Title investigation report at HOD 2020

I'm watching. It is still ongoing. 2 hours of info is being provided.

Long story short:

Tons of research was done. They surveyed PAs, students, patients, physicians, employers (multinational, regional, rural), federal agencies, commercials insurance, and so much more. They talk about how to implement it, the challenges, the costs.

When given the multiple choice definition of a PA, only a quarter of physicians, patients, and employer got it right. Only 75% of PAs and students got it right. When given the the actual definition 80% of physicians, patients, and employers agreed with it.

They were charged with a branding campaign. Title change is just one component of that. They went a lot into how to brand ourselves.

The title survey:

PAs and student most accepted physician associate.

SURPRISINGLY! Medical Care Practitioner did better with physicians, patients, and employers.

The overall recommendation: Medical Care Practitioner.

ETA: this is not policy. The constituent organizations need to discuss and will go forward afterwards with discussions at next HOD meeting in May.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Glad it's not praxician  On one hand I see physician associate as being the easy change, but I agree that changing assistant to associate may not likely lead to major advancements in the profession.  MCP could possibly lead to more change.  Although, I would have preferred medical practitioner over medical care practitioner.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DizzyJ said:

Glad it's not praxician  On one hand I see physician associate as being the easy change, but I agree that changing assistant to associate may not likely lead to major advancements in the profession.  MCP could possibly lead to more change.  Although, I would have preferred medical practitioner over medical care practitioner.  

Praxician bombed in the survey so hard with everyone. 

Physician associate did well within our own profession, but was seen as a lesser level provider by everyone else. Physicians stated they were more likely and willing to work with and associate with a MCP. Patients were more likely to recommend visits with MCP. Employers saw MCP as a higher level provider. Basically WPP said you can go with physician associate, but you're just going to get more of the same and the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

The presentation was really interesting. It's amazing that the overwhelming majority (greater than 75%) of physicians, patients, and administrators could not accurately choose the definition of our profession. If that doesn't signify the importance of changing our name, I don't know what else does..

The report also showed it will be expensive and take years to accomplish. 

If we have identified the need for a name change and how expensive it is, then why settle for a change to physician associate? The marketing professionals suggest this is unlikely to benefit our brand any further, so why make such a huge financial commitment?

The only reasonable choice we have is MCP. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, SoCal_PA said:

Feeling shortchanged due to our title is just part of our profession. 

My only question, will we be MCP-Cs when we pass the board exam....?

Edit: Is it possible to change the title of this post? I think most will not know what it means and glance over it

I hope not. Most professions do not add a C to their title. If MCP passes, I suppose you could tell patients that you are a Medical Practitioner (MP) for short. Also what will AAPA change their name to? AMPA? What about state associations?

Edited by iconic

1 hour ago, SoCal_PA said:

Feeling shortchanged due to our title is just part of our profession. 

My only question, will we be MCP-Cs when we pass the board exam....?

Edit: Is it possible to change the title of this post? I think most will not know what it means and glance over it

The -c is from an era when not all of us had to be certified, which I can see as a point of pride then. I think since it is required for practice by everyone now, just leave it off.

• Upvote 4

Wow! I am surprised they recommend MCP but at the same time I am not surprise at all. 

It is a no brainer that Medical Care Practitioner is a much better name than physician associate. 

With MCP,  people will know what we do just by the name, very minimal explanation will be needed

I understand why people in our profession choose Associate, I was one of them. But please think about it for the long run. We will be Physician's Associate all over again. 

MCP is a great name for a primary care provider. I understand there are many specialty PAs but We as a profession needs to tackle primary care, if not we will disappear. 

For those who think MCP is too long and prefer a shorter version 'MP Medical Practitioner.' To me, they are the same. I am sure you can introduce yourself as Medical Practitioner as long as your badge says Medical Care Practitioner. 

For those who thinks MCP sounds too close to Nurse Practitioner, I don't mind to be confused with NPs, at least I will get 50% more job offers 🤣

Edited by PACali
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Excellent!!!

a thought.  Everyone thought OTP would be next to impossible and cost millions of dollars.  Well a numbers of states have adopted many of the points.  SD. VT. ME have all pretty much jumped on board. 

the point is you never know unless you try. TD’s changed their name a few years back.  Might just be time to do a name change and OTP all in one fell swoop.   The politicians can probably easier to swallow a name change, and OTP all at once because it is a nicely packaged deal. 

soooooo

this is gonna take $$$$$$$. 

join AAPA and your state association.  Give them $20/m and demand they go after name change/OTP!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ventana said:

Excellent!!!

a thought.  Everyone thought OTP would be next to impossible and cost millions of dollars.  Well a numbers of states have adopted many of the points.  SD. VT. ME have all pretty much jumped on board. 

the point is you never know unless you try. TD’s changed their name a few years back.  Might just be time to do a name change and OTP all in one fell swoop.   The politicians can probably easier to swallow a name change, and OTP all at once because it is a nicely packaged deal. 

soooooo

this is gonna take $$$$$$$. 

join AAPA and your state association.  Give them $20/m and demand they go after name change/OTP!!

Agreed! Give more if you can! 

Question... Tardive Dyskinesia changed names? 🤔🤣🤣🤣 J/K... What the heck is a TD? 

• Upvote 1