Army PA Life

If you are a new PA in the Army expect to be assigned as the medical officer in a maneuver (field) battalion. This means you go where the battalion goes. If they go to the field. you go to the field If they are deployed, you are deployed.  In summary you are the medical provider for that battalion and responsible for the medical care of the soldiers of that battalion. In addition you are part of the battalion staff. You are the chief advisor to the battalion commander on all medical matters.

In the cantonment area you will more than likely be assigned to a Troop Medical Clinic. In the mornings you will be  providing sick call for active duty soldiers.  In the afternoon you will either train your medics or be assigned a position at the local military hospital on the post you are assigned to. More likely than not it will be some sort of Urgent Care clinic where you will see walk in Retirees, dependents  or Active Duty Soldiers. You might be assigned to work some weekends covering the Troop Medical Clinics or the Emergency Room. 

In the field you will live with your medics. You are responsible for everything medical in the field. Everything. This includes your medics, supplies and the medical care provided. You are responsible and accountable for all the medical equipment in your battalion aid station. You will need a strong group of medics to help and support you. This may be your biggest challenge. I have seen many Army Physician Assistants fail because of lack of training of your medics within your section. This training includes medical, supplies and administration of providing medical care in the field.

In regards to duty stations, if you are a new Physician Assistant look at the Army locations that support maneuver divisions. Ft Bragg, Ft Campbell, Ft Hood etc. That is where you will go. The Physician Assistant position in the Army is to support the ground troops at the lowest level. Just a handful of positions are available at non division level duty stations.

As far as favorite duty stations I would say I enjoyed all of them. Some more then other. I always told my medics if you want to be miserable you will be. If you are surrounded by good people then life is not bad.  I had great medics working for me.  My Commanders respected my opinions. My last duty station was Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I loved it there. Worked Troop Medical Clinic in AM and Primary Care some afternoons and at my Engineer Battalion Aid station several days a week. I never made it to Europe but every PA I ever talked to  enjoyed that tour of duty. It is a accompanied tour meaning you can take your family. Also did TDY (180 day short tour) to Ft Wainwright/Greeley Alaska. Great tour. ETS from the Army was when told I would do a one year tour to Korea unaccompanied.  My wife had just had just given birth to our little girl and I had a two year old son. Wasn't going to leave her by herself so I got out after 12 years and finished in the Army Reserves and National Guard.

As far as other educational once you are in and establish yourself as a asset to the Army specialty training is available in orthopedics, emergency medicine, occupational health, cardiac perfusion and aviation medicine to name a few.

Practicing medicine as a Army Physician Assistant gives you a lot of independence. With that independence comes responsibility. As a stated above you are the medical consultant to the Battalion commander. He will look to you for advice and opinions on the health and welfare of his soldiers. The learning curve is steep, conditions are challenging but extremely rewarding if you are successful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDIowa said:

If you are a new PA in the Army expect to be assigned as the medical officer in a maneuver (field) battalion. This means you go where the battalion goes. If they go to the field. you go to the field If they are deployed, you are deployed.  In summary you are the medical provider for that battalion and responsible for the medical care of the soldiers of that battalion. In addition you are part of the battalion staff. You are the chief advisor to the battalion commander on all medical matters.

In the cantonment area you will more than likely be assigned to a Troop Medical Clinic. In the mornings you will be  providing sick call for active duty soldiers.  In the afternoon you will either train your medics or be assigned a position at the local military hospital on the post you are assigned to. More likely than not it will be some sort of Urgent Care clinic where you will see walk in Retirees, dependents  or Active Duty Soldiers. You might be assigned to work some weekends covering the Troop Medical Clinics or the Emergency Room. 

In the field you will live with your medics. You are responsible for everything medical in the field. Everything. This includes your medics, supplies and the medical care provided. You are responsible and accountable for all the medical equipment in your battalion aid station. You will need a strong group of medics to help and support you. This may be your biggest challenge. I have seen many Army Physician Assistants fail because of lack of training of your medics within your section. This training includes medical, supplies and administration of providing medical care in the field.

In regards to duty stations, if you are a new Physician Assistant look at the Army locations that support maneuver divisions. Ft Bragg, Ft Campbell, Ft Hood etc. That is where you will go. The Physician Assistant position in the Army is to support the ground troops at the lowest level. Just a handful of positions are available at non division level duty stations.

As far as favorite duty stations I would say I enjoyed all of them. Some more then other. I always told my medics if you want to be miserable you will be. If you are surrounded by good people then life is not bad.  I had great medics working for me.  My Commanders respected my opinions. My last duty station was Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I loved it there. Worked Troop Medical Clinic in AM and Primary Care some afternoons and at my Engineer Battalion Aid station several days a week. I never made it to Europe but every PA I ever talked to  enjoyed that tour of duty. It is a accompanied tour meaning you can take your family. Also did TDY (180 day short tour) to Ft Wainwright/Greeley Alaska. Great tour. ETS from the Army was when told I would do a one year tour to Korea unaccompanied.  My wife had just had just given birth to our little girl and I had a two year old son. Wasn't going to leave her by herself so I got out after 12 years and finished in the Army Reserves and National Guard.

As far as other educational once you are in and establish yourself as a asset to the Army specialty training is available in orthopedics, emergency medicine, occupational health, cardiac perfusion and aviation medicine to name a few.

Practicing medicine as a Army Physician Assistant gives you a lot of independence. With that independence comes responsibility. As a stated above you are the medical consultant to the Battalion commander. He will look to you for advice and opinions on the health and welfare of his soldiers. The learning curve is steep, conditions are challenging but extremely rewarding if you are successful. 

Do you have any experience with the Army's active duty health professions loan repayment program?