Expelled from PA program

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I need some serious advice. I am not a PA student but my dear brother is one and I have supported him through the the whole experience, starting from when he first started 2 years ago. Hes struggled with the program but pulled himself together and has done well. He finished all his rotations and was ready to graduate this year. However, he failed one of his final exams needed to graduate. The school agreed to to let him re-take the exam, which he did a few weeks ago. He studied his butt off but unfortunately, he missed the cut-off by 2 points. Naturally, he is devastated. He got a letter yesterday stating that he is being separated/expelled from the program. He is allowed to appeal the decision, but we are not sure how successful he will be since the exam was a re-take.

The concern now is where do we go from here? Doe she have any other options to become a PA is the school refuses to relent on their decision? can he try to get into another school to re-do the semester or the year? (Hes even willing to consider schools outside the country if its a possibility). If all is lost as far as PA is concerned, is there another program/career he can transfer credits to to get another degree? It seems such a waste to throw away all the work and experience he has gained. Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

You just might be talking to the "brother", andersen.

This is a sticky situation, and there are so many things to consider. How well did you perform in the program overall? Are you considered a good student or have you struggled throughout the program?

Read your student handbook and see if there is any information there pertaining to this type of situation. It sounds like the program followed their protocol and allowed you to retake the exam you failed. I doubt there is another course of action to take. You'll need to inquire about any precedence of this so you know what you're up against.

This is an unfortunate situation. Most programs will not allow you to transfer credits from another PA program, nor will they let you jump in and take the portion of the program you failed. There is no advanced standing, and therefore you would have to start from the very beginning.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

You just might be talking to the "brother", andersen.

I'm well aware of that

Each user who posts troll-worthy material is given one chance to declare themselves

I don't assume the worst until they have been given a shot

Most never return

After that they do right or are banned

As a moderator I please ask that you follow the guideline in my initial post above and not engage this user until the nature of their post/background is defined and/or fixed.

Thanks

The appeal process is probably the best option. I don't know of any schools that would allow transfer of the PA part of school, which means starting over. And, I don't know if a school would be willing to take on a student who has a history of barely cutting it only to fail out at the end. Schools want their students to succeed, so, again, the appeal process at the school may be the best way to go.

Archived