Hospital administrator with out a clue !

The CDC director says wearing mask could reduce the spread of Covid in 4-8 weeks. So in cities with mandatory masking why is the spread increasing? I have seen this in several major cities in my state? I have went through these areas and rarely see anyone not wearing a mask. 

So what is the point of the vaccine if you get it then you still have to wear a mask? I have had this argument for over a decade now. That if one is vaccinated against a certain illness that does not mean you cannot spread it. Now you all are saying that you can still spread it. So we wear a mask until everyone gets vaccinated then we can take the mask off? How about the patients that cannot get vaccinated? Should they wear a mask 24/7? But there is conflicting evidence on surgical mask and getting Covid. As you all should know that surgical mask do not stop you from getting the virus. So the non-vaccinated people should wear a N-95 24/7?

When does it stop for the masking? Have you all seen a decrease with mandatory masking? Per the CDC the numbers are climbing (yes we are swabbing everyone and their mother so the numbers should increase, thanks to Trump for getting rapid testing). 

I just thought the point of vaccines were to stop you from getting sick and stopping the spread of the virus. Now if one gets Covid they should still wear a mask? Is this the same thought process for flu, rhinovirus etc? Is this the same thought process we take with chickenpox, shingles, etc?

I would like a serious conversation and no attacks.  

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

The CDC director says wearing mask could reduce the spread of Covid in 4-8 weeks.

reduce does not equal stop

So in cities with mandatory masking why is the spread increasing?
I tried to look at the sources you provided, but I don’t think your data of spread and mask use was attached.  However:

1. People are idiots, using anything from scarves to tampons to god knows what else as a “mask”.  

2. a mask is only useful if one is trained on how to use it properly.  If we have to explain to these morons how use seatbelts on planes, they are not going to use any facial covering appropriately.  This includes covering ones mouth, nose, and eyes; washing their hands before and after placement, and actually keeping the time in contact with other human beings minimized.

I have seen this in several major cities in my state? I have went through these areas and rarely see anyone not wearing a mask. 

N of one.  Also, I see lots of people with masks on their body too.  Just not correctly.  Masks aren’t made out of unicorn skin.  To not get infected, keep your time in contact with someone minimal, both distance And temporally.

So what is the point of the vaccine if you get it then you still have to wear a mask? I have had this argument for over a decade now. That if one is vaccinated against a certain illness that does not mean you cannot spread it.

I think this is the problem.  Vaccinated means that your body can mount a sufficient reaction against the viral particles.  So if you inhale a viral particle, it will infect a cell.  That cell will eventually explode little viral particles all over, which will go on to infect other cells.  Eventually your body will realize something is not right.  Not with the first cell, but soon.  So you have, say, 15 cells actively producing viral particles.  But then your immune system steps in, and your infection ends.  But those viral particles, what happened to them? Some left your body, a cough, sneeze, whatever.  One lands on me, immunized.  No problem.  However, another lands on grams.  

Now you all are saying that you can still spread it. So we wear a mask until everyone gets vaccinated then we can take the mask off? How about the patients that cannot get vaccinated? Should they wear a mask 24/7? But there is conflicting evidence on surgical mask and getting Covid. As you all should know that surgical mask do not stop you from getting the virus. So the non-vaccinated people should wear a N-95 24/7?

im not exactly sure what you are asking here.  For the flu, we have achieved a steady state of people who are immune and at risk each season.  People who are at high risk for the flu and can’t get immunized should wear a mask, it’s just not enforced.  People seem to be caught up in absolutes with masks as well.  True, a cloth mask doesn’t do shit when you are working in an or.  But walking down the street, and Mr. Asymptomatic or Mrs Presymptomatic coughs, your exposure to that big ol bolus of viral particles was halved.  And your chance of getting it depends on the dose you just inhaled.  Like a cop taking cover behind his car door.  That glass isn’t bulletproof.  That metal in the door isn’t bulletproof.  His vest isn’t 100%.  But working together, all of those decrease his risks. 

When does it stop for the masking? Have you all seen a decrease with mandatory masking? Per the CDC the numbers are climbing (yes we are swabbing everyone and their mother so the numbers should increase, thanks to Trump for getting rapid testing). 
Most places with “mandatory “ masking isn’t very stringent and despite you seeing people with masks on, compliance is an issue.

I just thought the point of vaccines were to stop you from getting sick and stopping the spread of the virus. Now if one gets Covid they should still wear a mask? Is this the same thought process for flu, rhinovirus etc? Is this the same thought process we take with chickenpox, shingles, etc

Again, not sure if your point.  If 100% of people were vaccinated, (an impossible number), no masks needed.  But they aren’t.  And yes, if I saw someone with measles, mumps, rubella, or the flu, I would wear a mask.  To not spread those germs.  

no attacks

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

The CDC director says wearing mask could reduce the spread of Covid in 4-8 weeks.

If I'm not mistaken, this is based on at least 95% of people wearing masks.  The reality is that this is not what is happening, and far too many people think that covering their mouths is good enough.  Beyond that, far too many people think the mask is magical and therefore don't worry about washing their hands.  I've also seen tremendous numbers of people pull their masks off as they sneeze and cough, which obviously defeats the purpose entirely.  Obviously I'm an N of 1, just as you are.  But, the simple fact is that we aren't at 95% for mask wearing, and even those who are wearing them aren't wearing them appropriately (and that even includes myself...it's easy to become lazy about it).

Regarding how a vaccine will change recommendations...I don't know.  I'm not an expert there and will defer to the experts as we all should be doing.  

• Upvote 1

I agree with the 95% number and that is truly what I am seeing, but again that is just me walking around the mall or store. I am not there at different times, I could miss someone not wearing a mask, etc. There was a chart out there (which I cannot find) that showed different periods of lock downs and the spike of covid after we got done with a month long lock down. Not sure if that is the way to go. I am of the thought about not trying to kill this "bug" but have a healthy immune system to be able to fight it. Now that will take several years to achieve and getting people to reverse their DMII/HTN/Hyperlipidemia/smoking/obesity etc. I think we can all agree that we should be doing both of these, including a vaccine (still have personal choice) and just like the flu vaccine 10 -20 years ago focus it on the most vulnerable first. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, camoman1234 said:

I agree with the 95% number and that is truly what I am seeing, but again that is just me walking around the mall or store. I am not there at different times, I could miss someone not wearing a mask, etc. There was a chart out there (which I cannot find) that showed different periods of lock downs and the spike of covid after we got done with a month long lock down. Not sure if that is the way to go. I am of the thought about not trying to kill this "bug" but have a healthy immune system to be able to fight it. Now that will take several years to achieve and getting people to reverse their DMII/HTN/Hyperlipidemia/smoking/obesity etc. I think we can all agree that we should be doing both of these, including a vaccine (still have personal choice) and just like the flu vaccine 10 -20 years ago focus it on the most vulnerable first. 

Obviously differing of opinions will always occur, and that's ok, but Sweden has trialed the herd immunity protocol:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-swedens-herd-immunity-strategy-has-failed-hospitals-inundated/N5DXE42OZJOLRQGGXOT7WJOLSU/

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

Obviously differing of opinions will always occur, and that's ok, but Sweden has trialed the herd immunity protocol:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-swedens-herd-immunity-strategy-has-failed-hospitals-inundated/N5DXE42OZJOLRQGGXOT7WJOLSU/

Thank you for the information. Nice read. I agree there are different opinions and my only question is if these lock downs we had this year already have not stopped the curve of this then why would another one help?

• Downvote 1

I'm sad to say that these things no longer surprise me.  It's America, everyone has the right to be an idiot if they want to apparently. 💁‍♀️

The 300 person wedding recently in Eastern Washington was attended by a supposedly prominent family in the area, family members of the local FQHC's CEO.  I heard from providers there that their entire higher administration is on quarantine including the CEO himself. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/17-cases-two-covid-19-outbreaks-connected-to-washington-state-wedding-with-300-guests/

9 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

The CDC director says wearing mask could reduce the spread of Covid in 4-8 weeks. So in cities with mandatory masking why is the spread increasing? I have seen this in several major cities in my state? I have went through these areas and rarely see anyone not wearing a mask. 

So what is the point of the vaccine if you get it then you still have to wear a mask? I have had this argument for over a decade now. That if one is vaccinated against a certain illness that does not mean you cannot spread it. Now you all are saying that you can still spread it. So we wear a mask until everyone gets vaccinated then we can take the mask off? How about the patients that cannot get vaccinated? Should they wear a mask 24/7? But there is conflicting evidence on surgical mask and getting Covid. As you all should know that surgical mask do not stop you from getting the virus. So the non-vaccinated people should wear a N-95 24/7?

I just thought the point of vaccines were to stop you from getting sick and stopping the spread of the virus. Now if one gets Covid they should still wear a mask? Is this the same thought process for flu, rhinovirus etc? Is this the same thought process we take with chickenpox, shingles, etc?

We do not live in an all or none world

LOTS and lots of people are not following guidelines and it nullifies a lot of effort

The death of a pandemic/epidemic does not come overnight, but retrospectively over a very steep decline ideally in this case over a matter of a few months.

Honestly I am soo freekin tired of people complaining about masks.  You put on shoes and a shirt to go in a store and don't complain.  Just put the mask on till you are told by the scientists to take it off.  I am not directing this at just you, but everyone who gets their dander up at doing one little thing that might might just save lives.  

I don't care if I have to wear a mask for another year if we can get this country back open.....

• Upvote 4