Title investigation report at HOD 2020

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I remember this: 

growing up and through high school people drove Datsuns. I learned to drive on a 72. Now no one under 40 knows what a datsun is. Nissan 300 ZX. Sure. Datsun 280 zx turbo(great car)? Nope, folks don't have a clue. It has only been 36 years and they elevated their brand from economy car to high end sports car. Infinity is the next step(those are souped up luxury nissans for those who don't know, much like honda to acura and toyota to lexus. 

My point being this: change takes time. PA to MCP makes sense for a number of reasons, but it might be 10+ years before it enters the common language. Given that many folks still don't know what a PA is, I am not too worried that it will confuse people. The ones who need to know will figure it out quickly. 

Sadly... Nissan is about to go out if business... 😩 

Edited by Joelseff

40 minutes ago, Yasuo said:

Okay guys, I just read the "Top 10 criticisms of Medical Care Practitioner" from the AAPA huddle. 

I agree. I'm an MCP believer now 😅. However, I still think the NP's are going to basically steamroll over our profession. From a business standpoint, it's more logical to hire an independent NP vs PA/MCP (who require a supervising physician). One salary vs two. 

Kind of funny how the profession with the "more intensive training model" can't practice independently. 

The NPs will "steamroll over us" (haven't they already though? 🤔) if we ONLY change our title and that's it... WE NEED TO PURSUE FPAR not only OTP. I wish we could do MCP and FPAR in one fell swoop... But I kind of see the plan to get the title change to perhaps improve our chances with FPAR. Arguably, legislators should have an easier time writing us in with NP laws if we were "Practitioners" vs "Assistants" or even "Associates." A lot of PAs here and in the huddle have posted about FPAR recently so I hope it catches on more. I think that's what we need to adopt. Maybe we can shuck OTP and go whole hog FPAR if the title is changed. 

Edited by Joelseff
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Yasuo said:

Initially yeah, but in time, people will start saying Physician Associate more. The point is that we retain our identity, which we have created over the past 50 years. Not start all over with MCP. The patients who know us, are aware of what we are capable of. Because we regularly diagnose & treat them. For many of them, we are even their PCP. 

What we care about are the people who don't know about the PA profession. First impression is important and we want to stop them from reading Physician "Assistant" because that is misleading. 

PA's are actually hot right now. Many young high school/college students are gearing towards in becoming a PA. It has become a viable career option. It was ranked top 3 jobs in the U.S. with a 36% job outlook over the next few years. 

If I had to guess, it's the elderly and rural population that mostly don't know what a "PA" is. Because it's still a fairly new, but growing profession.

Physicians, NPs, and PAs are businesses at the end of the day. We will continuously fight for our own and our jobs. Obviously doctors don't like the title PA, because it has "Physician" in it. It's a threat to their profession. But that is the identity we have created over the last 50 years. That we are trained in the same education model as doctors and can aid Physicians by lessening their workload in multiple specialties. To meet the demand of doctor shortages. This is the key difference between us and the NP's. 

If we change to MCP, that is literally starting all over. And having to re-educate the public of who we are and what we are capable of, causing confusion along the process. That is not progressive change. 

PAs are hot, but NPs are hotter. There are more jobs for the NPs. I personally know few Pre-PAs became Pre-NPs, especially after AB891 had passed (Independent practice for NP in CA). 

We don’t have an identity, we’ve failed. That is why we are even discussing a title change after 50 years. After 50 years, we still have to explain what we do.

The word Associate is not without ambiguity. In a law firm, an associate is a lower level lawyer. I also think Physician Associate sounds like an apprentice, a knock off physician. 

MCP fit the AAPA definition perfectly 

'Medical Care Practitioner are medical professionals who diagnose illness, develop and manage treatment plans, prescribe medications, and often serve as a patient’s principal healthcare provider. With thousands of hours of medical training, Medical Care Practitioner are versatile and collaborative.'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

I’m a little late to the table, but was this name change through AAPA, who I have no affiliation with? I don’t remember any questionnaires  or any way to access these questions.  

No one asked for my opinion, but here it is.  “Medical care practitioner” is as generic and forgettable as names come.  I think it’s a bullshit title to be slapped on a profession with such a wonderful history.  
Today, I’m going to go to the “food growing person” to get some vegetables, and maybe the “meat chopping professional “ to get some burgers.  Then on to the “hair cutting person” for a haircut.  

Is this outfit the same one that gave Nike the swoosh and “just do it”?  Or the Amazon smile “a to z”?  Or rebranded domino’s pizza to just dominos?  If someone gave them a million dollars for “brown liquid with fizzy bubbles” you can bet they’d be going back to the drawing board.  

We need a name that a 6 years old can understand what we do. What we don’t need is an exclusive name like praxician where people have no clue. People also have no clue what a Physician Associate is. You can't even translate Physician Associate to different languages, you will end up seeing Physician's associate. 

Medical Care Practitioner takes no explanation. 

People hear the words Medical + Care + Practitioner, they know you are here to take care of their medical needs. We don’t need to sound like a Rocket Scientist. 

Physician Associate = Physician’s associate. You are just an associate of the physician, maybe like the office manager? Where is the physician? No offense, but why am I only seeing the associate? 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, PACali said:

We need a name that a 6 years old can understand what we do. What we don’t need is an exclusive name like praxician where people have no clue. People also have no clue what a Physician Associate is. You can't even translate Physician Associate to different languages, you will end up seeing Physician's associate. 

Medical Care Practitioner takes no explanation. 

People hear the words Medical + Care + Practitioner, they know you are here to take care of their medical needs. We don’t need to sound like a Rocket Scientist. 

Physician Associate = Physician’s associate. You are just an associate of the physician, maybe like the office manager? Where is the physician? No offense, but why am I only seeing the associate? 

Yup, pretty much this. Too many people think because PA makes sense to them it will make sense to the world. It won't. People have short attention spans, they don't care enough to correct their first impression, they're concerned about other things. No one cares about the fine details and history of the PA field except PAs. Not to get into politics, but have you listened to our politicians lately? Assuming they have the ability to appreciate nuance like a 6 year old may be giving them too much credit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am in favor of MCP - but wondering  about the title Advanced Practice Provider - APP.

When I am searching for jobs - that is always the job title (which lumps us together with NP's).   At least that would be something HR actually recognizes...... 

I was able to listen to HOD a short time - I wonder if that title choice ever came up?

15 minutes ago, bobuddy said:

I am in favor of MCP - but wondering  about the title Advanced Practice Provider - APP.

When I am searching for jobs - that is always the job title (which lumps us together with NP's).   At least that would be something HR actually recognizes...... 

I was able to listen to HOD a short time - I wonder if that title choice ever came up?

APP is a great term to refer to both of our professions, but it doesn't separate us from NPs 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bobuddy said:

"WPP/Landor has read more than 11,000 open-ended comments left by survey respondents, many of which included alternate title suggestions. No new title options were revealed that weren't already identified or eliminated previously. For example, the title "Medical Practitioner" was recommended more than any other title. Other write-in recommendations that were seen most often included Advanced Practitioner and Advanced Practice Provider. All three of these are perfect examples of titles that were eliminated in the review process either due to significant issues identified in legal review or by the fact that they are overly broad and already in use by employers. Overcoming these generalizations to create a new and distinctive professional identity would be nearly impossible."

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I remember this: 

growing up and through high school people drove Datsuns. I learned to drive on a 72. Now no one under 40 knows what a datsun is. Nissan 300 ZX. Sure. Datsun 280 zx turbo(great car)? Nope, folks don't have a clue. It has only been 36 years and they elevated their brand from economy car to high end sports car. Infinity is the next step(those are souped up luxury nissans for those who don't know, much like honda to acura and toyota to lexus. 

My point being this: change takes time. PA to MCP makes sense for a number of reasons, but it might be 10+ years before it enters the common language. Given that many folks still don't know what a PA is, I am not too worried that it will confuse people. The ones who need to know will figure it out quickly. 

Looking at the dash of the 300Z was like looking at the cockpit of Airwolf.  It’s a shame that on vehicle start up that it didn’t play the Airwolf opening theme.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I know that is the official Spanish translation. But If we translate into Asian languages such as Japanese, Chinese, Korean it will become doctor's associate or even doctor's assistant. I hope people here with proficiency in other languages can tell me what physician associate translate into. Even in English, most people assume there is an apostrophe S.

12 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I remember this: 

I think it might take less than 10 years since Medical Care Practitioner is in people's common vocabulary. Everyone understand each word. We just have to let people know this is actually an unique profession. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, PACali said:

I know that is the official Spanish translation. But If we translate into Asian languages such as Japanese, Chinese, Korean it will become doctor's associate or even doctor's assistant. I hope people here with proficiency in other languages can tell me what physician associate translate into. Even in English, most people assume there is an apostrophe S.

In tagalog it's "Iugnay ng Doktor" or "connected to a doctor" or "associated with a doctor"  Still don't like it lol. I actually think the association with physicians is also holding us back from becoming independent. If our title is always associated with another title, it prevents us from "leaving the nest" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Btw AANA endorsed for CRNAs to use the term Nurse Anesthesiologist. I am not going to comment on the merits of the name change, just wanted to point out that PAs are the only ones dragging their feet on issues.

https://www.aana.com/docs/default-source/practice-aana-com-web-documents-(all)/crna-advanced-practice-registered-nurses.pdf?sfvrsn=da0049b1_10

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 4