2012-2013 Application Cycle

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied 2 days ago. Still waiting on my transcripts to be received. I just interviewed for South University in Savannah thurs and fri. Hope to hear from them in the next two weeks. MUSC is my 2nd (due to location and start date) but I hear that the program is fantastic.

Awesome! Congrats on already having an interview! MUSC is my #1. I have visited their program, and I literally fell so in love with it, that I'm not sure why I applied to 9 other schools haha. The admissions committee told me last week that they will not begin reviewing applications til after October 1. They don't do rolling admissions for the priority applicants. Best of luck to you!!! Stay in touch. Hope to see you in SC eventually!

Hey Shannon, nice to see some other applicants on here! I'm working on my essay, as well, mostly by condensing my CASPA personal statement. Have you visited the program? I certainly fell in love with it at the information session I attended. Stats are as follows:

Undergrad: Bachelor's in Biochemistry from Hiram College (Ohio)

Science GPA: 3.4

Cumulative (CASPA's still working on that) ~3.23

Direct Patient Care: STNA/CNA - 166 hours

Volunteer at Free Medical Clinic - Just began in June, so about 20 hours

Shadowing - 24 hours with neurosurgery PA

GRE: 155 V, 151 Q, 4.5 writing

Currently working for an MD/PhD at a world-renowned university doing ovarian and cervical cancer research

LOR's: 1 from microbiology internship supervisor, 1 from college academic advisor/professor, 1 from my boss (debating replacing him with the PA I shadowed?)

I'm a cancer survivor, myself, I began college while going through chemo, so that's my motivation to be a PA.

Congrats on finishing up school!!! Are you graduating early? Good luck in classes this fall!!!! Hope to see you at an interview :)

Wow your stats are awesome and your story is definitely inspiring! But yes I am graduating early this December with a degree in biology, I work as a ER tech at a local hospital so I wanted to graduate early to get in some extra patient care hours! Im so glad you made this thread! Hope to see you as well :)

Hi! I am applying to MUSC for the upcoming cycle as well. I submitted my online application and I am waiting for all my transcripts to be mailed there, I am mailing the supplemental today! D3t3rm1n3d my stats are practically identical to you except my GRE is a little lower ( im not a great standardized test taker). I have about 200 hours of shadowing, 300 hours as a EMS attendant for Fordham University (where I graduated from this past May!), 80 hours from being part of the medical team for the NYC marathon, and 1500 as an athletic trainer for a competitive gymnastics team. I am just finishing up Anatomy and Physiology II and Medical Biochemistry this summer and then I'll be working in healthcare somewhere to keep up on my hours!

Good Luck to everyone! Hopefully we will hear sooner than later and meet each other at interview dates!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I am a current 1st PA student at MUSC. We are insanely busy right now with finals coming up but if I can help you all in any way feel free to ask. I may not get back to you right away but I know how it feels to be where you are right now! I love MUSC so far, you guys are making a great choice by applying here. Good luck with your applications!

Hey guys I am a current 1st PA student at MUSC. We are insanely busy right now with finals coming up but if I can help you all in any way feel free to ask. I may not get back to you right away but I know how it feels to be where you are right now! I love MUSC so far, you guys are making a great choice by applying here. Good luck with your applications!

Thanks, dlandes! What do you like most about the curriculum? Is there anything problematic about it? Good luck on finals!!! :D :D

I had a 3.99 GPA, 1170 GRE and 300 hrs of PA shadowing. I didn't have any paid hands on training because I played college baseball and didn't have much time beyond shadowing here and there in the summers. There is nothing I particularly dislike, other than the fact that we have to maintain an 85% cumulative average in order to avoid academic probation. I haven't really flirted with that line at all yet but it is always in the back of my head. Anatomy is tough but the professor is absolutely amazing! If you all have not turned in your applications yet here are a few things to think about putting in your essays. Talk about interprofessionalism (working with other professions like PT, OT, MD), they are really big on it here. Absolutely DO NOT write physician assistant's/PA's (simply put PAs), one of our professors biggest pet peeves is the 's which denotes ownership of the PA. Also do not say PAs work UNDER the supervision of an MD; instead say works WITH the supervision of an MD. Be ready to answer questions about strengths and weaknesses and don't be that person that says "I'm a perfectionist, or I overwork myself" they can see through the BS trust me. Again I really enjoy it here so far, but there is no way around it, your world is going to be rocked. If you all have anymore questions feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently working on my online application but could some one please tell me where to find the supplemental. All I could conclude from reading the site is that the supplemental consists of GRE scores, transcripts, and recommendations (which I thought is submitted with the online application electronically?). Is there an actual supplemental application to fill out?

Once you are finished with the supplemental application, MUSC will email you with the link for the pdf file of all the remaining required documents (documented HCE hours, class taken/planned to take, etc.) You'll send those materials by mail to MUSC, in addition to the transcripts your university will send. Hope that helps!

I just have a quick question about MUSC's application. For the section where you enter the information for your references to complete a recommendation online, does anyone know if it is like CASPA where it will go ahead and email your references with a link to complete the reference, or will it wait to email them until you submit your entire MUSC application? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to try to submit this whole application ASAP so my references have time to fill out the recommendation before the deadline, or if I should just send them a paper reference form. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

So glad someone started this thread. I too am a MUSC hopeful. Submitted my application in August and am attempting to be patient now that the Oct. 1 deadline has occured. MUSC was my only application. I figured I would throw my hat in the ring to my top school and see what happens. Fingers crossed. Hope to meet you all soon and share the anxiety :)

As for my stats...

BA in psychology 3.5 GPA

Science GPA: 3.4

Masters in Social Work 3.8 GPA

Clinical Licensure in Social Work

GRE waived

10,000 plus hours of Clinical Work

Currently working full time and finishing my last 2 Chem pre-reqs. (It will be worth it, it will be worth it, it will be worth it...)

Archived