Hospitalist PA via a staffing service as opposed to directly VIA the hospital

Hey guys, 

I'm conflicted regarding a position offered to me for a Hospitalist positions via a staffing company.  

My concerns are: They are about to hire me and I never actually had an interview, met any supervising doctor, been able to even shadow. There is just 2-3 days of "shadowing/training" AFTER I sign up with the group. The program is growing and the salary is above the national average >120K (14 shifts/month 12 hr each/nights/swing), 1.5K CME, 3 weeks vacation 1 week sick, flimsy medical/dental, and claim to have malpractice w/tail.  No cap on the census w/ lots of admits.  

I'm coming from mostly ICU with a bit of hospitalist experience.  Given that there is no real training and they expect the APPs to be nearly completely autonomyous from the moment they walk through the door, I'm feeling some red flags at least from where I am coming from.   Also since its a for profit, no longer eligible for PSLF, not strong benefits, and no proper on- boarding. 

Am I crazy for thinkiing on passing on this? 

No. Follow your gut. Hired without an interview or meeting the doc? Huge red flags. Sounds like a "warm body makes money" situation.

I hired into a remote job in Alaska from Texas and even under those circumstances I had a long telephone interview with the VP. Then another with the doc. Then I was given current PAs to call and speak to.

This is worrisome.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This is somewhat typical of locums jobs.  You would likely speak to the hospitalist director or CMO at some point over the phone, if not in person when you show up for orientation.  Locums positions are not ideal unless you have a lot of experience in that field because, as you said, you are expected to hit the ground running.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 2:16 AM, mic87 said:

Hey guys, 

I'm conflicted regarding a position offered to me for a Hospitalist positions via a staffing company.  

My concerns are: They are about to hire me and I never actually had an interview, met any supervising doctor, been able to even shadow. There is just 2-3 days of "shadowing/training" AFTER I sign up with the group. The program is growing and the salary is above the national average >120K (14 shifts/month 12 hr each/nights/swing), 1.5K CME, 3 weeks vacation 1 week sick, flimsy medical/dental, and claim to have malpractice w/tail.  No cap on the census w/ lots of admits.  

I'm coming from mostly ICU with a bit of hospitalist experience.  Given that there is no real training and they expect the APPs to be nearly completely autonomous from the moment they walk through the door, I'm feeling some red flags at least from where I am coming from.   Also since its a for profit, no longer eligible for PSLF, not strong benefits, and no proper on- boarding. 

Am I crazy for thinking on passing on this? 

If you have doubts and can't get answers or commitments in writing, bail don't do it! Just my $.02 worth