2012-2013 Application Cycle

Congrats to those have heard good news. Chris, I would definitely get some hours in and keep Me. Metz informed. Although I didn't get accepted last year, every major change I completed at Mr. Metz request I informed him about. I'm almost positive that would show your willingness and determination. Good luck next go around.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone in regular admissions been invited for an interview yet?? Also, does anyone know if its more difficult for an out of state student to be accepted?

I have met with them several times while in Charleston and they made a comment to me that it is more difficult for out-of-state students, because MUSC is the only PA program in the state of South Carolina so they take a majority of in state students. I have a friend applying to their medical school, and its the same for that program as well, unfortunately.

Interview given via e-mail then should call. PrePA can you inbox me your info if you don't mind. I think it would be a good idea to know people at the interview to make the day less anxiety provoking! Congrats, look forward to meeting you. Mine said 10:55. Good luck to those waiting and interviewing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy Sunday everyone,

I interviewed at MUSC last Friday and absolutely loved the program. For those of you that interviewed early, I was wondering how many applicants they interviewed and if you know roughly how many got in? I'd guesstimate there were about 40 total last week (counting both groups) and assume there were about the same number this week. Just trying to figure out my chances so if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

dancinpa - are you a college senior, recent grad or have you been out working in the healthcare field? I know Duke listed 1000+ hours of hands on experience preferred so wondered how closely they adhered to that - whatever you did it was good enough to gain acceptance into some good programs...thanks for the info

dancinpa - are you a college senior, recent grad or have you been out working in the healthcare field? I know Duke listed 1000+ hours of hands on experience preferred so wondered how closely they adhered to that - whatever you did it was good enough to gain acceptance into some good programs...thanks for the info

After graduating a few years ago I started working full time as a CNA while taking prereq's. By the time I was ready to apply in August, I had almost 3000 hours of patient care experience. As far as I know Duke is pretty strict about the 1000 hour requirement. This is from Duke's website:

A minimum of 1,000 hours of patient care experience is required with direct, "hands-on" patient contact (e.g., EMT or paramedic, health educator, RN, patient care attendant or nurse's aide, clinic assistant, Peace Corps volunteer or other cross-cultural health care experience, technologist, therapist, clinical research assistant, etc.). 1,000 hours of patient care experience must be completed no later than October 1, 2013.

Hope this helps!

After graduating a few years ago I started working full time as a CNA while taking prereq's. By the time I was ready to apply in August, I had almost 3000 hours of patient care experience. As far as I know Duke is pretty strict about the 1000 hour requirement. This is from Duke's website:

A minimum of 1,000 hours of patient care experience is required with direct, "hands-on" patient contact (e.g., EMT or paramedic, health educator, RN, patient care attendant or nurse's aide, clinic assistant, Peace Corps volunteer or other cross-cultural health care experience, technologist, therapist, clinical research assistant, etc.). 1,000 hours of patient care experience must be completed no later than October 1, 2013.

Hope this helps!

It really does - thank you for taking the time to detail your experience & best to you at Duke!

Archived