Jump to content

Neckties, Bowties, or No Ties?

Recommended Posts

Wife just accused my necktie collection of being “old and ratty.” Was about to buy some more but I thought I remembered hearing they’re germ magnets. Those of you who dress up for work, what style of noose are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cideous said:

scrubs, but if you have to wear a tie make it a traditional.  Only nerds wear bowties...like Tucker Carlson lol

and lots of neurologists for some reason

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

 

synonyms people...

Remember the first time I saw a neuro resident (in a bowtie) come rushing into a status patient's room, his bandolier of reflex hammers, tuning hammer holsters and bag full of...?... flying to the bedside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ties have run their lifespan - I don’t wear them as a girl, but 99% of my male colleagues and those even in boss positions don’t wear them.

Germy, flappy and prone to stains. 

Due to COVID, I have started wearing only a silicone wedding ring, small earrings, no watch or bracelets and rarely a necklace. Everything I wear gets washed that night. 

Wardrobes are changing for the most part in medicine.

I vote for embroidered golf shirts or T shirts for everyone. 

Plus, psych patients LOVE to yank ties and babies tend to puke on them.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started my position, I was told by supervising physician "You must wear a shirt and tie.  If you don't wear a tie, you must wear your white coat."  That lasted for about 2 weeks.

I wear khaki pants, a dress shirt, no tie, no dress-shoes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

When I started my position, I was told by supervising physician "You must wear a shirt and tie.  If you don't wear a tie, you must wear your white coat."  That lasted for about 2 weeks.

I wear khaki pants, a dress shirt, no tie, no dress-shoes.  

Yep, I wore a tie to start, but I stopped the day I almost dripped sweat into an incision because the women in the office complained if the temperature was below "HELL mode."  About 6 months later the practice manager and CEO tried to mandate that all providers wear their white coats...nobody did and the requirement became a suggestion within 3 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the UK they've even gone so far as to make people wear nothing below the elbows.  What I find ironic is people still wear ID on long neck lanyards, which flop around more than ties...and depending on your outer wear, can't always be tucked into a pocket when leaning over someone.  Guess your old tie clips for those that wore ties (if I was wearing one, it always clipped in) could to be used on lanyards, though not practical on scrubs.  I use a clip for my ID - don't like lanyards.  It goes on my scrub top pocket or on my belt if wearing golf shirt.

Edited by sk732
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear an open collar shift, Dockers, and usually a white coat. I wore a tie for a while but got tired of it rubbing against in-patient toes during my hunt for peripheral edema.

Actually an ID specialist I know wears a bowtie. It's not me though so I've never done that. Also I'm in my 70s now and not trying to climb any corporate ladders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

Yep, I wore a tie to start, but I stopped the day I almost dripped sweat into an incision because the women in the office complained if the temperature was below "HELL mode."  About 6 months later the practice manager and CEO tried to mandate that all providers wear their white coats...nobody did and the requirement became a suggestion within 3 days.

Laughing my butt off as I, a female, sit in my office with the window open for ventilation and it is 48 degrees outside. God bless estrogen patches................

I can put more clothes on - NO ONE wants me to reduce clothing. And white coats are hot and tight and uncomfortable. 

Only doing phone visits - so not harming any patients.

And the ventilation is GREAT. 

Get all the women in the office snugli's for Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told at a job years ago that I HAD to wear a white coat. I tried to warn them but noooooooo.....
After a couple of weeks of scaring patients because I was lathering like a horse under the whip they finally let me off the hook. I walked around all day looking like a pending stroke.

I have never had a job where a tie was required....yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of us in my group wear either scrub tops or embroidered Nike golf shirts.  Not many wear a white coat.  A few old timers still wear them but that's it.

We have one guy who, pre-COVID, wore a tie and a white coat every day.  The white coat was always buttoned.  He had a tie clip holding the tie in.  I don't know how he managed. Since COVID hit, though, he's gone with just scrubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

Not a bad idea... Does it still work if I suck at golf?

oh man I tried golf once, and only once.   yet I still wear a golf shirt....  looks good, no ironing, no choice of what to wear every morning, and a tx write off uniforms....

8 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

When I started my position, I was told by supervising physician "You must wear a shirt and tie.  If you don't wear a tie, you must wear your white coat."  That lasted for about 2 weeks.

I wear khaki pants, a dress shirt, no tie, no dress-shoes.  

strong work

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Laughing my butt off as I, a female, sit in my office with the window open for ventilation and it is 48 degrees outside. God bless estrogen patches................

I can put more clothes on - NO ONE wants me to reduce clothing. And white coats are hot and tight and uncomfortable. 

Only doing phone visits - so not harming any patients.

And the ventilation is GREAT. 

Get all the women in the office snugli's for Christmas.

I actually did get them blankets, but I'm not there anymore.  Working ortho now I wear either scrubs or a polo.  There has been discussion about getting the providers embroidered scrub tops which I would fully support.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

I actually did get them blankets, but I'm not there anymore.  Working ortho now I wear either scrubs or a polo.  There has been discussion about getting the providers embroidered scrub tops which I would fully support.

I wear embroidered scrub tops whenever I can, because it says "PA-C" whether I remember to introduce myself as a PA or not, and isn't a badge or name tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Laughing my butt off as I, a female, sit in my office with the window open for ventilation and it is 48 degrees outside. God bless estrogen patches................

I can put more clothes on - NO ONE wants me to reduce clothing. And white coats are hot and tight and uncomfortable. 

Only doing phone visits - so not harming any patients.

And the ventilation is GREAT. 

Get all the women in the office snugli's for Christmas.

Are you seeing any face to face patients?  We’re up to full capacity, 15 a day.  I just wear a polo shirt with a fleece from my last job.  Because it’s freezing in the clinic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port Authority button down shirt embroidered with my name, credentials, and "Emergency Medicine" with a logo.  Topper BDU pants, fleece embroidered the same as a the shirt.  None of the docs, PA's, or NP's in my ED where white coats, but I'm only 1 of 2 not wearing scrubs.  I just don't like them.  Haven't worn a tie since my days in corporate America except for weddings, funerals, or when I'm wearing my class A's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

Are you seeing any face to face patients?  We’re up to full capacity, 15 a day.  I just wear a polo shirt with a fleece from my last job.  Because it’s freezing in the clinic.

We are only seeing face to face one day a week per PCP. There are 25 of us. We rotate to keep body count down in the halls, preserve PPE and try to keep up. We are already landlocked in our space in the clinic and folks are stacked like sardines.

Our county sucks at COVID and numbers have not gone down in a long time. We are averaging 75-100+ new cases per day in the county and our vets are all super high risk. We are also piloting the new EMR and things are nuts.

So, throw in an election and the general state of the world - we are doing what we can.

Not sure when we will move back up to anything that resembles a normal. The new EMR is dictating a lot - being the first to go live - we find bugs, glitches, omissions and everything all day long. 

My room is cold but I don't tell engineering - they might make it hot...... not worth the battle - just wear a sweater. 

We have a no denim rule and no t-shirts (round collar like a concert T-shirt) - providers are not supposed to wear scrubs but we do on face to face days along with gowns, shields and N95s. 

I was working at home 2 days a week but can't during computer turnover - hopefully back to one day a week at least soon - flu and COVID and the new EMR will keep us limited for a long time to come.

The going for a walk around campus is long gone now - already had 7 inches of snow last week that melted and now cold, rainy and fall again. Time to break out the sunlight lamp in my office.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

We are only seeing face to face one day a week per PCP. There are 25 of us. We rotate to keep body count down in the halls, preserve PPE and try to keep up. We are already landlocked in our space in the clinic and folks are stacked like sardines.

Our county sucks at COVID and numbers have not gone down in a long time. We are averaging 75-100+ new cases per day in the county and our vets are all super high risk. We are also piloting the new EMR and things are nuts.

So, throw in an election and the general state of the world - we are doing what we can.

Not sure when we will move back up to anything that resembles a normal. The new EMR is dictating a lot - being the first to go live - we find bugs, glitches, omissions and everything all day long. 

My room is cold but I don't tell engineering - they might make it hot...... not worth the battle - just wear a sweater. 

We have a no denim rule and no t-shirts (round collar like a concert T-shirt) - providers are not supposed to wear scrubs but we do on face to face days along with gowns, shields and N95s. 

I was working at home 2 days a week but can't during computer turnover - hopefully back to one day a week at least soon - flu and COVID and the new EMR will keep us limited for a long time to come.

The going for a walk around campus is long gone now - already had 7 inches of snow last week that melted and now cold, rainy and fall again. Time to break out the sunlight lamp in my office.....

Heh, I’ll be relocating to Florida in three weeks, I’ll send you a picture of the sun if you want.  And the VA I’m in now doesn’t give a hoot about screening, we had a covid positive patient, sick as a dog walk in past the electronic gizmos, past the apparently blind screener, and then wait in the wr for a bit before coming into the exam room.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More