seethroughny.net shows NP salaries much higher than PA..Why?

Hello all,

seethroughny.net is a site in which you can search all salaries of nys workers, by town, city, village, etc. etc. I spent a significant amount of time on there, and it's definitely overwhelming that these hospitals, and facilities are paying NP on avg much more. NPs were all pretty much $110k or over, where the PA's were around $80k range with some over $100k. Given other statistics and other sites that members provide, I thought it was safe to assume PA's salary was a bit more on average than NP's. However, These statistics from seethroughny.net don't lie, because they show each person (by their name), and their salary. This was not great news to read. Anyone else happen to notice this trend, or know anything in more detail? Thanks

That's how it is at my hospital as well here in Michigan. One of the general NP (who was a floor nurse for more than five years) commands a higher salary than both PA in ER (who also were nurses for more than five years). While I am perplexed as to why they are paying NP more here than the PA, I can see this as a up and coming trend through as I think Nurses in general have a better and more coherent process of development with their programs and licensing.

I could be wrong but that is what I have picked up fromthe NP and both PA here at the hospital.

No idea why ... NP training is inferior to that of PAs. PAs are trained by Doctors and MD/DO based curriculum. NPs are trained by NPs and other nurses. PAs rotate in more rotations, including surgery, and for longer. I could go on, but I'm tired of all these NP threads. I suggest making a separate area of the forum where these types of threads can be transferred. Similar to SDN having a separate area on their forum for other allied health professions.

I've heard the same thing in several metro areas.

To me it is a no-brainer. Large institutions have had a strong nursing presence since their conception with many nurses now in administration (my wife happens to be such a person, RN now in administration). There is a strong bias towards NPs. The NP profession has done an excellent job in promoting themselves (whether based in reality doesn't matter) as superior to PAs, therefore they fetch a higher salary. This is the virtual sum to this thing that many of us have been concerned about regarding the lack of promoting our profession better.

A few years ago I saw an ad for a PA in a neurology inpatient service in Seattle. They had the same job posting on their NP page. However the ad read quite differently there. The one for the NP was filled with accolades towards the profession "The NP would have the freedom to excel and have complete independence to practice the art of medicine," while the PA add was the opposite, "The PA must follow strict protocols written by the physician and must have all notes reviewed and signed on a daily basis. The PA will submit to routine job evaluations." It was bizarre. I called and asked if those two postings were for the exact same job . . . and it was. The salary posted was also much higher for the NP than the PA. It is all about perception . . . not about what actually happened during our years of training.

NP's love to park themselves in a job

state employment rewards longevity - only guessing here - but seems that NP's that have been in state employ for 30 years are going to be paid a lot more then a new grad PA

remember the blooming PA's numbers are only about 10 years old so in 20 years we might have a lot more PA's that have been in their job for 20 years

Also, purly guessing, PA's are not likely to sit in a crappy state job just because the pay is good..... I know I would not...

I think this survey is likely based on a small sample size. all the large sample based surveys show them very close or pa's a bit ahead. this makes sense as pa's tend to work more in specialties which pay more while np's tend to work in outpt settings which pay less.

I think this survey is likely based on a small sample size. all the large sample based surveys show them very close or pa's a bit ahead. this makes sense as pa's tend to work more in specialties which pay more while np's tend to work in outpt settings which pay less.

But this isn't a survey. It's actual data from all NY State employees. I agree that the sample isn't representative of all NPs and PAs across the country, but at the same time this sample wouldn't appear to have reporting biases associated with many surveys.

Archived