Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I am a newly engaged applicant who's been accepted to an inaugural program starting in January (fingers crossed nothing falls through) and am looking for advice from any PA-S or PA-C on whether to plan a wedding during didactic year to get married during clinicals or plan during clinicals and get married post graduation? I come from a cultural family so wedding's tend to be big and I am assuming planning will take at least a year or 6 months prior to the date. For what it's worth my program is set to graduate March 2023 and my fiancé is projecting 2022 to be the best for him, financially. Would love any insight from spouse PA's who had to make this decision or even attendees in rigorous programs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got married 2 weeks after taking the PANCE. My wife did the majority of the wedding planning and we had a wedding planner which was well worth the money. Did not feel very stressed. Still was involved in making decisions and meeting with vendors, but my wife knew that school was number one importance and was fine with that. I had a classmate get married over Christmas break with a small wedding so it’s doable. Just don’t forget about right after graduation you have the pance to worry about and should be your number 1 priority. Worked out well for me to study for 2 weeks then take it. Found out I passed the week of the wedding. you could say it was a great week, even for 2020! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone get through PA school while planning a wedding?  Sure...but you will be putting increased stress on yourself in what is already going to be a stressful 2-3 year period.  Doesn't mean don't do it, just understand the ramifications.

The biggest thing to remember is that nobody owes you anything because you are getting married.  Assuming you choose to plan a wedding during PA school doesn't entitle you to leave class or rotations early, do poorly on exams, or other assignments.  You are entering PA school with the intention of being involved in the healthcare of people...therefore you will literally make "life and death" decisions.  Don't take that lightly and put your wedding before that.  You owe it to your future patients to be present in both body and mind for PA school and learn everything you can.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 10:34 AM, PA2O18 said:

I got married 2 weeks after taking the PANCE. My wife did the majority of the wedding planning and we had a wedding planner which was well worth the money. Did not feel very stressed. Still was involved in making decisions and meeting with vendors, but my wife knew that school was number one importance and was fine with that. I had a classmate get married over Christmas break with a small wedding so it’s doable. Just don’t forget about right after graduation you have the pance to worry about and should be your number 1 priority. Worked out well for me to study for 2 weeks then take it. Found out I passed the week of the wedding. you could say it was a great week, even for 2020! 

Congrats all around! I certainly didn't forget about PANCE, that's why I thought it's valuable to ask those experienced which year they felt is more doable---last thing I'd want is to jeopardize my education after all time and money spent. I do agree that a wedding planner would be a huge help in this scenario!

On 11/16/2020 at 6:17 PM, mgriffiths said:

Can someone get through PA school while planning a wedding?  Sure...but you will be putting increased stress on yourself in what is already going to be a stressful 2-3 year period.  Doesn't mean don't do it, just understand the ramifications.

The biggest thing to remember is that nobody owes you anything because you are getting married.  Assuming you choose to plan a wedding during PA school doesn't entitle you to leave class or rotations early, do poorly on exams, or other assignments.  You are entering PA school with the intention of being involved in the healthcare of people...therefore you will literally make "life and death" decisions.  Don't take that lightly and put your wedding before that.  You owe it to your future patients to be present in both body and mind for PA school and learn everything you can.

Absolutely right! Definitely going in with the "school is priority" mindset---I'm proud of where I made it to and won't sacrifice that. Hoping others found a healthy balance that could share. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, copticmare said:

Congrats all around! I certainly didn't forget about PANCE, that's why I thought it's valuable to ask those experienced which year they felt is more doable---last thing I'd want is to jeopardize my education after all time and money spent. I do agree that a wedding planner would be a huge help in this scenario!

Absolutely right! Definitely going in with the "school is priority" mindset---I'm proud of where I made it to and won't sacrifice that. Hoping others found a healthy balance that could share. 

Finding a healthy balance of anything during PA school is difficult. Extremely so. Any additional thing that you take on outside of your coursework will make PA school more challenging and have the potential to compromise your ability to be successful. That’s just the reality of the situation. 

Wedding planning is stressful. Especially if you’re planning a large wedding and want to be involved in the process. The ideal situation would be both planning the wedding and getting married after your graduate.

If you absolutely have to get married during or right after PA school, I would plan during clinical year and get married after your graduate. Planning during didactic sounds like it could be a disaster. Everyone deals with didactic year differently. Some people do well and are able to keep up without too much trouble. Others really struggle and have to study constantly. In my experience, it’s difficult to know which one of those categories that you fall into until you’re in PA school. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, hmtpnw said:

Finding a healthy balance of anything during PA school is difficult. Extremely so. Any additional thing that you take on outside of your coursework will make PA school more challenging and have the potential to compromise your ability to be successful. That’s just the reality of the situation. 

Wedding planning is stressful. Especially if you’re planning a large wedding and want to be involved in the process. The ideal situation would be both planning the wedding and getting married after your graduate.

If you absolutely have to get married during or right after PA school, I would plan during clinical year and get married after your graduate. Planning during didactic sounds like it could be a disaster. Everyone deals with didactic year differently. Some people do well and are able to keep up without too much trouble. Others really struggle and have to study constantly. In my experience, it’s difficult to know which one of those categories that you fall into until you’re in PA school. 

Certainly right! I've definitely had the conversation with my s/o that I really have to see how rigorous my program will be and whether I can handle the stress of wedding planning. I also believe that life shouldn't completely stop just because you're in school as long as you're honest with yourself about what you can/can't take on. Thanks for offering your year recommendation!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I got married during my 2nd semester of didactic year. My wife and I did a destination wedding and already had paid for it and had the date set prior to me getting accepted into PA school. I spoke with my faculty about it on the first day of classes. I was very fortunate in the fact that they allowed me to take a couple of tests early on the day before I left for my wedding. I was gone Thursday-Sunday and back to school on Monday. It wasn't all that stressful for me because the wedding was basically planned prior to me being admitted to PA school. Had the faculty been less willing to work with me, I would have been much more stressed out because I was planning to go to our wedding no matter what. I wasn't going to miss out on the $10,000+ I had already paid for the wedding.

Like others have mentioned above, the program and/or your clinical sites don't owe you anything and they don't have to work around any special events in your life if they don't feel like it. I would recommend speaking with the faculty of your program to see if they can offer you any insight or see if you can gauge whether or not they will work with you. If it seems like they are not willing or it will be be too much of a burden, it may behoove you to delay your wedding until after graduation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 1:39 PM, SirScottric said:

I got married during my 2nd semester of didactic year. My wife and I did a destination wedding and already had paid for it and had the date set prior to me getting accepted into PA school. I spoke with my faculty about it on the first day of classes. I was very fortunate in the fact that they allowed me to take a couple of tests early on the day before I left for my wedding. I was gone Thursday-Sunday and back to school on Monday. It wasn't all that stressful for me because the wedding was basically planned prior to me being admitted to PA school. Had the faculty been less willing to work with me, I would have been much more stressed out because I was planning to go to our wedding no matter what. I wasn't going to miss out on the $10,000+ I had already paid for the wedding.

Like others have mentioned above, the program and/or your clinical sites don't owe you anything and they don't have to work around any special events in your life if they don't feel like it. I would recommend speaking with the faculty of your program to see if they can offer you any insight or see if you can gauge whether or not they will work with you. If it seems like they are not willing or it will be be too much of a burden, it may behoove you to delay your wedding until after graduation.

Involving admin and taking their advice into consideration sounds like a great idea! If I do mine during didactic, I would certainly plan it towards a specific break, not in the middle of anything important and same would apply for clinical year. Thank you!

Edited by copticmare
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I got married this August between the summer and fall semesters of didactic! Luckily, I was able to plan everything before starting didactic, so it should have been a breeze and no big deal. Well, then the pandemic happened and we had to decide what to do with our wedding, cut 2/3 of the guest list, and replan many aspects of it which was incredibly stressful and impacted my studies...classic 2020.

Everything is totally fine now and I am happily married and on clinical rotations! We loved our wedding!

The biggest take aways: It IS possible to get married during PA school. For my program specifically, didactic was better because we do not have scheduled breaks for clinical year. Plan as much as possible before school starts to take that off of your plate. Don't forget to factor in time for wedding showers and a bachelorette/bachelor trip or honeymoon if you're planning on doing that! 

Good luck and I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I understanding this correctly as Clinical year does not have scheduled breaks?

Just got engaged and understand Didactic year is out, which is easy as I just started semester 3.  She wants date sooner, I want it AFTER I'm out and then a little.

I figure if she does MOST of the planning, can compromise, but if no breaks clinical year - that kind of sets the timeframe for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently in my second-to-last clinical rotation and was in a very similar situation. Got engaged a month before starting PA school and then decided about 2/3 way through didactic to bite the bullet and get married a couple months after graduation. Right now I'm set to graduate May 2021 and planning my wedding for August 2021. My fiance is currently getting his MPH and will graduate within a month of me, so he also has zero free time. It. Is. Stressful. Clinicals sound all fun and exciting when you're slogging through didactic but the constant travel, accommodating new healthcare systems and preceptors, end of rotation studying, PANCE studying... If you're someone who thrives on routine then be prepared to grow a lot. Adding wedding planning on top of that has really tested my limits. I've personally done well on all of my EOREs and the PACKRAT because I prioritize school over wedding planning, but I've made huge sacrifices with my free time in order to get everything done. It also means that wedding stuff often takes a backseat, and friends/family just have to be patient. Every program is different, but my only break during clinicals was over Christmas. We used that time to knock out a bunch of wedding tasks - dress and suit shopping, finding a caterer, photographer, making the website, ordering invitations, etc etc. Otherwise it's knocking the small tasks off my to-do list with the random days I have off that aren't otherwise consumed with school. My fiance and family have helped a ton, but wedding planning has still been an additional source of stress during an already stressful year. 

I also had a classmate get married during our last didactic semester. She really simplified it though - small guest list, family helped cater, limited bar offerings, things like that. She was very chill about her wedding and it worked well for her. 

Something else I had to figure out on my own - if you're planning to change your name, do it ASAP. I'm legally changing my name before the wedding so that my diploma, PANCE, and all licensing will be in my married name. If you're not changing your name, disregard and thank your lucky stars because it is a gigantic pain in the you-know-what. 

Good luck with school and wedding planning! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, PA-Candidate said:

Am I understanding this correctly as Clinical year does not have scheduled breaks?

Just got engaged and understand Didactic year is out, which is easy as I just started semester 3.  She wants date sooner, I want it AFTER I'm out and then a little.

I figure if she does MOST of the planning, can compromise, but if no breaks clinical year - that kind of sets the timeframe for me.

The longest period of time I've had off during clinicals was a couple weeks over Christmas/New Years. Otherwise just long weekends here and there. We have a "spring break" coming up that's about 5 days long. 

The brief breaks are nice and much needed, but a lot of the time is spent decompressing from how stressful and busy rotations can be. I can't imagine having a wedding and really being able to enjoy it and appreciate how special of an occasion it is during clinical year. 

If I were in your position I would recommend waiting until you graduate. You'll likely have time after graduating and prior to starting your first job. This would be a better time to get married.

Edited by hmtpnw
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got engaged at the beginning of my clinical year and then married about a month after graduation/2 weeks after the PANCE. While clinical year was busy, I did feel like I had more time to plan than I would have during didactic year. I also had a lot of help from family, and hired a wedding planner to take some of the burden off of me (highly recommend). It  was stressful but totally doable!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I got married during the break between fall and winter quarters of didactic year.

It was fine. I was back in my seat 48 hours after saying my vows. We took our honeymoon after I graduated and passed the PANCE, and I started my job when I came home.

What helped was planning as much as possible before I started school. Got my vendors lined up and everything. Then I delegated the SHIT out of the daily grind. My now-husband took care of business - it's his wedding, too - and my sister helped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By carlykibler
      Eager to find a PA/NP/MD provider willing to precept me for a 2 week rotation in April! Ideally a specialty practice but also open to primary care. Thanks!
    • By Warwick
      I am done with didactic and is about start rotation soon. I think should feel excited to be done "the hard part" yet I'm filled with doubts and anxiety about moving forward. I originally came into this profession with the idea that I want to help patients understand diseases and empower them with knowledge to help themselves. Looking back now, I somehow feel like I've been passively heading toward this direction all my life because when people asked me what I wanted to do, I just said I want to do something medical related. Be it after school programs in high school or medical related jobs after college. There were times before PA school where I had doubts that this may not be right for me but then quickly brushed it off. When I do bring this up with family and others, I always get asked "what else do you want to do if not this" and I never had an answer because I wasn't actively looking at alternatives. Then I would get told that just do this if you don't know. I felt like I set this expectation for myself to set out to be a medical provider when I was way younger and now im feeling kinda stuck with having to follow through. Else i'd be a disappointment. I'd be lying if I didn't feel any familial pressure to stay the course.   
      Then I got into PA school and it gave me a sort of adrenaline rush like "yeah! i got in, i can do it!". I thought it was gonna be simple and all I had to do was keep my head down and get through it. Yet throughout didactic there was always this tiny inner voice whispering to me "this feels wrong". I chalked it up to just being stressed out by the heavy workload and imposter syndrome and buried it. Sometimes when I do talk about it with my family I just get told to keep going because I've invested so much into this so at the very least just stick out the first year and see how it goes. Now that i've clawed my way through didactic, I feel completely burnt out. I took a month long break without doing anything PA school related. I spoke with friends who graduated already who tell me that clinicals would be completely different, similar to the countless other posts i read online.
      Looking ahead to clinicals I just don't even care much less feel excited and I know that won't help me make it through. Thinking back to when I decided to enroll in the first place vs now make me feel like I'm in a totally different person. I feel like the spark of interest for medicine that could have ignited a flame of passion just kinda fizzled out as time went on for me. I don't get interested in medical topics anymore. I don't feel motivated anymore and have trouble feeling empathy for anyone. I sure this is part of the burn out but can't shake the feeling that it's more than just that. I lay awake at night contemplating whether I've had enough and seen enough to say "I've gave it an honest attempt and now it's time to move on" or if actually being in clinicals will make a difference. When imagine winding up to grind through a 2nd year for clinicals, i get a sinking feeling in my stomach. When I imagine not being a PA, i think, "im ok with that". If I quit now, it would feel like be a huge financial and time wasted on this path and a lot of resistance from those around me. If I continue, it could possibly be an even bigger wager of time, money, and effort on a "maybe" I'll change my mind during clinicals. I think about this on a daily basis now. Anyone who have experience care to give some advice? 
    • By ezieba2
      Hello All!
      In search of preceptors!! I am currently a PAS1 student and our school is looking to expand our clinical rotations for next year. I would absolutely love to do my rotations at home in Chicago and our school will allow us to plan away rotations if we make contacts and provide the preceptor (can be PA, NP, DO, or MD). BUT rotations anywhere are very welcome!!! 
      If you, or any of your colleagues would welcome a student rotation in your office please PM me. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice, Thank you!
    • By calitana10
      Hey everyone,
      There is a lot of information about average GPA for incoming students, however, there is little statistical data about PA students in their didactic year regarding GPA and grades. I realize that grades “don’t really matter” in the grand scheme of things, especially when it comes to jobs (from what I have researched). However, I would really like some input on what GPAs look like in didactic year compared to undergrad GPAs. I realize that every program is different, so this comparison can be hard to make. Is there anyone willing to share their GPA from undergrad and didactic year? Thanks!😀
    • By JamesHealth
      Dear PA Student,
             My name is Dr. Leonard. I am a physician assistant and a PA educator. With the ongoing pandemic my concern for the future of the current PA students, especially those on clinical rotations, concerns me. This is why I am emailing students about PA Excel and their HELP line for PANCE review. I used this program 6 years ago and it has only gotten better! It is a PANCE review like no other. I do NOT work for PA Excel, although I may do some anatomy and physiology review for them in the future, but I love and believe in their product!
            But check them out for yourselves, do your homework but I can guarantee this program is the best and most affordable. And because I am such a big shot, lol jk, no but I know the CEO, he gave me my own code to give students to get them 30% off. I was like, a third? That is crazy. Anyways, I hope you use it. Feel free to give this code: evan30 to anyone and everyone you care too whom you think would benefit from this impressive PANCE review. They have virtual clinical rotations as well that are ARC-PA approved; if your PA program is struggling to get clinical rotations during this pandemic. 
      Here is the direct link:
      https://helpcampus.com/membership-options/?_s2member_vars=page..level..1..page..78996..Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1586375631-f3148aa7ff0f97cb30a3a2450088f0f8
      But here is the main website page in case you think I am sending you some crazy spam link lol:
      https://paexcel.com/
      Twenty-five universities use PA Excel for their entire program to use. I think this is a good way to a. stay fresh for rotations and b. prepare for the PANCE. Again, the discount code is evan30.
      Best of Luck and Good Studying,
                                                       Dr. Leonard, MS, PA-C
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More