Unhappy in medical field?

I'm curious to know if there is anyone who is unhappy being a PA and burned out by medicine in general? Hear it a lot from doctors but not so much from PAs. I've been practicing for around 6 years and I already doubt my decision to get into medical field in general. Having second thoughts about a change in line but not sure what. I would assume if anyone quit being a PA, he/she would not be active on this forum but in case they are, I'm curious.

It's not so much that I hate medicine. It's just not as fulfilling as I thought it would be. 

I see.

Makes sense I guess.

Am curious what other career paths other people pursued. I've been looking into it. It sucks because you put in all this time, effort and money and who wants to go back to school, take on more loans just to change your career completely? Not me. I do not want to go back to school.

Anyhow, I knew it was stressful from the beginning but I thought I could get through with it. Now all I can think is that I can't imagine retiring like this. 

Maybe I just needed to vent. 

Thanks to anyone who read this.

If anyone completely changed career paths, I'm really curious to know what you decided to do.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Nope you didn't.  It's just that every 3rd thread is about burnout, dissatisfaction, etc.  It's not you, it's just medicine in general.  It wears us down.

The solution, of course, is to not do "just medicine in general".  Everyone I've talked to in DPC, for example, loves it.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, kang1208 said:

Thoughts on going back to school for hospital/healthcare administration? We needed more PAs in administrative roles to represent us as most of the healthcare administrations are dominated by RN/NPs/MD/DOs...

I got my MHA, but administration is a lot of who you know. There are some jobs for new administrators out there; however, the pay typically sucks.

If anyone knows of an open position in a decent-paying administrative role, I would happily work to better represent PAs lol...

38 minutes ago, mmiller3 said:

I got my MHA, but administration is a lot of who you know. There are some jobs for new administrators out there; however, the pay typically sucks.

If anyone knows of an open position in a decent-paying administrative role, I would happily work to better represent PAs lol...

I know a fair about admin jobs out there for PA's post clinical work.  They are very rare and very difficult to get unless, as stated above, you know someone willing to hire you on and mentor you.  The market is extremely competitive for those jobs.  Also, it matters which school you go too.  In Texas, the VAST majority of jobs go to Trinity college health administration grads.  They have a huge network and are the only school that I know of that guarantees you an internship.  Texas has several MBA programs, but Trinity is the only school that really owns that market.  Oh...and it's $80k grand.  Enjoy.