Sign in to follow this  

Worried about GPA

Hi all. I'm a new PA student finishing up my first semester, and it's been a rough one.  Between COVID and some personal struggles, I had a bad semester grades wise and ended up with one A, 5 B's, and a C in anatomy.  In my program, that's almost failing (anything below an 80, only get one C the whole program), and I'll be on academic probation next semester. I've thought for a long time that I wanted to pursue an EM residency after school as I have a background as an ER tech and loved that setting.  Now I'm worried that I've wrecked my GPA and won't be able to get it up to apply for residencies after graduation. Any advice/tips/reassurance would be great!

Not affiliated with any residency program, but I wouldn't say that you're completely screwed. The biggest thing that I think you could do is identify ways to improve your academics (eg. study habits). Everything that you need to succeed in PA school is given to you in the classroom or the text - it's up to you to apply those things (and others such as your peers) appropriately. Big boy rules apply. I would say that if you rock the rest of PA school your GPA will recover and you would show programs growth and an ability to adapt (evidenced by your recognition of a problem and taking steps to fix it). Additionally, show increased interest in EM - join SEMPA (used to be $50 for a student), do electives in EM, really do well in your EM rotations, and get rock solid recommendation letters from EM docs.

All hope is not lost  😉