PA vs NP Question

Since beginning college I have always been the pre-PA route. I am starting to have some concerns as I did not get into my first cycle of PA school and am concerned that my application is not competitive enough. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA and a 3.3 science GPA (not excellent). I took o-chem after graduation and got a B- and retook anatomy and physiology and received A's. I have 700 hours working as a CNA and have over 1,000 hours working in my current job as a medical scribe in the emergency room. I also have over 100 hours shadowing a PA in a family practice and spent a shift shadowing an OGBYN PA. As for volunteer work goes I have spent about 30 hours volunteering in a children's hospital and am currently trying to volunteer at a women's shelter but it has been difficult with COVID. I work with both PA's and NP's and love both professions but am concerned about not getting into PA school due to my GPA. I am trying to be realistic and am debating if I should attend an accelerated nursing program with a direct entry into the DNP program. I know this would take longer essentially but I would be happy to work as a nurse while I'm getting my NP credentials and I know from my prior experience working as a CNA that I love direct hands on patient care and am not afraid of hygiene or anything like that. I am trying to be practical and chose the best path for me but also the most realistic one. I know I would be happy with both but am in need of some advise from people who may be going through similar or PA's/NP's themselves. 

Distinct differences between PAs and NPs, especially in regards to training and approach to patient care.  I'd take a look at which one appeals to you more and pursue it wholeheartedly. Wouldn't recommend choosing one over the other simply based on your grades, if you want to attend PA school I'd suggest finding out the weakness in your academics and keep pounding away, or finding a way to relate your academic struggles in your personal statement.

I find OChem to be a ridiculous pre-req, but if it's there, it's there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I definitely agree with @MediMike regarding not choosing one over the other based on one aspect of your application.

It's quite normal to take multiple cycles to get into PA school due to it's competitiveness.

Continue earning PCE and really research both before jumping ship. That said, I can relate to your uneasiness because I too went from pre-pa to RN lol...and I jumped ship within the same cycle of not getting into PA school.

The PA role has a limited future as things stand now.  The NP profession is pretty wide open.  Read some of the hundreds of scared, disgruntled posts about PA's not being able to find jobs where NP's have lots of opportunities.  Think long and hard before you commit yourself to a possibly dying profession unless you're in the mood to go down with the ship.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tuckered said:

The PA role has a limited future as things stand now.  The NP profession is pretty wide open.  Read some of the hundreds of scared, disgruntled posts about PA's not being able to find jobs where NP's have lots of opportunities.  Think long and hard before you commit yourself to a possibly dying profession unless you're in the mood to go down with the ship.

Hate to say it, but agree with this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 12:58 PM, tuckered said:

Can you please further explain why this is the case? Why is the PA profession dying? 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, rumaila said:

Can you please further explain why this is the case? Why is the PA profession dying? 

NPs are not under the Board of Medicine, and aren't technically required to have a supervising physician. They regulate themselves and have more lobbying power because there are more RNs than PAs. Legislators are being told that NPs are expanding into the rural areas to provide care to patients who are underserved, but in reality the vast majority of them are remaining in urban/suburban areas. It's cheaper for a hospital to hire an NP, because the hospital will continue to max bill the patient without having to pay for a supervising physician and won't have to pay the NP as much as the physician.

15 hours ago, Apollo1 said:

NPs are not under the Board of Medicine, and aren't technically required to have a supervising physician. They regulate themselves and have more lobbying power because there are more RNs than PAs. Legislators are being told that NPs are expanding into the rural areas to provide care to patients who are underserved, but in reality the vast majority of them are remaining in urban/suburban areas. It's cheaper for a hospital to hire an NP, because the hospital will continue to max bill the patient without having to pay for a supervising physician and won't have to pay the NP as much as the physician.

Truth. If we don't have OTP very soon, we will be done for....

Take what I say with a grain of salt (as everyone should with all contributors on this forum) but I work with a significant amount of RN’s in a Magnet Level 1 Trauma Center  who have their NP degree yet are forced to continue to practice as RN’s as they have struggled to find jobs.  Many of the nurses I work with say they want to get out of bedside nursing but are scared to work as an NP because the market is overall saturated given how many NP’s graduate each year and can technically practice.  

Not that it really matters what I think but I would encourage you to keep applying and not get down on yourself! You have better stats than I did and I’m sure with time you’ll find a program that’s a great fit! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, QuarterLifeCrisis34 said:

Take what I say with a grain of salt (as everyone should with all contributors on this forum) but I work with a significant amount of RN’s in a Magnet Level 1 Trauma Center  who have their NP degree yet are forced to continue to practice as RN’s as they have struggled to find jobs.  Many of the nurses I work with say they want to get out of bedside nursing but are scared to work as an NP because the market is overall saturated given how many NP’s graduate each year and can technically practice.  

Not that it really matters what I think but I would encourage you to keep applying and not get down on yourself! You have better stats than I did and I’m sure with time you’ll find a program that’s a great fit! 

Is that a plus or a minus? NP and PA markets are the same. If a nurse can’t work as a Np, they still have income. What’s a PA to do if a market is saturated?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Is that a plus or a minus? NP and PA markets are the same. If a nurse can’t work as a Np, they still have income. What’s a PA to do if a market is saturated?

Use their prior license to work as a paramedic, RN, or resp therapist of course😉

• Upvote 1