Title investigation report at HOD 2020

So let me ask a simple question...

The recommendation is for Medical Care Practitioners which I agree with 100%, but this was only a recommendation from the consulting firm right?

What is the next step?  And this recommendation does NOT mean AAPA has to go with MCP right?

So not to rain on the parade, but what is stopping from AAPA and the "old guard" from just saying screw the recommendation, we are going with Physician Associate!?

Edited by Cideous

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cideous said:

What is the next step?  And this recommendation does NOT mean AAPA has to go with MCP right?

So not to rain on the parade, but what is stopping from AAPA and the "old guard" from just saying screw the recommendation, we are going with Physician Associate!?

This will likely be a formal policy statement in the next HOD.  I don't get the feeling that they formally adopted it, but it is certainly enough of a substantive recommendation for the board to adopt or reject, and send to the HOD for ratification or rejection in April 2021.

In the interim, there's probably a lot of internal lobbying needed to get PAs away from hoping for Physician Associate (which is where I have been, in case anyone is keeping score) and unified behind MCP.

59 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

6 months

I guess it's better than nothing. I expect in 5 years NPs will have independence in just about every state. Looking at the report, I see no reason for why it was delayed until November from the original date; especially since HOD didn't need to take any action on it.
Honestly, this report should have taken way less than 2.5 years (3 years until HOD takes any action on it, and that if the next conference does not get delayed) to complete - how long does it take to survey 100 physicians and 200 employers?

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, iconic said:

I guess it's better than nothing. I expect in 5 years NPs will have independence in just about every state. Looking at the report, I see no reason for why it was delayed until November from the original date; especially since HOD didn't need to take any action on it.
Honestly, this report should have taken way less than 2.5 years (3 years until HOD takes any action on it) to complete - how long does it take to survey 100 physicians and 200 employers?

Well, a year to see what AAPA wants out of a branding campaign, research the current brand, pitfalls, history, research the market, meet with commercial insurance, dozen federal agencies, dozens of corporate medical groups.

Now you have an idea of what’s going on, year to develop research title ideas, have lawyers research legal aspect, talk to whatever word expert, focus group names, what the brand should be based on the market, stake out the cost of a survey within the budget, develop survey, get list of PAs/physicians/patients/employers, wait long enough to get a decent response, statistician goes through data, interpret data.
Now 6 months to develop brand, strategic plan, how to implement (they look through the entire US code holy crap), associated costs at each year and total, determine timeline to implement, and (deep breath) I think the point has been made. They did a lot of work, which they had to do PERFECT because lots of skeptics wanted to tear this apart. I think the time frame was appropriate for the professional product they provided.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

AS a person who has both written and advocated for "Associate" for twenty-five years, the Walmart Associate got to me. I am delighted that our name does not make us sub-serviant. The early points about why we were assistants in the sixties and why a "C" was important starting in  the seventies are both relevant and historical. It is finally looking like the dawn of a new era. Let's hope it happens quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Cideous said:

So let me ask a simple question...

The recommendation is for Medical Care Practitioners which I agree with 100%, but this was only a recommendation from the consulting firm right?

Now we have the hard data support MCP, but the work just started. I agree with what Ventana said, we should bundle OTP and name change altogether. I think the pandemic should help us to get to that point but we have to be more aggressive not less. Imaging AMA’s ‘stop scope creep’ happened during a non-pandemic time. The ‘Media Framing’ for now is all healthcare workers should work together not tear each other apart during this pandemic and everyone should practice at the top of their licenses and experience. We need to take advantage of that and push OTP and name change. 

There are 3 actionable plans everyone could do starting today

1. Promote and teach those around you about MCP. It still amazed me there are plenty of PAs who do not know about OTP. Also, don’t forget the majority of PAs choose Associate. It is possible the AAPA would not act on it because of that reason. Talk to your co-worker, speak with the students, or even pre-PAs. Students are important because most of them are members of the AAPA and state organization. 

2.Join the AAPA/state organization and put pressure on them. Make them aware we don’t have another 2 years to make it into policy. We got 6 months max. 

3. Promote MCP in all social media such as Huddles, this forum, linkin, and others. Many of my posts are repetitive about MCP because I know there are more lukers here than people participating. It is very important from time to time we make posts about MCP. 

• Upvote 2

We are getting ahead of ourselves. We have the data, but unfortunately we still have a lot of people to convince. Remember that physician associate did best within our profession. A lot of the people who thought associate was better are in positions of power. The Legislative and Advocacy Chair of Inidiana Academy of PAs was on Huddle espousing his staunch opposition to MCP. If we can’t get the constituent organizations behind it, it’s dead in the water. Let your leadership know what you want to be done.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

We are getting ahead of ourselves. We have the data, but unfortunately we still have a lot of people to convince. Remember that physician associate did best within our profession. A lot of the people who thought associate was better are in positions of power. The Legislative and Advocacy Chair of Inidiana Academy of PAs was on Huddle espousing his staunch opposition to MCP. If we can’t get the constituent organizations behind it, it’s dead in the water. Let your leadership know what you want to be done.

You are right, the war has begun. I may have to go over there and spread the propaganda lol. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ll be curious to see what happens. So many new grad PAs, students, and even some older PAs are happy being assistants. I think there has been a rosy picture painted of our career and name that just hasn’t jived with reality for several years for a lot of people. Way too many people are of the “I’ve got mine” mentality and couldn’t care less that the whole profession needs to move forward for the greater good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What can I do as a student to support Medical Care Practitioner? It seems so obvious to me that people will always assume a Practitioner is more qualified and capable than an Assistant, but a lot of people seem resistant to change.

I'm a member of the AAPA and my state chapter, is there a student organization with a voice in the House of Delegates that I should join as well? Should I email my representatives directly or wait until the next meeting? I think this would be a great step for the profession to stay competitive with Nurse Practitioners.

Edited by scotshy

12 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Join PAs for Tomorrow. They got OTP off the ground and have been pushing AAPA into the current century. 

https://pasfortomorrow.org/

I started a new PA society entitled "PA's of Yesteryear".  There are no dues since we can't remember where we left things or when to pay bills.  We're coincidentally known as "PAY".  For those of you still working, join PAFT.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

And this is exactly what I was afraid of and why I asked the question.  PA's have never missed an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot even when the water hole was in walking distance.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Cideous said:

And this is exactly what I was afraid of and why I asked the question.  PA's have never missed an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot even when the water hole was in walking distance.

Yup, 100% agree. I already see people in social media saying MCP is ambiguous and cheap knock off of Nurse Practitioner. Some people still prefer associate. We will have see if AAPA is willing to take that big step. I hope they didn't spent one million dollar for a title change study just to do nothing or still change it to associate.