When to start applying for jobs?

Guest CAdreamer

Guest CAdreamer

Hi everyone! I am currently in my clinical year and am graduating in about 7 months. I was wondering when people typically start applying for jobs? I am getting anxious to start applying but I am worried it might be too soon? Please let me know. I would also love leads in Dermatology or Plastic surgery if anyone has any. 

Guest CAdreamer

Do you have personal experience with applying this early? I just want to know if this has actually worked out for people or if I will just get ignored or even be considered at all being 6 months away form graduating. Thank you for the reply by the way. 

Some people in my cohort had jobs months before our graduation date. Our graduation was in August, and some people started applying in January.

It's possible, but the doors will open up more when you have passed boards and have the state license already. 

Edited by JD2012

The least you can get out of starting early is learning the job market landscape, familiarizing yourself with career websites, and getting all of your application materials ie cover letter/CV together. That way you won’t get hit with this train once you graduate and realize things aren’t as easy as they’ve been made to seem. Your program will do nada for you before and after to prepare for this and you will be mountains ahead of classmates.