Sign in to follow this  
maybepa

If I don't have what it takes to get into Med school, can I still get into PA school?

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I'm 21 years old and am going to start my senior year of college. I have been pre-med for most of my college career and am doing some soul-searching in what I really want. I've never been very confident in thinking I have what it takes to get into medical school, but it has always been a goal.

My obstacle is that I am struggling with my science courses and have a low science GPA of 3.2 science (including B/B+ in General Bio 1 and 2, B+/C in General Chem 1 and 2, W in Orgo 1, also dropped a physics course and a second attempt at Orgo without W's). I'm a psychology major and have a 3.68 overall GPA.

Lately I have been doing research on PA school as another option, but don't know much about it, so please forgive me if I seem oblivious. I was wondering:

• Is PA school supposed to be any less rigorous than med school? Can people who don't get into med school get into PA school?
  • I haven't taken anatomy and physiology and was wondering if I should try to squeeze them in before graduating in case I end up doing PA, or if it doesn't matter if I take it after college if I am worried of not getting very good grades in them now.
  • If I am still not sure which path to take, should I try as hard as possible to make it in med school with post-bacc courses before committing to PA school and squeezing in all the requirements now?

In terms of extracurriculars, I volunteer as an EMT-B on my college campus, volunteered in an emergency department, pediatrics department, shadowed MDs, been on a short medical brigade, and have done 3 years of medically related research. I don't have that much HCE.

Thanks so much for any replies, I'd really appreciate it

PA school is shorter, not less rigorous, than med school. Some may say it's more rigorous since often PA students are in class usually 8-5 or longer, Monday-Friday. Attendance is also mandatory as opposed to optional like some med school. Of course, this all depends on the program. There are 3 year PA schools that I imagine are less intensive.

With the exception of the MCAT, I believe they are equally hard to get into. For every 3.2 GPA PA student with no prior HCE out there, I bet there is a 3.2 GPA DO student. Probably an MD student as well.

Leave the A&P courses for post bacc for now, IMO. If you want to go to PA school, get a job in healthcare as a medical assistant or emt-b or whatever. While working take the classes. This way you'll have less on your plate and your building HCE to make your app look better.

I feel you should try for DO schools. You'll be happier ultimately with you job. PA is a fine choice, but I think you have about the same chances at either.

Lastly, your gonna get some harsh words for even suggesting PA school as some type of fall back. I understand where you coming from and the title makes it seem like it would be a fall back for med school (we are working on changing that), but just be confident and apply broadly to some DO schools and rock the MCAT.

I know a number of people who dropped their PA programs to become a MD/DO's because the pace was too accelerated for them. That being said, you are applying against med school candidates. You're overall GPA is good, build up your paid HCE & when you apply to PA school don't mention anything about wanting to go to med school or using PA as a stepping stone to become a physician. Do some soul searching and find a better reason why you want to be a PA and why not a MD because this could be an interview question for a PA program.I also suggest shadowing a few PAs to make sure being a mid level provider is something you'd be happy doing knowing that you'll always work under the license or sponsorship of a MD/DO.

You could always apply through caribbean programs to be an MD if that's what you want to do, and as others have mentioned, DO is a great option too. Just don't give up on what you truly want (and take a slot from someone who really does want it) because you felt you weren't good enough in undergrad courses. Although DO and Caribbean grads likely have a harder time getting the more competitive residencies, they also have much less competition for admission and in the end you still get to take the same certification exam as someone who went to Harvard's MD program. I feel that the professions (PA and physician) are very different, even though they both practice medicine, and tend to appeal to different types of people. If you always wanted to be a doctor, being a PA might not be satisfying for you and it's way too time consuming and financially expensive to be a stepping stone to another career.

I must interject here. The first year of med school is for many folks the most difficult--there is nothing basic about what we call "basic sciences". If you struggle in intro bio, Chem, physics, magnify that times 5 and imagine doing detailed Biochem, genetics (with a heavy focus on molecular bio), embryology, Microbio/immunology, histology, physiology, and human anatomy--not to mention neuroanatomy which is by far the most difficult memorization-intense course I have ever taken hands-down.

My first semester medical school (DO) was 40 credits. No joke.

Made PA school seem like a pleasant walk in the park.

Not to discourage you too much, but I really think you should talk with your advisor and get some honest advice about your aptitude. You may be able to do it with learning different study strategies--but you need to learn them.

Either way, 21 is young and plenty of time to figure out the best path for YOU. I did PA school at 24 and DO school at 37...it was best for me but I wouldn't advise it for anyone else. M1 was the hardest year of my life...you couldn't pay me to do it again!

My advice would be to start shadowing some PAs, and shadow in several different specialties. That way you'll have something to compare to your MD shadowing experiences. I agree with Oneal, get a job in healthcare after you graduate and take the classes while you work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jovan
      I have a friend who is a fellow new grad PA, and she is considering a 2-year residency program in psych. She has a passion for psychiatry and could see herself making big differences there, however she is worried that she may begin to forget general medicine if she only works in psych for 2 or 3 years. Her other passion is ortho surgery (and other general surgery). She has also considered pediatrics and inpatient neonatal as other close-2nd choices.
      So, I'm wondering if anyone has had to decide between two fairly distinct specialties or switched between the two, years down the road. In particular has anyone here gone from a psych residency program to another specialty (or moonlighted / floated elsewhere)... or any other residency program to something else?
      In general, how difficult is it to find a general medicine or even surgery job after working only in psych for a while?
    • By UCSF Fresno
      The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) - Fresno Emergency Medicine PA Residency is accepting applications for the 2020 application cycle. This 18-month postgraduate program, affiliated with the UCSF School of Medicine, is designed to prepare PAs to practice in a variety of emergency medicine environments.
      We will be accepting 2 residents in 2020. The class will start June 29, 2020 but we will be offering rolling admissions into the Fall for accepted applicants who have a later PA school graduation date. 
      Deadline to apply is January 15, 2020. 
      Rotations include:
      Trauma Critical Care Pediatric Emergency Medicine Burn Orthopedics Dermatology Ophthalmology Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Toxicology Emergency Ultrasound Anesthesia EMS  Resuscitation courses include: ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS
      18-month stipend: $90,000
      Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, 401k, employee assistance program, 4 weeks of vacation, membership in the Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA), UCSF email access, textbook, malpractice coverage, and more.
      Paid travel to SEMPA 360, SEMPA's annual conference.
      Our state-of-the-art ED at Community Regional Medical Center serves as the only Level 1 Trauma Center/Burn Center for Central California, and handles an annual ED volume of over 110,000.
      The Department of Emergency Medicine hosts fellowships in Emergency Ultrasound, Medical Education, and Wilderness Medicine. Our faculty are involved with EM:RAP, EMS, wilderness medicine, ultrasound, medical education, toxicology, international emergency medicine, and more. They are also leaders within ACEP and SEMPA.
      For more information, please see the attached flyer.
      Website: http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant/

Email: em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu
      Residency Flyer.pdf
    • By UNM EMPA
      UNM EMPA RESIDENCY:
      The University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine is excited to announce that we are accepting applicants now for our 2020-2021 class. Applications will close Jan 15th, 2020. Our class will start the last week of June, 2018 for an 18-month program for 2 residents. This year we have expanded our eligibility to applicants graduating an ARC-PA accredited program prior to May 31st, 2020. We strive to equip physician assistants with the clinical experiences and didactic teaching that will enable them to practice high-quality, evidence based emergency medicine. Our graduates will have comfort and competence in the care of critically ill patients, the broad scope of emergent presentations, and the skills necessary to be leaders in their profession. 

Cirriculum (# of 4 week blocks)
      Dedicated Orientation Block (1) Adult ED, including dedicated longitudinal block in ED Resus Unit (8) Community ED (1) Peds ED (2) Medical ICU (1) Surgical ICU (1) Combined US/Anesthesia (1) Cardiology (1) Orthopedics (1) Toxicology (1/2) OB/GYN (1/2) Electives (2) Salary/Benefits:
      $57,000 yearly salary Access to health, vision, dental, disability insurance with employer matching Contribution to retirement Paid Vacation Paid travel and registration SEMPA 360 conference SEMPA membership $500 per year CME allowance ATLS, FCCS, and dedicated airway course in orientation Setting:
      New Mexico's only level 1 trauma center, academic hospital and children's hospital Tertiary referral center for large rural state, with high acuity patients Easy access to outdoor activities, climbing, biking, skiing, as well as wonderful food and culture Nationally recognized faculty in EMS, Critical Care, Wilderness Medicine, Simulation and many other areas Applications Open: October 1st, 2019
      Applications Close: January 15th, 2020
      Website: http://emed.unm.edu/education/prospective-applicants/physician-assistant-residency-in-emergency-medicine.html
      E-mail: cpkalan@salud.unm.edu
    • By ChowdaHead
      https://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/actspar

Wondering if anyone has any experience/information/thoughts UCSF Fresno, specifically this ACS/Trauma Surgery Residency. Considering relocating for the opportunity. New grad, I liked what I saw during the visit. Not looking for some one to make a decision for me, but any information would be great. 
      Thanks
    • By UpperLeftPAC
      Well, I've decided for certain that I am going to do an EM residency. My fiance and I have discussed this at length and he's fully in support, but with a caveat that he needs to be making more money to make up for my temporarily lost income first. Also, we are getting married in September of this year so we need to get that done first! He's an airline pilot and will be experiencing very sizable raises as he gains seniority in the upcoming months/years so I'm not worried that he won't be able to make up for my income, and I suspect that I would be able to start sometime around summer/fall of 2020 or maybe early 2021.
      That said, I'd like to make my application as competitive as possible. I have the impression that there is less competition for most residences than there is for PA school, but I am sure that will continue to change with time. I would hate to be building up to this plan and find myself behind the curve. I'm looking for input from anyone who has done any residency, and specifically EM of course. I work as a hospitalist currently, trying to pick up some UC or family medicine per diem work. What can I do to bolster an application? I am hoping to hit up the SEMPA EM bootcamp this summer and also plan to attend their conference next year. I don't know the likelihood that I'll be able to find EM work as someone who works full time in another specialty and has no EM experience outside of rotations in school, but if I have an opportunity I'll take it. Otherwise, just looking for ideas... 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More