8 year experienced PA contract negotiation

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I have been with the same clinic since I graduated. I have left a few times seeking better pay and loan repayment but have returned twice. It is a privately owned practice with one physician (Family Medicine) but now he shares an Urgent Care practice with 2 other PAs. My question is this.  I currently am salary-based pay at $90k. My quarterly pay is based on income and expense and 20% of whatever is left, but the shared rent, supplies, MA pay etc (although not always 50/50) still seems to always gouge me to a point that I rarely ever get any sort of bonus.

What kind of contracts, compensation or production bonuses to some of you have setup and how has it worked. I am renegotiating at the first of the year and I don't know how to suggest a better system besides direct percentage based pay of from each visit.

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cam

Not sure how helpful I can be. Even when employed in private practice I was either paid salaried or hourly with/without bonus based on productivity. 

- Do you know your numbers in terms of what you bring to the practice? 
- Do you have paid benefits (health insurance, CME monies, CME time off, vacation days, etc)?

I would suggest having an employment attorney review your current contract. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Purrpa said:

Not sure how helpful I can be. Even when employed in private practice I was either paid salaried or hourly with/without bonus based on productivity. 

- Do you know your numbers in terms of what you bring to the practice? 
- Do you have paid benefits (health insurance, CME monies, CME time off, vacation days, etc)?

I would suggest having an employment attorney review your current contract. 

Good luck. 

Thank you I will look into this.

I have offered health insurance but went with my own as it wasnt a good group deal, CME is $1000, Time off is 1 week for CME.

If you are 8 years out, making $90k with those benefits I'm afraid you're being taken advantage of, unless you are in either an incredibly low COL area or are incredibly dedicated to/in love with this practice; which it sounds like you may be as you've come back twice.

When I counsel new grads in FM I advise to not take less than $90k. Consider obtaining a salary report and asking for an increase in your base rather than renegotiating the bonus as it seems you're likely not to make it regardless?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

If you are 8 years out, making $90k with those benefits I'm afraid you're being taken advantage of, unless you are in either an incredibly low COL area or are incredibly dedicated to/in love with this practice; which it sounds like you may be as you've come back twice.

When I counsel new grads in FM I advise to not take less than $90k. Consider obtaining a salary report and asking for an increase in your base rather than renegotiating the bonus as it seems you're likely not to make it regardless?

I reviewed the salary report this year when it was free through AAPA and felt a bit of a kick in the gut. Granted this is more of a rural area and a private practice, but it doesnt qualify for loan repayment with NHSC, so it's not that small. I am in Eastern, Utah near the Colorado border. I think the way they feel the production bonus should be calculated, so I should likely just ask for a base salary increase. Thank you.