Should I discuss a GPA drop?

Throughout my 8 semesters of undergrad, I have an average GPA of 3.8 taking out my worst semester of a 2.9. Should i write a statement as to why I struggled that semester, or because I still earned no Ds or Fs, just a C- and a C, should i just leave it out of my statement as to not draw attention to it

** When I discussed bringing up my GPA drop to a friend who is going to medical school, she said

DO NOT MENTION BAD GRADES/GPA DROP UNLESS IT WAS A D, F OR WITHDRAWAL, she said it will draw attention to something that doesn't need more attention to*** i feel that this one semester looks poorly on my gpa and that is why i went into saying how it was a struggling semester.

do you still agree I should talk about it?

** When I discussed bringing up my GPA drop to a friend who is going to medical school, she said

DO NOT MENTION BAD GRADES/GPA DROP UNLESS IT WAS A D, F OR WITHDRAWAL, she said it will draw attention to something that doesn't need more attention to*** i feel that this one semester looks poorly on my gpa and that is why i went into saying how it was a struggling semester.

do you still agree I should talk about it?

If you don't think it was that bad, then don't point it out. But explain positives that will refer to it, such as an "upward trend in the last 60 credits," etc.

I wouldn't mention it honestly. your 3.8 speaks for itself. you didn't fail any classes and that says a lot.

I think the folks with explaining to do are those with D's, F's, or lots of incompletes or W's.

I had a few C's in undergrad but my other grades balanced it out and it was never mentioned at interviews or anywhere else. no one cares that I got a C in music cultures of asia....a C in A+P would be more worrisome as it is a prereq but I still wouldn't mention it with a 3.8.

Archived