U World Prep for PANCE Prep

Hello Everyone, 

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion about using uworld for PANCE Prep?  

I haven't taken the PANCE yet but so far I'm really liking the types of question on UWorld. It's really easy to filter questions by topics and the questions seem to test more application than simple recall. I also like the hi-lighting and note taking functions in the q bank.

My routine right now is following an 8 week outlined guide. I've been going over topics in the blueprint in PPP (3 hours) and answering about 120-180?s a day on U World. I'm still a few months out from my test date. I'm hoping that's enough. I have an additional 2 weeks spaced in there for full length mock exams. 

Let me know if you have other suggestions or recommendations. 

I started using UWorld after hearing about it from some PA classmates. I had heard about it before from med students. I think it is really helping so far with my EOR exam review as well as PANCE studying. I am currently a couple of months out from taking my PANCE and try to do a set of the UWorld questions every day. I find them challenging, but doable, and the explanations after each question as to why the answer is correct/why other answers are wrong are super helpful. I also love the ability to make flash cards during the practice questions to go back and review later. The performance review at the end of practice exams helps me to formulate my study plan going forward, since I know what areas I need to focus on more. I would definitely recommend it to other PA students as I don’t think it is as well known yet as some of the other study tools.  

I just finished didactic and have been using UWorld as prep for many exams. I just recently took the PACKRAT and felt that it helped me prepare SO MUCH for these questions! It's nice that UWorld gives you explanations for each answer choice, and that you can track your progress on weaker subjects! I definitely recommend investing in it, you won't regret it!

• 2 months later...

The best advice will depend on your individual learning style, existing fund of medical knowledge, and progress at working through Step 1 resources thus far. Here's a brief summary of what I'd recommend to the average student just about to begin studying for Step 1 with about 3–4 months before the exam.

Plan to make two complete passes through Uworld. During the first pass you may consider going through Uworld system by system as you review resources such as First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy Micro. This is a list of the best USMLE Step 1 preparation resources.

During this first pass, make sure to understand the key learning objective of each question, as well as why the correct answer is correct. For example, if you get a question correct, make sure you read the learning objective and ask yourself "Did I get this question right for the right reasons, or did I get a lucky guess?". For key knowledge gaps that relate to learning objectives, it is important to make Anki Flashcards or unsuspend a Flashcard from a premade Anki deck that addresses the key fact that you learned. This is an article that can help you understand how to use Anki as you prepare for USMLE Step 1. Once you have completed all of the Uworld questions, make sure you do all of your incorrect questions. Then do all of the marked questions. Once you have no marked or incorrect questions remaining, reset the question bank and begin your second pass.

It is important to understand to use Uworld promo codes not only to help you build your fund of knowledge, but ask your ability to effectively answer NBME style questions. In other words, you need to develop effective test taking strategies. Doing blocks in timed random mode once you have reviewed most organ systems can really help with this.

One of the things I do with all my students is work with them through practice questions to see how they're making mistakes. It's often difficult for students to pinpoint exactly what went wrong on their own. Is it a knowledge gap? A lapse of attention? Did you get distracted by extraneous information? Did you fail to identify the diagnosis? Did you fail to take a key lab result into consideration? Make sure to think about these things as you are reviewing your incorrect. Doing so will earn you more points than focusing on memorizing minutiae.

Best of luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Li Sun
      Hi there,
      I am selling:
      1. PANCE 365 (Rosh Review, expired on 2/7/2021): $30.
      2. PANCE Prep Pearls (used &marked, 70% new, bought in 2018): $10
      3. Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistant (used &marked, 80% new, bought in 2018): $10.
      Please email me li.littlepotato@gmail.com (prefer) or message me if you are interested. 

• By dwy789
      Sharing a new board prep site!

A la carte question banks & 1 hour individual or group study sessions with cases/board style questions!
      passpaboards.com

• By JamesHealth
      Dear PA Student,
             My name is Dr. Leonard. I am a physician assistant and a PA educator. With the ongoing pandemic my concern for the future of the current PA students, especially those on clinical rotations, concerns me. This is why I am emailing students about PA Excel and their HELP line for PANCE review. I used this program 6 years ago and it has only gotten better! It is a PANCE review like no other. I do NOT work for PA Excel, although I may do some anatomy and physiology review for them in the future, but I love and believe in their product!
            But check them out for yourselves, do your homework but I can guarantee this program is the best and most affordable. And because I am such a big shot, lol jk, no but I know the CEO, he gave me my own code to give students to get them 30% off. I was like, a third? That is crazy. Anyways, I hope you use it. Feel free to give this code: evan30 to anyone and everyone you care too whom you think would benefit from this impressive PANCE review. They have virtual clinical rotations as well that are ARC-PA approved; if your PA program is struggling to get clinical rotations during this pandemic. 
      Here is the direct link:
      https://helpcampus.com/membership-options/?_s2member_vars=page..level..1..page..78996..Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1586375631-f3148aa7ff0f97cb30a3a2450088f0f8
      But here is the main website page in case you think I am sending you some crazy spam link lol:
      https://paexcel.com/
      Twenty-five universities use PA Excel for their entire program to use. I think this is a good way to a. stay fresh for rotations and b. prepare for the PANCE. Again, the discount code is evan30.
      Best of Luck and Good Studying,
                                                       Dr. Leonard, MS, PA-C
    • By JamesHealth
      Dear PA Student,
             My name is Dr. Leonard. I am a physician assistant and a PA educator. With the ongoing pandemic my concern for the future of the current PA students, especially those on clinical rotations, concerns me. This is why I am emailing students about PA Excel and their HELP line for PANCE review. I used this program 6 years ago and it has only gotten better! It is a PANCE review like no other. I do NOT work for PA Excel, although I may do some anatomy and physiology review for them in the future, but I love and believe in their product!
            But check them out for yourselves, do your homework but I can guarantee this program is the best and most affordable. And because I am such a big shot, lol jk, no but I know the CEO, he gave me my own code to give students to get them 30% off. I was like, a third? That is crazy. Anyways, I hope you use it. Feel free to give this code: evan30 to anyone and everyone you care too whom you think would benefit from this impressive PANCE review.
      Here is the direct link:
      https://helpcampus.com/membership-options/?_s2member_vars=page..level..1..page..78996..Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1586375631-f3148aa7ff0f97cb30a3a2450088f0f8
      But here is the main website page in case you think I am sending you some crazy spam link lol:
      https://paexcel.com/
      Twenty-five universities use PA Excel for their entire program to use. I think this is a good way to a. stay fresh for rotations and b. prepare for the PANCE. Again, the discount code is evan30.
      Best of Luck and Good Studying,
                                                       Dr. Leonard, MS, PA-C
    • By SheaPA
      Hi Fellow PA friends! 
      I am a second year student at Chapman University, recently pulled from my rotation d/t COVID-19. I know this has been a trying time for all of us, personally my program won't be resuming clinical rotations until mid may, so we are stuck doing online independent study/PANCE prep. 
      My program is using U-World and I wanted to reach out and offer you all a free 90- subscription for you to try out while we are stuck at home! They have really in-depth detailed questions that in my opinion have been on par with the level of difficulty of my EOR exams. They have a large question bank and offer great explanations with the ability to make flash cards, track your progress and so much more. 
      Here is the link to get signed up if you're interested! 🙂
      Best of luck to you all friends and remember, we will get through this! 

https://www.uworld.com/app/index.html#/discountcode/STUDENT-847531-2020

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More