PA to NP Fast Track

Hi guys,  I’m excited about the MCP proposition. In the event that it doesn’t work out it’s not a bad idea to have a backup.

Years ago I didn’t think it would come to this but I would literally take an NP degree now if I could go back. What is the fastest way to earn the NP degree? Or maybe at least a fully online RN degree?

I am in TX, so far here all things are equal, PAs are actually looked more favorably by most vs NPs but we all know that can quickly change with legislation. 

I am in my mid 30s, closing in on a decade of exp, but I still have some time in front of me. My wife is doing an NP degree and we joke about her opening a new practice one day and it is now, not so far fetched. Anyways, her NP education does not hide the fact they want to be fully independent. In fact, they promote it a lot. And her online classes so far seem just mostly fillers. So I wouldn’t mind doing something similar if it will fulfill me professionally etc, if it’s just busy work, just don’t want to take many years to do it. It’s actually pretty sad we as a profession actually entertain these thoughts. It tells you things have gotten pretty bad. I can just imagine other colleagues in other states. 
might wanna retire or semi retire by 50 if things go downhill.

Edited by martinitosnl

Excelsior college has a fully online accredited RN program for health providers such as LPNs, EMTs, medics, (PAs), etc

I know lots of folks who have done it. Not every state recognizes it, but once you get a license in one states, other states will accept that license via reciprocity. 

https://www.excelsior.edu/admissions/requirements/nursing-requirements/associate-in-nursing-requirements/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

Excelsior college has a fully online accredited RN program for health providers such as LPNs, EMTs, medics, (PAs), etc

I know lots of folks who have done it. Not every state recognizes it, but once you get a license in one states, other states will accept that license via reciprocity. 

https://www.excelsior.edu/admissions/requirements/nursing-requirements/associate-in-nursing-requirements/

This is good info. Apparently they are withdrawing from ACEN accreditation which may make it even more difficult to gain RN license. Also the tuition is $500 per credit..

Just now, Yasuo said:

Man seeing these recent events and comments about our profession is furthering my interest to go back to medical school.. May as well do it while I’m in my 20s.

I think if you are interested in a high paying specialty, it may very well be worth it. For primary care, hail nah 

12 minutes ago, iconic said:

I think if you are interested in a high paying specialty, it may very well be worth it. For primary care, hail nah 

family med docs who do some procedures like treadmills, derm stuff, etc in their offices can easily make bank. you can also be a hospitalist, do low risk ob including c-sections, and rural em as a family med doc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iconic said:

Hahaha I'm thinking I'll most likely go into Internal or Emergency medicine, but we'll see what happens. I'll be open to other specialties🙂

Edited by Yasuo

Excelsior I think requires up to date sciences.  Some of us who have been a PA for a while would have to redo those (time and money), then do the program (again time and money), then try to get into an NP program (more time and money).  I say try because you might get discriminated against by already being a PA.  I am hoping that I won't see the end of the line for my career before I want to retire.  I too have had thoughts of trying to get my NP, out of fear of being left behind sooner-than-later. 

It's honestly the leadership. It's common sense that if your competitors (NPs) keep advancing (with lower standards, etc) you need to get on the ball. I kinda envisioned this since I was in school, leadership must have been in some sort of denial for so many years. I know that they are now waking up, but jeez they could have gotten so much done previously. We are like 15-20 years behind probably. It is real shame. 

I might as well just do a MD degree at this point (I have all the pre req w/ a cum laude degree, just never took the MCAT). Only problem is I would lose so much $$ by being out 3-4 yrs plus the difference in $ in residency plus loans. Easily over a mil if you run the numbers

Edited by martinitosnl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, martinitosnl said:

It's honestly the leadership. It's common sense that if your competitors (NPs) keep advancing (with lower standards, etc) you need to get on the ball. I kinda envisioned this since I was in school, leadership must have been in some sort of denial for so many years. I know that they are now waking up, but jeez they could have gotten so much done previously. We are like 15-20 years behind probably. It is real shame. 

I might as well just do a MD degree at this point (I have all the pre req w/ a cum laude degree, just never took the MCAT). Only problem is I would lose so much $$ by being out 3-4 yrs plus the difference in $ in residency plus loans. Easily over a mil if you run the numbers

To that point, the leadership has drastically changed the past 5 years so I'm sticking around... If I were to go "back to school" it would be a DO bridge but I'm too old now so I'm here for another 15 to 20 then I'm out. I'll do what I can to promote the profession meanwhile. 

Storch_Farbe_Frei.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3