Taking easier classes to boost science GPA?

I am trying to raise my science GPA and heard from pre-med friends that some of them take certain classes to boost their GPA - is this also common for pre-PA students? I have taken semesters of independent research in the biology department, and am thinking of taking an Astronomy course next semesters. Under CASPA, these classes are considered under the science GPA. Butt will most PA programs not even consider these extra courses?

Take a look at recommended classes at PA programs you are interested in. It will make more of an impression if you show your interest in the field by taking immunology, virology, medical terminology, etc rather than easy A classes. By the way, CASPA did not consider my undergrad PHY 151 Astronomy class (through the physics department) to qualify for "physics" credits in their rubric (though it does count as general science).

By the way, CASPA did not consider my undergrad PHY 151 Astronomy class (through the physics department) to qualify for "physics" credits in their rubric (though it does count as general science).

Yeah I think it is listed separate from Physics under "Other sciences"

My guess is that admissions officers are pretty aware of this practice. They will probably notice if you take a bunch of easy classes and your grades improve. And that probably won't be very impressive.

That being said, astronomy is probably cool so, by all means, take it if you're really interested. At my undergrad institution, astronomy was no picnic. It involved staying up into the wee hours at the observatory to look at stars and it was definitely not an easy A.

Archived