stop me before I leave the room to ask one more question. More than a few people are intimidated by picking up the phone to ask a question or communicate a concern to a surgeon but have no problem with calling my extension. The surgeons that I work with are perfectly happy to patiently answer a question or a phone call. However, many are intimidated. I see it as a way to focus on my patient and lower barriers to involving them in a good outcome. At the end of the day it is not about me.

Archived