What type of things do PA schools value ?

So after getting waitlisted for one of my top choice schools I reached out to a PA I have contacted in the past who has given me advice on how to navigate this whole process. Ever honest,  She said something to me that really really did not sit well with me...

Basically the only thing PA schools really care about is GPA and PCE.. when I tried to bring up the fact that I ran my own business and have a few first author publications in plant biochemistry journals she was quite blunt to say that schools do not really value these accomplishments... they may view them as impressive but its not a substitute for GPA or PCE...

when I asked her why she told me it was because in all honesty they only value metrics that they can compare students with..

“They cant compare your publications or the fact that you ran a business with every other student bc those students might not have done that..”

This statement.. while truthful has made me start to seriously question the meaning of a “holistic” application review as well as the underlying value systems that PA schools have.. I am more proud of my publications and business than I will ever be of my GPA or PCE.. If what I was told was true then PA probably isn’t for me.. can anyone share your opinion on this ?

Personally I think of it as a gating process followed by a holistic one. In the end, programs generally want students who (a) have enough PCE that they know what they're getting into and (b) the grades to be successful in their program. That encompasses lots of applicants. Then they get holistic by looking at the types of other factors you mentioned, along with the ability to work well on teams.

So running a business and writing papers are positives, but probably wouldn't overcome weak PCE or substandard grades.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it varies a lot from program to program. I was told by one program that they literally only review grades and GRE scores prior to interviews. Other programs I could tell were much more holistic.

There are programs that specifically look for unique characteristics such as yours, but without at least the bare minimum PCE it might not mean much (as stated above there is a very good reason for wanting a lot of PCE).

I do think that if programs wanting a lot of high quality PCE turns you off to the profession, maybe it isn't for you. You'd probably be a great applicant for medical schools though.

• Upvote 2

I can see how this would be discouraging to you, however you need to realize that this concept is not unique to just PA school. They have thousands of applications to sort through, they are running a business. Average GPA admission, PCE, GRE, and PANCE pass rates are objective metrics that fuel the their machine and allow for a timely, streamlined vetting process. Once you make it past that barrier you get to show off your intelligence, character, life achievements, and integrity at an interview. Throughout school is where you can develop the relationships with your peers and colleagues. And when you start your career, your achievements may become even more useful. That being said, underneath it all, you are a dollar sign, as with multiple other processes, training, degree’s. 

On a side note, I really hope you did not spend a large portion of your personal statement on the accolades you mentioned. PA school applicants come from all different paths, and although impressive, trust me...yours is not unique. Medicine is universally cut throat. It takes years and years to build your merit.

7 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Personally I think of it as a gating process followed by a holistic one. In the end, programs generally want students who (a) have enough PCE that they know what they're getting into and (b) the grades to be successful in their program. That encompasses lots of applicants. Then they get holistic by looking at the types of other factors you mentioned, along with the ability to work well on teams.

So running a business and writing papers are positives, but probably wouldn't overcome weak PCE or substandard grades.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Hey thanks for the reply, I do have some PCE just not 10k hrs like some applicants. 

While my gpa wasn’t stellar I still consider getting primary author publications a better metric of ones academic capability: namely because ones GPA varies with their major, school choice, Greek life which may have given them a leg up via test bank, and etc its not very easy to cheat your way through an experiment or review article (thought it does happen). Idk I just feel like these things are more important than PCE and doubt if PA is right for me, I think PhD is probably a more viable career option since they care less about GPA and more so about research.

My rantings aside thanks for the feedback!

40 minutes ago, ANESMCR said:

I can see how this would be discouraging to you, however you need to realize that this concept is not unique to just PA school. They have thousands of applications to sort through, they are running a business. Average GPA admission, PCE, GRE, and PANCE pass rates are objective metrics that fuel the their machine and allow for a timely, streamlined vetting process. Once you make it past that barrier you get to show off your intelligence, character, life achievements, and integrity at an interview. Throughout school is where you can develop the relationships with your peers and colleagues. And when you start your career, your achievements may become even more useful. That being said, underneath it all, you are a dollar sign, as with multiple other processes, training, degree’s. 

On a side note, I really hope you did not spend a large portion of your personal statement on the accolades you mentioned. PA school applicants come from all different paths, and although impressive, trust me...yours is not unique. Medicine is universally cut throat. It takes years and years to build your merit.

Thanks for the feedback !

4 hours ago, TheFatMan said:

I think it varies a lot from program to program. I was told by one program that they literally only review grades and GRE scores prior to interviews. Other programs I could tell were much more holistic.

There are programs that specifically look for unique characteristics such as yours, but without at least the bare minimum PCE it might not mean much (as stated above there is a very good reason for wanting a lot of PCE).

I do think that if programs wanting a lot of high quality PCE turns you off to the profession, maybe it isn't for you. You'd probably be a great applicant for medical schools though.

Thanks for the feedback, I like that for medical school they have the MCAT but I worry if 1. I can afford to commit to med school + residency and 2. If my GPA will be an even bigger set back 

1 hour ago, NepgearxUniVII said:

Thanks for the feedback, I like that for medical school they have the MCAT but I worry if 1. I can afford to commit to med school + residency and 2. If my GPA will be an even bigger set back 

1. The wind has blown in both directions about weighting a test like the GRE and a more PA-specific option I hear discussed but have not seen used.

2. PCE is important: can you care for people when they are anything but at their best? Or -- even more importantly -- do you really want to?

3. GPA remains a big deal for PA school. Along the way through a student's time in PA school, you have to maintain and acceptable GPA or your enter the probation followed by possible removal from the program. All programs have to report what fraction of their students actually finish their program and graduate. They don't want to accept students who they fear won't make it for several reasons: (1) the statistics make them look bad to future applicants, (2) they graduate less students than they could so you took up  slot another maybe more successful student could have filled, and (3) they lose your tuition for whatever quarters you miss attending.

That said, if you make the cut for an interview, then all your other attributes more effectively come into play. Additionally, there are programs that value the last x credit hours, rather than all of your prerequisite grades. I personally don't know which schools those are, but I see them mentioned here.

My advice as a multiple career-over-a-lifetime guy: figure out what you really want to do next (not "forever" -- that's a long time -- but just "next") and take a shot. And always look for ways to try things in a small way first, if you can. That's how being a hospital volunteer 36 years ago  has thus far turned into being a PA for 14 years and on a PA faculty for 6 years.

Life is interesting and I hope you enjoy it!