Part-time work after full-time retirement / sabbatical

Good day to all! I'm retiring after 26 years as a PA.  I'm thinking of maintaining my NCCPA certification, state license, continuing my CME, but taking off work for several months to 2 years.  Then, work 1-2 days per week.  My question is this: will I run into problems with potential employers not having a work history for that time period?

8 hours ago, DanielTiger said:

Good day to all! I'm retiring after 26 years as a PA.  I'm thinking of maintaining my NCCPA certification, state license, continuing my CME, but taking off work for several months to 2 years.  Then, work 1-2 days per week.  My question is this: will I run into problems with potential employers not having a work history for that time period?

I'm pretty much in the same boat after 33 years as a PA. My action to address this is to work a few very short term locums assignments during the year.

Some states require a minimal number of work hours to maintain your license as well. You might want to check.

As for finding work after a long break I think it will depend on the employer. Some will see it as a problem. Some need help so much that their core requirement is a pulse and a license.

I kinda agree about not wanting to go back to direct patient care. I have about 5 years to my planned retirement. If I had the bank that day would be today.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I would maintain any certifications, licenses or anything else that you will need to practice. If you need time off then their is a reason and you should not be a slave to your profession but the trick as Ventana has mentioned is to do something PT/PD and avoid having the gap. You can explain the sabbatical but lying in a hammock and drinking Martini's does not fit the description.

I retired 18 months ago , kept my license but discontinued my certifications as I am now 72 and unlike Tom Rosell in Houston, I cannot work until I am 80.