FM job offer; 4 years of ER experience

Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on a job offer and hopefully some feedback on how to negotiate. 

I moved back to my hometown in May after my husband got a new job and was commuting about 1 hour 20 minutes to my job in ER where I've been for 4 years. I was hoping an ER job near where we live would become available but opportunities have been scarce. 

Fast forward to now, I've gotten tired of the drive, especially since they cut our shifts to 6 hours and it was no longer worth it. They are also planning to cut a few APCs in the coming months since the hospital has lost so much revenue since the pandemic so I figured now is a good a time as any. I applied to the only job open in my town right now which is in Internal Medicine, and I was offered the position. However I can't help but feel bummed about the pay. 

Of course I knew it would be significantly less than ER, which is fine, but I can't help but feel like I deserve more due to my experience. Then again, slim pickings. Anyway, here is the offer:

Outpatient only, M-F 8a-5p (to 6p one Wednesday a month); average 18-24 patients per day; on-call to take phone calls one week per month 

Salary- $95k

Quarterly Productivity Bonus - (immediately) - based on number of patients seen in quarter minus payroll and expenses. (Estimated to be between $1500-3000 every quarter, waiting on more details)

Vacation - 10 days (after 90 days) - increases to 15 days after two years

Sick - 5 days (after 90 days)

CME days - 5 days (after 90 days)

Holidays - 6 (immediately)

Health Insurance - BCBS (paid in full for provider) (after 60 days)

YMCA membership - (immediately)

Malpractice Insurance - CARE - (immediately) (waiting to hear if this includes tail coverage)

License/CME/Dues/Subscriptions - $3000k annually - (immediately)

Pension Profit Sharing Plan - 5% contributed annually after 1 year of employment

I was pretty much offered the job on the spot by the Physician who owns the practice and I counter offered 104k, which was the high end of the range on the AAPA salary report for an FM job in Florida. He told me he couldn't pay me more than someone who's been there longer than me (he has two other APCs, one is a PA who has been there 6 months, the other is a NP who has been there 4 years, not sure if he meant the latter or both). He then said how about we start at 95k and we can reevaluate at 3 months. I told him I would sleep on it and let them know. I applied on Indeed and it showed that 40 other people applied to this job so I feel like I shouldn't be too pushy but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. 

Should I push for more money? Do you think they would just turn around and hire the next best person? I think the initial offer is great for a new grad, but 4 years of ER experience should start me higher, right? I guess I could take the offer as is and try to renegotiate in 3 months like he said (I'll make sure it's in the contract). Or maybe I could ask to work 4 days a week instead. Idk. What do y'all think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I agree that with 4 years of ER experience, you should be paid more, but times are tough due to Covid. The benefits are solid, but the base salary is way too low. If you have savings, and are not in a rush, I would say apply somewhere else, but it may be a while before you can get another job. It all depends on how your financial situation is and if IM is something you like and want to do.

I would say that the counter offer is fair. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't accept anything below that.

Edited by futurepa588
  • Like 1

Unfortunately being in Florida severely limits your pay. Although you have good experience, it's not in FM, and you will still have a learning curve. If you need to get rid of your commute, I would recommend taking it if there is clinic support. If you're saving several hours a week in commute time, then that can offset the pay difference. In 1-2 years if you are not happy with the job or the pay, find a new job!