Jump to content

How to even start my essay?!


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Im starting to edit my essay for applications next cycle. This will be my third cycle overall, and I really want to focus on what I did differently between this cycle and last cycle (which is pretty much, everything. Increased PCE/HCE, shadowing, and volunteer hours, and retook classes. ) I dont even know where to start, because my essay last year was pretty good and Im not sure what part to edit. Anyone who applied two or three times can give me any tips? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This year was my second year. I applied two years before, but I was foolish and only applied to one school my first cycle so I don't know if that actually counts. I applied this year and I got in to a couple schools and start next fall. I applied with several friends and I have been the only acceptance so far of my group of friends (I only say that as a rubric because we have read each others personal statements and all have similar stats outside of the personal statement)

This is my experience. Tell your story in the first paragraph. Try not to get too much into the particulars of what you did to be a better candidate until the middle paragraphs. For example, I chose to quote Tupac, as the opening of my paragraph. I quoted his poem about the rose that grew from concrete. My life experience and journey was similar to the message in that poem. It was a risky quote as it could have easily backfired, but I contextualized the quote in my opening paragraph, and I had a lot of success this year and a lot of compliments on my personal statement and the guts to use 2pac. 

Now I don't necessarily recommend quoting tupac if you can't properly contextualize it, but standing out and being an interesting or nontraditional essay tends to stick in admissions head and they will often give your application a better look.

Maybe utilize the fact that this is your third cycle and that you have not waned in your dedication to the PA profession. Finding a powerful quote about dedication and/or determination or a good story about a popular figure failing many times before finally succeeding. Maybe build your essay around that message. I think that if utilized properly, it can be a powerful personal statement next year. That is my take. I hope it helps and the best of luck to your next cycle. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

@JaythePA Did you make your essay kind of chronological or not even mention what you did in the beginning vs what you changed this past year? Sorry, hope I worded that right.

 

Im not sure if I should do my essay chronologically, like mention what I did my first cycle and then go into what Ive changed for this attempt, or not even mention anything I did in the first cycle and just explain what I've done in whole up to this attempt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

@JaythePA Did you make your essay kind of chronological or not even mention what you did in the beginning vs what you changed this past year? Sorry, hope I worded that right.

 

Im not sure if I should do my essay chronologically, like mention what I did my first cycle and then go into what Ive changed for this attempt, or not even mention anything I did in the first cycle and just explain what I've done in whole up to this attempt.

This is my personal opinion from what I've heard (I'm only Pre-PA, but figured I'd give my two cents as I've been looking into this a lot recently!) ... I wouldn't talk about time methodically, like "here's what I did the 1st time" , "now the second time I did this", or something along these lines. You want to focus on the flow, so I would talk in chronological order, but discuss things in general as far as experiences go that prove why you'd make a good PA, and what inspired you do pursue a career as a PA. Discuss any weak points that may have been present in your last application, and discuss how you've improved/overcome those (without mentioned "this time" or "this application cycle", etc.). I think these things go without saying, the committee will already know your a reapplicant, they don't want you to re-mention everything they've already read.

Hope this provides some value to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2020 at 1:28 PM, Patricia5827 said:

Hi all,

 

Im starting to edit my essay for applications next cycle. This will be my third cycle overall, and I really want to focus on what I did differently between this cycle and last cycle (which is pretty much, everything. Increased PCE/HCE, shadowing, and volunteer hours, and retook classes. ) I dont even know where to start, because my essay last year was pretty good and Im not sure what part to edit. Anyone who applied two or three times can give me any tips? Thanks!

Did you have any current PA review/edit your application? You should also have family members and any professors you may be in contact with look over it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, ChristianPrePA said:

Did you have any current PA review/edit your application? You should also have family members and any professors you may be in contact with look over it!

Im starting to have PAs and friends edit it to see how it is.

 

 

-Does anyone want to critique my essay?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, Patricia5827 said:

Im starting to have PAs and friends edit it to see how it is.

 

 

-Does anyone want to critique my essay?

I met a PA on Instagram who reviewed my essay for me, it was super helpful. Her IG is @rodelinejoseph_ you could see if she'd be able to help out!

I wouldn't mind taking a quick look at it, but keep in mind I'm only a Pre-PA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, ChristianPrePA said:

I met a PA on Instagram who reviewed my essay for me, it was super helpful. Her IG is @rodelinejoseph_ you could see if she'd be able to help out!

I wouldn't mind taking a quick look at it, but keep in mind I'm only a Pre-PA.

Thats ok, thank you! Ill message it to you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 2:17 PM, Patricia5827 said:

Im starting to have PAs and friends edit it to see how it is.

 

 

-Does anyone want to critique my essay?

Hey! I wouldn’t mind looking over your personal statement. I had a PA friend help me last year and he had a lot of good tips! Really grateful as I got an acceptance last month! So happy to help any Pre-PAs with their statements if they like! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jpSquared said:

Hey! I wouldn’t mind looking over your personal statement. I had a PA friend help me last year and he had a lot of good tips! Really grateful as I got an acceptance last month! So happy to help any Pre-PAs with their statements if they like! 🙂

Great, Ill message you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More