iPad or iPhone apps for pas

Does anyone know what the must haves or must not have apps for pa students looking to use an iPad for textbooks, studying and note taking? Also can you explain what the app does and any disadvantages and how you worked around that disadvantage? Include prices and location to buy if possible! You guys are all so helpful thank you. Ps I did see a previous post about this but want additional suggestions!

Ps (I downloaded keynote for typing into power points but can't find notability?) anyone know about this for the iPhone?

Inkling app for textbooks is a must have for me. It can be very expensive but the texts are very well done. The app is free but you pay for the textbooks and you can try before you buy a book. It beats lugging both volumes of Harrison's around! I use gFlashPro to make my own flashcards (extremely useful). Eponyms is good. Medscape, Epocrates, PubMed, Skyscape, and WebMD can be useful (right now I use the free versions). Netter's flashcards are good for anatomy review (but expensive). iAnnoate PDF is an excellent PDF reader which allows highlighting and annotation. Other than iAnnotate, I have yet to find any app for taking useful notes with my IPad, I stick to paper (full disclosure:I also hate taking notes on a laptop so this is a personal bias)

All can be found at the Apple APP store along with the current prices.

• 2 weeks later...

PearNote has saved me several times. It's available in the app store for iPad or Mac. It's a note taking / audio recording application. The nice thing is that your able to go to the specific point in the lecture audio based either upon the powerpoint slide or the notes you have typed.

Notability is the best app I have found for taking notes on my iPad. Just import the powerpoints (as PDFs, I used Dropbox for this) and write/type/draw your notes on the presentations. You can add pages, add picture, etc. It was only a couple of bucks when I bought it, but I tried several different note taking apps and this one is by far the most reliable and user friendly. I take all my notes on my iPad and I love it...they are all backed up to "the cloud" and I don't have to carry five notebooks around with me if I want to study the material from five classes.

I know I've asked you this before, but could you PLEASE change your registration status to PA Student? I understand that you don't care, or think it's too hard to do (even though you got accepted to a PA school so you must be plenty smart), and for some reason the moderators have let you slide when no one else has been allowed to, but it drives me crazy every time I see it. You are not a PA, you are a student, and those are the forum rules..and yes, I have a stick up my *** about it.. Thanks!

Also, I used these for work and I continue to find them useful as a PA student....

Micromedex - drug reference, free, in my opinion MUCH more user friendly and FASTER than epocrates (it also contains a lot of information that epocrates just doesn't have). Also, all the data is stored on your iPhone/iPad so you can use it when you don't have service.

LabGear - not free ($3-4? but well worth it) gives a concise description of many common labs and what they measure, their normal values (in both conventional and SI) and reasons why they would be high or low. Labs are searchable or can be arranged by common panel (ABG, chem, CBC, etc) or by specimen type (blood, urine, CSF, etc). I wish I had this app when I was first learning the basic labs, but it has been wonderful to look up the labs we almost never used.

PediSafe - not free ($1-2?), this is a broselow tape on steroids (and it goes up to 120kg so it's not just for peds). You need this app for your ED and IM rotations.

I used to use iAnnotate for note-taking for PDF's, but I have recently started using GoodReader on both the iPhone and iPad- works equally well. Can't draw directly on there, but can highlight, type notes, underline, move documents into different files, can handle PDF's and Word docs, and syncs beautifully with iTunes. Highly recommended, but I haven't tried Notability

Archived