Job offer in a small town

Hello all,

hope you are all handling the COVID crisis all right. Just wanted to reach out for some quick input and advice! 🙂 

I am currently working in family Med and will be at my one year Mark March 1. I have started to look for other jobs as I would like to switch to a specialty and I haven’t like my job. I got an offer late last week for a GI job in a small town-an hour from home. Great training, half hosp/half clinic, increased pay, and benefits.

my concern is the smaller town as it is not my ideal circumstance-currently I am living in one.  However, I know I cannot afford to be picky with COVID and jobs being scarce. The job does not have a contract  but would prefer I stay at least 4 years.  

For context. I also am waiting to hear back on an interview I had in a bigger city along with a possible fellowship interview.

I know this does not have an exact answer but any input would be appreciated! thank you! 

anna 

I personally enjoyed small town medicine. However where I live I felt like I had the best of both world commuting 35 minutes from a mid major city to a small town. I got to practice small town medicine (which I much prefer) and feel like I was part of a community and also all the amenities of a major city with a doable commute and wasn’t constantly being hit up for free medical advice while at the grocery store. 

I loved it. However it sounds like you are more interested in working in a major market. So I would encourage you to hold out for a job that you feel like you’d have more longevity if all possible.  

Edited by newton9686
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Annabananna said:

About 40,000 people. And yes 1 year of training is definitely a plus. I had 3 weeks for family Med and I was on my own lol

That's perfect size. Plenty big where you don't see any patients in your day to day life. Likely lower cost of living compared to big city. Get to work in a smaller system that maybe you are not just a number.  I live in a community of 30,000 and would not want to work anywhere else.  Good money and low COL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Annabananna said:

About 40,000 people. And yes 1 year of training is definitely a plus. I had 3 weeks for family Med and I was on my own lol

I work in outpatient/inpatient GI in a town of 20k. That’s a city to me. GI can be cush depending on the practice. One year of training is gold. 

• Thanks 1

40k isn’t a booming metropolis, I get it, but to me it’s closer to that than small town. I grew up in a town of 7k. Compared to living in a city of 175k, my current home of 75k, and where I work having 4K, I think 40k sounds just right depending on if it’s “up and coming” old towns or one of those cities that only exists because it has an oatmeal factory