Another pesky Q :)

I'm graduating from a Texas university in August with a BS and am set on becoming a PA. I have a decent GPA---3.65 total and 3.5 science, by CASPA calculations. I spent 3 months in Ethiopia working with street kids at schools, orphanages, and HIV orphanages. I have also volunteered for organizations in my community, and have had several internships in non-health related fields. In one of the internships I directly interacted with psych patients, but it was in a counseling setting (not HCE). I'm pretty weak in actual patient care experience. I have about 80 hours shadowing experience and a great relationship with a PA that has been mentoring me, but apart from that and volunteering in a hospital for about a year, I don't have anything.

The Texas schools don't require any HCE, though they do obviously look well upon it, so I've applied to a couple schools this cycle because, hey, why not? I'm going to be working on my EMT-B certification this fall, but I'm just wondering whether you guys think I might have a chance this cycle? I am really hoping to get an answer from someone familiar with Texas schools. I know they say that direct patient care is not a requirement, but I am wondering if anyone without direct patient care experience actually gets in. I am also wondering if, assuming I get an interview, they will take into account that I will have some experience as an EMT-B prior to matriculation, if they accepted me.

I am taking the GRE in a little over a week, and my application won't be reviewed until after they receive my scores, and I just hate all this waiting!!! Like everyone else, ha ha. :) Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for your response EMEDPA. I know you've expressed a strong advocacy for lots of HCE prior to entering PA school, and I think it's great advice! I'm really excited about my EMT classes. I'm hoping to land a spot in a 3 yr program this cycle. I think the extra clinic hours in the 3rd year, and working full-time as an EMT for 5 or 6 months prior to matriculation, will be a good foundation. But if I don't get in this cycle, I'll just be better prepared for the next one.

Archived