Medical Literature Writing/Reviewing

• Administrator

So, I just got a second piece accepted to JAAPA, and finished my first peer review of someone else's work today.  I feel like I should have been doing this earlier in my PA career, especially since I'm working on an unrelated masters degree.

Once I get the hang of this, I think I'm going to start mentoring PAs interested in academic writing.  I like writing, and establishing the publication track record that I may need if I'm ever to get an academic position in the future, but through an odd series of degree choices I really never achieved experience or proficiency one might have expected, given the amount of time I have invested in higher education.

Anyone else interested in the topic?

31 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

So, I just got a second piece accepted to JAAPA, and finished my first peer review of someone else's work today.  I feel like I should have been doing this earlier in my PA career, especially since I'm working on an unrelated masters degree.

Once I get the hang of this, I think I'm going to start mentoring PAs interested in academic writing.  I like writing, and establishing the publication track record that I may need if I'm ever to get an academic position in the future, but through an odd series of degree choices I really never achieved experience or proficiency one might have expected, given the amount of time I have invested in higher education.

Anyone else interested in the topic?

Funny, just got my second piece accepted about a month ago! Completely agree that this should be something encouraged, probably while in school. It helps cement your knowledge of a topic and demonstrate scholastic ability to further solidify your CV.

And if you're thinking academics I think MEDEX is hiring for all 5 campuses (including Hawaii).

13 hours ago, rev ronin said:

"I like writing, and establishing the publication track record that I may need if I'm ever to get an academic position in the future,.."

Besides academia, there are many jobs out there for medical writers! These match even more closely what you are describing:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Medical-Writer-jobs.html?vjk=1e4453c2d485001b

https://www.indeed.com/q-Remote-Medical-Writer-jobs.html?vjk=1a87442335ed02ce

I've written three books and have a chapter in two large medical texts and about four hundred articles. I like writing but not highly academic writing as a researcher. Ron, you always give logical, honest and great guidance as an administrator which has made many of our lives richer. Go for it. JAAPA is not an easy publication to get the nod from.