PA supervised by / answering to DNP??

So I was talking to a NP the other day at the hospital and she was trying to tell me that her role as a DNP is the equivalent of an MD and that soon PA's would need to be supervised by MD, DO and DNP's. Is there an validity to this?

There is already a great divide between most NP's and PA's, but I think with this mentality the chasm could widen.

Could someone clarify what is going on with the new movement towards DNP and what that means for PA's and the scope of their practice?

Thanks

NPs don't supervise PAs, they are BON not BOM

Some NPs are on a power trip

She shouls be saying that her DNP makes her the equivalent of a DNP and stop drawing false compairsons

MDs are MDs

NPs are NPs

PAs are PAs

#1 and #3 Practice medicine

#2 practices advanced nursing

We all do it well

• Administrator

Nurses have gone into hospital administration before, so PAs might well be "answerable" to a DNP in the same way an MD or DO might. However, if they want the right to supervise PA's as DNP's as if DNPs were physicians... I think the physicians are going to be just as much against that as we are.

Guest hubbardtim48

Tell that NP that he/she is wrong. That does not make sense in any way. NPs do not practice medicine and they are not a physician. NPs have a doctorate degree in nursing which includes administration stuff, little to no science and it not even a terminal degree (PhD). Please go tell that NP how he/she is equivalent to a physician when they don’t practice medicine nor have any science classes even close to physicians or PAs. Go google a few NP programs that have DNPs and see what classes they take/clinical hours and then compare that to PA school. A lot of PAs have PhDs, DHSc, DBAs etc and that doesn’t mean they are a MD/DO. Absolutely, that NP has no clue that a PhD, DHSc, DBA, DNP, etc is not the same doctorate degree as a MD/DO has. Tell him/her to research more about those degrees and the laws of PAs/NPs. This type of ignorance is scary and needs to be rectified quickly.

Nurses have gone into hospital administration before, so PAs might well be "answerable" to a DNP in the same way an MD or DO might. However, if they want the right to supervise PA's as DNP's as if DNPs were physicians... I think the physicians are going to be just as much against that as we are.

It has nothing to do with what they want

PAs are legally only allowed to be supervised by physicians

They would need to implement new legislation

I'm not a troll. That is rude. I'm a student taking my pre-reqs for a Masters PA program. I'm working at a hospital to get my hours for that program and that is what the NP said. I'm not versed on the heirarchy of things within the hospital system quite yet, so that is why I posted this question. I came here for the truth not to be ridiculed for asking questions.

I believe he meant the np was the troll, not you....pa's will never report to np's. they are under the board of nursing, we are under the board of medicine. that's like her saying "someday all plumbers will have to report to electricians because electricity is hotter than water". it's nonsensical. not your fault. her ignorance. Their having a dnp meeans nothing to us except in the eyes of an H.R. person who knows nothing about healthcare and assumes someone with a doctorate must be better than some "assistant" without one.

Not the main reason I am working on a doctorate but it's one of them....

I for one would NEVER take a job that had a NP over me in a clincal role other then based on experience - never on degree or title..... if someone is more senior as a "midlevel" (yeah I hate the term) then so be it - but only a doc (MD/DO) will ever be my supervisor - would quit on the spot if it came to it....

sure, in a group of advanced practice clinicians(better term than midlevel) a pa or an np can be senior and write the schedule, etc but the pa doesn't "work for" the np. when I was chief pa in my er I had 11 other folks who I oversaw(8 pa's and 3 np's) but I wasn't their boss. I hired and participated in discipline, wrote the schedule, etc but I didn't read all their charts and critique their care regularly....unless they messed up...then I was part of a panel with 3 docs who reviewed cases....I was their "lead" but not their supervisor.

Last place I worked, the "Acting Medical director" was a NP...

She was in that position for the entire time I was there (2009-present).

She was responsible for hiring/firing and diciplining the "Medical Staff" which included 5-MDs/DOs, 7-ARNPs and a single PA (ME).

My "SP" was always a Physician (MD), but my administrative "supervisor" was a BSN who was the Director of Clinical Services. Twas NO big deal, as they never tried to "direct" my patient care without it becoming intellectually painful and obvious that they had the "wrong-guy" to try that Shyt on... :heheh:

I've since left that place...

Contraian's point is well taken. Unfortunately, there are many institutions( hospitals mostly) where PA's are employees of the institution and often times are managed under the department of nursing. These are generally institutions which employs very few PAs. As far as a DNP " supervising" a PA, relax, it isn't ever going to happen unless state practice acts are change to allow it and I don't think the nurses would have a snowballs chance in hell of ever making it happen.

Contraian's point is well taken. Unfortunately, there are many institutions( hospitals mostly) where PA's are employees of the institution and often times are managed under the department of nursing. These are generally institutions which employs very few PAs... [brevity edit] ...

Yep....!!!!

Nursing has been around a LOOOOOOOOOOOOng time before the PA profession was born and evolved.

Therefore, its NOT new, or unusual for nurses to be the natural choices to administratively lead "organizational service lines."

Just about EVERY hospital in this nation has most of its various departments managed by nurses. Again... NOT new and NOT really a big deal AND makes sense because MOST of the care provided in those departments is rendered by nurses.

We (medical providers) typically spend the least amount of time with the patients and only interact to assess and diagnose... write orders then leave.

I don't see a problem with the current system where nurses are the managers in these departments, managing MOSTLY nurses and additional staff (Physicians, PAs, techs etc) , as long a they limit their "management" to "ADMINISTRATIVE" issues.

I've rarely had any problems with nurse "directors" or "managers" attempting to "direct" or "supervise" my medical care beyond administrative tasks and issues. The few times that it has happened, they only made that mistake once before they met my "animal sign"...

thumbnail.aspx?q=4766671284339280&id=8604075a77ab7bd34c5441daa43ad7a0

:heheh:

Archived