questions regarding Urgent Care employment process

Hey community,

I'm an ER PA and in talks with an urgent care center for employment at one of their facilities.

I was actually cold called by them, asking if I was interesting in joining them as they're in need for additional staff because of suddenly increased volumes. As far as I'm aware, I was not specifically recommended to them. 

They pretty much told me the location, the offered rate and that was largely the extent of the conversation. I got more information about this urgent care in a follow-up call and everything seems like how a typical urgent care should be (MAs, RTs, x-rays, in house labs, common POC tests). They e-mailed me the contract which is very straightforward, and with a very competitive rate. 

I've only gone through hospital credential and not familiar with urgent care but shouldn't they want to know more about me before sending over a contract to sign or do I have this backwards? They only know I'm an ER PA. They didn't ask how long I've practiced, references, CV, certifications, malpractice history, etc. Is this standard with urgent cares?

• 1 month later...

Update: It's Covid-19 24/7. The UC practice sees 120-160 patients per day, within 12 hours, between 2 providers. I'd say ~ 95% Covid testing for travel, work clearance or personal curiosity.

There was no formal interview, but I asked enough questions during the EMR training where I felt comfortable pursuing and confirmed in subsequent shifts.

It's easy money in an urban setting with local hospitals for transfers when in doubt or abnormal VS.

The job and pay is refreshing in a climate of EM cuts and furloughs. Covid-19 money is somewhere and urgent care is a piece of it. 

Based on the numbers you're quoting, that's 60-80 patients per provider over 12 hours, or 5-6.5/hour.  Even if 95% are COVID tests and you spend only 3-4 minutes with them doing a quick HPI and listening to heart & lungs, that's going to be an exhausting pace, just to do the charting.  As you pick out the occasional sick one that either needs some Rx or needs referred to an ED, it's only going to be worse.

I did some of this in November-December.  It wasn't mentally tough, but it certainly wasn't easy money.

• Like 2